“Little oasis in Piste” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Piste
Brisbane, Australia
“Little oasis in Piste”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights here and it was the best location for visiting Chicken Itza before the tourist buses arrived. Gates to Chicken Itza open at 8 am and a taxi cost 35 pecos from Piste.

The hotel rooms spacious and clean and a had a good shower.

The hotel pool was very clean and a nice way to spend the afternoon after stomping around the ruins.

The only negative. .. hotel restuarant and bar prices were a bit exxy but cheaper options are available around town.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank kayjay176
chichenuxmal, Owner at Hotel Chichen Itza, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for exposing your views to the world's traveling community.
We appreciate your nice comments and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Until then, safe and happy travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Hotel Chicken-itza is part of a chain. It is the economy one in the chain, but by no means is it a dump LOL. I have stayed there many times with friends and we all have nice things to say about it.
I recommend it.

Room Tip: The pool side maybe better for sleep as the hotel is right on a main road. I have never slept road s...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
chichenuxmal, Owner at Hotel Chichen Itza, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your nice comments.

Yes, The Hotel Chichen Itza is a Mayaland Resorts property, owned and managed by the Barbachano family, pioneers of tourism in Mexico. We think our hotel is a very nice place to stay.
A great value for our patrons. Our collaborators are friendly and serviceable. All from Chichen Itza.

We look forward to being your hosts again. Muchas Gracias!
Summerland, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

We also opted to stay in Piste, which is very near to the great Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza.
Stayed 2 nights and found it to be perfect for our needs - an early start to the ruins, an easy drive to the MOST SPECTACULAR CENTOTE called Dzitnup, and excellent, affordable Mexican cuisine at LAS MESTIZAS (right across the street.)
Loved the big bamboo trees on the property. Lots of parking spaces available.
We enjoyed breakfast there on our departure day. Yummy food there, too.

Wifi was fine in the open-air lobby. Very helpful staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coby L
chichenuxmal, Owner at Hotel Chichen Itza, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your very nice comments !

We look forward to being your hosts again soon. Hasta la vista !
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed here while on a tour of Mayan ruins. We only stayed here one night and were very tired after a long flight and the drive from Cancun. My room was fine, nothing special but very comfortable. My room was quiet away from the road. There was a pleasant swimming pool which we had no time to use. The restaurant was open when we arrived but we used the bar only. Breakfast was OK but the best thing is the location of the hotel meaning that you can arrive at the ruins long before the day visitors from Cancun. The hotel is perfectly pleasant without being in any way outstanding. I cannot comment on value for money as it was part of an included tour.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shelley9London
chichenuxmal, Owner at Hotel Chichen Itza, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. We hope you enjoyed your tour of the Yucatan!
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Great room, nicely and simply decorated, very clean, nice pool and courtyard setting. Complete and good breakfast. Very friendly, accommodating staff and even enjoyed a room upgrade.

There would be a road noise issue if you stay on that side of the complex, so be sure to ask for a room "off the road".

Super location at the end of town towards the ruins. We walked along a pleasant path to ruins in 25-30 minutes.

Staying in Piste gave us the advantage of arriving at ruin's opening time, before the hordes of tour buses arrived...made for a "private" tour of the site.

If you have the time, staying in Piste is a great way to see Chichen Itza and this hotel is the place to do it.

Room Tip: Stay in room away from the road
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank financecounselor
chichenuxmal, Owner at Hotel Chichen Itza, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you for your nice, objective comments! We appreciate your visit and look forward to being of service to you again!
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here the other night as a stop over in Chichen Itza with my boyfriend. The pool area is ok, chairs could be improved. We checked in straight away and our room smelt very musty which was unpleasant. The wifi signal doesnt reach the room which was also annoying but was good in public area.
We ate in the restaurant hotel for dinner and I am vegetarian so I ordered the veggie burrito. After it arriving at the table and me taking a bite, i bit into an entire plastic wrapper that was cooked inside my burrito. I immediately called the waiter over and he seemed as shocked as I was as to how a plastic wrapper was cooked inside the burrito. I asked him if the kitchen is even clean and where this came from but he didnt know and took the dish away and asked if I would like something else. I ordered the tuna sandwich, which really was two soggy pieces of bread with chunks of tuna and a slice of tomato. I had a few bites and found it horrible so didnt eat anything for dinner. The waiter was apologetic and I didn't have to pay for my meal due to the plastic in burrito. Would recommend staying somewhere closer to Chichen Itza, worth spending the extra money if staying for just one night because its 40 pesos one way to hotel and 70 to the cenotes.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank iliaben
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I booked this hotel without knowing much about Chichen Itza or Piste, the town nearby. I rode a second class bus from Cancun which was painfully slow. But I did a great thing though. I called the hotel and put the phone on to the bus driver when we made a stop in Valladolid. The hotel staff gave the bus driver great directions and I was literally dropped off right in front of the hotel (if not, the bus stop is 5 blocks away). I didn't feel unsafe even during the night as the walk was just 1 min.

Coming to the hotel, it is neat and clean. WiFi is only in the common areas and not in room. One waiter at the hotel was great (don't recall his name). He spoke perfect English and French. I told him I am vegetarian and wouldn't eat something with even chicken broth in it. He knew exactly what I was talking about. He went to the kitchen and got a custom veggie burrito made for me. Now, this is service!

The bed was clean and comfortable even though the walls seemed old (now, who cares). Chichen Itza is about a 18 minute walk and I walked there comfortably (at 7:30am though to beat the crowds). Taxis are 35 pesos. I took one back. I only stayed here one night and left the next morning. The Yucatec restaurant in front was also good. They also understood my vegetarian dietary needs.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Prav211
Thanks for posting a review of your experience while with us at the Hotel Chichen Itza.
You nicely describe what the property aims to provide our guests: A very affordable, nice experience
close to the fabulous temples at Chichen Itza. Muchas Gracias!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piste
Hotel & Bungalows Mayaland
El Meson del Marques
El Meson del Marques
#6 of 14 in Valladolid
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,310 reviews

Been to Hotel Chichen Itza? Share your experiences!