Bellavista Cloud Forest
$98
$79
$20
$18
All reviewsday triphumming birdscloud forestthe ownerbamboo housebird watchingwonderful experienceplate billed mountaingerman houseplant lifespace heaterearly morninghummingbird feedersgravel roadrock tourknowledgeable guidehot water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 10, 2007

My friend and I stayed at Bellavista last month.-Nov 2007 The staff was confused, incompetent and downright rude; they even laughed at me in front of our dining group. They fawned over a large departing Scandanavian group waiting for tips....while we were not given our room in the Dome for 4 HOURS!!

The guide, Gabriel and the volunteer, Faye were the ONLY redeeming part of Bellavista; besides other travelers, and, of course, the birdies. When I voiced my complaints to the "manager", he did not hear me and seemed even to avoid contact with the guests, preferring to hang out with the staff in their dining alcove.

Lastly, they claim to be eco-friendly...dirty hand towels are just plain slothful. Provide clean hand towels, already. How about the napthalene deodorizers in the toilets??? Real eco friendly!

This was the end of our lovely time in Ecuador. Bellavista was funky in more ways than one.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
richardop, owner at Bellavista Cloud Forest, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2007

It is tough as owner to read reviews like this. Apologies are in order for having had to wait too long for the room, and efforts will be made to avoid this in future. The lodge is medium-priced, and the price reflects the cost of maintaining / protecting our 700 hectare forest reserve. The lodge does not suffer from mildew, but it is true that it is in the middle of a cloud forest! Considering other reviews, we should mention that we now have enough naturalists on staff to cater for serious birders, general naturalists, adventure-lovers, of all ages. There is now one disabled-access room. Over the last year, considerable effort has been put into providing more variety in meals, and creating truly tasty food.

Reviewed November 21, 2007

While visiting Ecuador, I found that I would not have time to visit the Amazon as I might have liked. With less time, I researched alternatives and Bellavista seemed like a good choice to experience rainforest within a few hours drive of Quito. For a few days stay, it was an excellent choice.

I arranged for a transfer from the airport directly to the lodge, which was very convenient. The drive was not more than a few hours away and our driver was very pleasant. Upon arrival we were shown our room and given the basics of our stay, where/how/when, etc. We stayed in the bamboo house, and it was a very interesting accomodation...fun, unique, almost like a camping lodge. While it was a little dark, somewhat spartan, and always damp, it was a fun "cloudforest lodge" stay. Do not expect luxury in the least--but this is not necessarily a bad thing.

There are hummingbirds *everywhere* that come to the feeders and buzz all around. An amazing sight. We are not birders but it was hard not to be astounded by the numbers of hummingbirds and variety to be seen.

We went on several guided walks and a few on our own. Highly recommend the waterfall walk which is great fun. We woke for the early morning birder walk just once and were rewarded with a mountain toucan sighting. The guides and staff are very helpful, informative and friendly.

The food which was included in our rate was totally serviceable, but not anything to write home about. We enjoyed the food which seemed local and simple fare, lots of vegetables and less protein.

A few additional notes...this is very much a birding destination. there were tons of birders and the walks are generally geared for this. Not being birders ourselves I do wonder how interesting it would have been for us past our 2 day stay. We did a horseback ride and relaxed aplenty but theres only so much to do. Also, I cannot be 100% positive but am fairly sure that money was stolen from my wallet left in my room at some point. I cannot confirm this, but I am pretty sure and feel I should pass this warning on.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laika57
Reviewed November 12, 2007

The Lodge consists of a unique, tower-like central building with lower restaurant and upper sleeping accommodation in either dormitory-like areas or small rooms. Surrounding this are other lodges made of local materials to fit the surroundings. Because of its isolation all meals are provided. These are of good quality. Many of the guests are bird-watchers and, although we are new to this, we enjoyed joining in the early morning expeditions to find the birds in the cloud forest surrounding the lodge. Our accommodation was comfortable and unique, but we enjoyed most the walks through the many well-mapped trails around the area. Recommended for active people with a car to get there.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We went for the birds and recorded over 100 species in three days. If you want plants, birds, and tropic vistas this is an excellent spot. We initially opted to stay in the tree house, but found the layout a little odd and, for me and my wife, a little uncomfortable. On the next day we asked to move and received a room in one of the outer buildings and found that to be much more comfortable.

The food was pretty good and some of the guides were excellent...however, others were novices and if you are going here for a particular type of toucanet or other species, you may want to think twice. They mean well, but we only found one or two "experts" during our stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HolaGatitos
Reviewed February 22, 2007

My wife and I spent 3 weeks in Equador in Dec. 06-Jan 07. We were told about this lodge by another traveler who spent time there 2 weeks before our conversation and loved it. What started out a nice, relaxing get away for hiking & birdwatching ended with us having empty stomachs and pockets. We bought a package from the owner over the phone and he kept saying during the process that he would work the details out to be "whatever was better for us". This was not the case. First getting there proved to be an expensive proposition. The Bellavista picked us up but we were unaware of the cost until the day we were leaving (We were charged $100 for transport by the Bellavista!!!! 10 times more than most long distance bus rides in Equador) The food was good....ish. One night they served for the main course, some form of purple cabbage pot pie and another time there was a meat pie of sorts, both were absolutely horrible! What topped it off was that you paid top dollar (by Equadorian standard) for this bad food and had no choice in the matter. All the other reviews about the rooms are dead on but for us that wasn't really an issue because this is a lodge in the cloud forest not a 5 star hotel in the city!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple