“Very comfortable and convenient”

Essence Serviced Apartments
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chermside
Hervey Bay, Australia
“Very comfortable and convenient”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we walked through the door of our 2 bedroom apartment. Each room had a bathroom and the living area is quite large. The verandah is huge by hotel standards and very safe for children as there is nothing for them to climb. Both bedroom had a TV as well as a a larger TV in the living area. Cooking appliances were modern and efficient - cooktop, oven, microwave, single drawer dishwasher and very efficient fridge/freezer. There were 4 frozen meals in the freezer that you could heat up for under $10 each on your room tab, as well as the normal drinks etc. Great idea! On the same turf as Prince Charles / Holy Spirit North Side hospitals - so would be ideal if you have family in hospital there. We were attending a party in Everton Park which turned out to be 5 min drive away. 5 minutes drive to Westfield Shopping Centre in Chermside. Very happy with our stay

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback about our hotel, it is always pleasing to know that our guests enjoy our beautifully appointed apartments and facilities. We hope you enjoyed the party that you attended as well and look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
Christine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Essence is the company-provided accommodation for our flight crew. We got the "long" four days/three nights layover this time and I was given a one-bedroom suite.

I like to "move in" when my layover is more than an overnighter and I did just that. There's plenty of space in the closet in the bedroom and in the cupboards in the kitchen. The suite is well-equipped with all the things needed for an extended stay.

It takes less than 10 minutes to walk to Gympie Road, where you can find an Aldi grocery store and many restaurants. Cooking is a serious hobby for me and Aldi is not very complete. The Westfield Shopping Centre is much more comprehensive and is only a 10 minute ride on the 334 bus that stops in front of the apartments.

The staff was very friendly and did not hesitate to go out of their way to accommodate several requests.

Rode Rd. is pretty busy during business hours and you need to pay lots of attention when crossing. My suite was on the fourth floor facing Rode Rd. and it was very quiet as long as the sliding door to the balcony was closed. The place is pretty dead at night except for the occasional ambulance from the adjacent hospital. If you are a night person without a car, you will find it slightly inconvenient. But the airline put us there to rest between flights and night life was not one of the considerations. =8-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, it is greatly appreciated and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Essence Serviced Apartments. We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 10, 2013

As soon as we checked in problems arose. I had emailed this place 2 months prior to checking in and primarily as I wanted to know if there was a gym for us. The emails boasted that they had the best as it was adjacent to a fully equipped gym that we can use. Once checked in we were told that we can only be given 1 pass, once per day and I would need to go alone to a 'boxing gym' across the busy road. That was not what we were told in writing and I whipped out my phone to show the receptionist who agreed. She proceeded to tell the manager who was hidden behind a wall and I could hear her telling the receptionist that she didn't care and 1 pass was all that we could get.
We went upstairs upset and then I thought ...'hang on I am paying extra for this place due to the gym and gym only' so we went down to talk to the reception again.
Again she said there was nothing she can do due to the manager. I didn't budge. Finally the manager called her to tell her to make us sit like 2 school children and wait for her. She was very patronising and took my personal phone and went through every email like a police officer!
My privacy was invaded, I was physically shaking but am quite shy and reserved and just sat there thinking 'what the hell is going on!'
She saw that we were correct re. the emails we received but stated it was one particular staffs mistake and if we had gone through the website we would know get 'multiple' passes especially since we were given a 'discounted rate'.
I told her we found them through Facebook in which she guffawed and asked how it would be found via Facebook as she didn't believe me! Very ironic as in the lifts it has 'find us on Facebook' and yet the own manager had no idea how it worked!
Sat down for 10 minutes whilst she stood over me and flicked through all my emails, not only the one which stated about the gym...still very upset at that. After the debacle she stated' out of goodwill' we can sign for 2 as she has to pay $26 for it each time. Shaking I went back up to my room and instantly felt claustrophobic. A bed in a kitchen. The fridge was noisy and you couldn't switch the kettle on without a fan. The tv was near the front door and hard to see from the bed. All I could see was prices and amounts for if a fire alarm was set off, if you lose your keys, if you oversleep on check out.
Wow...very money minded! Especially the we GIVE YOU FREE BREAKFAST everywhere like we should feel so honoured! Disgraceful and quite embarrassing considering the buffet breakfast consists of sugar cereal from aldis, bread and apples. You can buy that for $2 and skip the hassle of getting up early and being watched by a staff member whilst you eat.
Good luck in the reserved parking as well which seems to be hired out to businesses 7am to 5.
I know this sounds like rant but the treatment affected our whole stay in Brisbane. It is not on for management to treat guests like this. She went on about her experience in hospitality. My partner works in the industry and knows what should not be done. I am dreading the reply via this site where they will tell me how the breakfast was their gift and make it sound like I was in the wrong. There is no excuse on how I was treated. I did not do anything wrong but go by what was written to me via email and state facts. Not happy. I am glad that we went to the aspley carsel for the remainder of our stay and we saw that not all of the accom in the area is terrible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank sunseekers247
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Staff and management sincerely believe that a difference of opinion is in play with these comments and we will duly follow up within our normal policies and produces, not in a public forum to minimize any further distress for this guest.

It is always our policy to provide a clear and transparent product information including our value adds such as Gym, Car parking, Wifi and Breakfast at our hotel which have been enjoyed by thousands of guests since we have opened in 2011.

We do however wish to advise that it is clearly stated on our website that we provide one complimentary gym pass per room per night, our Studio Apartments are an open plan as per the floor plan and images contained on the utube and image gallery.

At no time would any of our management or staff intend to invade anyone’s privacy and fail to understand how it could be interpreted as such, when the guest of her volition handed her personal phone to our manager so that she could read the correspondence the guest was referring too!.

Hervey Bay, Australia
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my daughter. Great location, great apartment. Very modern and well set out. Heard no road noise at all. Breakfast the next morning was a bonus. Rated the service as average as we waited 20 mins in reception which was unattended ....would stay here again

• Stayed May 2013
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Only stayed one night at this pleasant apartment located adjacent to Holy Spirit Northside Hospital. The welcome was warm - but the water wasn't. I had a sleep in and got up at 8am and was surprised to find the shower was only tepid. The room was clean and well appointed - especially so for longer stays. No alcohol in the fridge (ahh!) but soft drinks and a couple of frozen meals (nice touch) were available.
The wireless internet was a good speed (especially compared to the rubbish some of the 5 star hotels charge for these days) and was included in the room. A complementary breakfast of cereal, toast and condiments with juice was provided. A free pass for the gym located over a very busy road - you take your life in your hands crossing it - be warned.
A good size balcony - but looking out on the busy and noise road.
I liked this place and would recommend for anyone seeking a reasonably priced apartment located in north Brisbane. Took about 15 mins in a taxi to get to the city center - $22 including tolls for the tunnel.

Room Tip: The room I was in had interconnection with the room next door and was a little noisy - could hear TV...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Grasstree Beach, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have read most of the revues on trip advisor and agree with most of them and can understand where the negative revues are coming from, but can see they are being a little harsh.
My wife and I stay there in February, I found the apartment to be good sized, clean and well appointed, we had no trouble with parking. No restaurant was a problem with us, but we new that before booking. The free breakfast offered is continental, I wish this would be stated when booking, as my wife is gluten intolerant.....no breakfast for her.

Likes:
Good Location
Plenty of parking
Good sized rooms
Clean
Good room facilities
Good bathroom

Dislikes:
No restaurant
No GF bread or cereal
3% surcharge on credit cards (banks charge from 1 - 1.5% for credit card charges)

Link to new rulings regarding on credit card fees

Would I stay there again....possibly

Month of March came back to Brisbane and stayed at another establishment and didn't get charge the fee of 3%

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments. I would like to highlight that we do have a small selection available on the complimentary continental breakfast buffet for Gluten free including fresh fruit, juice etc. From personal experience I would always bring my own food especially when staying at a serviced apartment or source restaurants that provide a selection of gluten free options prior to arrival which I am sure a number of cafe's near the hotel would have been able to support your requirements extensively. The hotel also has a number of options available for payment which attracts no fees - Cash or direct debit. Ultimately our guests have a choice to pay the credit card fee or not.

We are pleased that you enjoyed all our other facilities and would be delighted to welcome you back.
International
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I first stayed here last year and gave it full marks as an affordable shot term option in Brisbane. Once again I was only staying overnight (between flights) but have to admit I was even more impressed this time round. An hour or hour prior to the office closed they gave me a friendly call to let me know how I could get the key if I wasn't able to get there before they closed. As it turned out I arrived prior to the office closing and received a greeting and was quickly and efficiently checked in. The room was clean, tidy and comfortable as was every other area of the premises I could see. Free secure parking and an excellent free wifi service (a must for me these days) was included in the price and, if didn't have to leave before 7am I would also have been able to take advantage of the free continental breakfast they serve. It was so quiet it was hard to believe there was anyone else there although there were as the secure parking basement was half full. The en-suite was fairly spacious and water pressure in the shower was excellent. The bed was comfortable and I did not notice any road noise even though my room was on the roadside edge of the property. The fridge contained a good variety of non-alcoholic beverages and even two frozen meals which I was grateful for as I was there on a public holiday and not much else was open nearby. So all in all I have to again recommend this place as a top option for shot term affordable stays whilst in Brisbane.

Room Tip: I was given rooms with balconies on the roadside of the first floor both times. The 1st time it was...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, it is always pleasing to our staff and management when we exceed our guest expectations especially when our guest choose to stay with us again and again. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Brisbane. Safe Travels!
Christine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chermside
Brisbane International - Virginia
#77 of 157 in Brisbane
Chermside Motor Inn
Chermside Motor Inn
#1 of 2 in Chermside

Been to Essence Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!