San Jorge de Tandayapa Hummingbird Sanctuary & Lodge
    CasKaffeSu(Mindo)
    • Breakfast included
    • Breakfast included
    • Restaurant
    All reviewsgeorge cruzthe magic birding circuitdining areahummingbird sanctuaryopen aircorner roomcloud forestexcellent birdingspecies of birdsthe ownerhiking trailshis wifeobservation decksecond stopguide miguelwonderful viewbird guide
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is the second property of the same proprietor that we stayed at on this trip.
    I can't begin to say how amazing it is. I saw at least 30 species of birds from the breakfast table ( which is open air with a roof) without getting off my chair. The vistas from the room is breathtaking and service is impeccable.
    The afternoon we arrived I took unexpectedly ill. My group went off on a hike and I stayed behind and slept. I awoke to knock on my door, Staleen, the all around caretaker, was there with a tray of soup and crackers and tea.
    The next morning I opted out of the morning hike not wanting to chance falling ill on a several hour trek. Staleen took me under his wing so to speak. He took me a short little walks around the property pointing out birds and showing me good little places to sit at watch as birds flew all around me. The peace and quiet was so soothing.
    Once I was I was my feet and joined the others, Jorge, the owner, who had been with us for several days and was our guide (and father figure in the best possible way) made sure to check and make sure I was ok.
    The others enjoyed the hikes and reported seeing several different species of birds ( Jorge is THE bird guide in the region. This guy can find birds no one else can. He's literally written the book. Look him up, Jorge Cruz).
    I can't think of better place to be have taken ill! I think between the vistas, the birds and the amazing staff the place has restorative powers!
    Thank you Jorge and give Staleen a hug from The Michigan Delegation.
    Only recommendation: no screens on windows ( for better viewing I'm sure) but there was no fan in the room. Need on or the other

Room Tip: All are amazing but ask for number 5. Even more amazing than the rest
    • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
    5  Thank Beth B
    Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and really adored this place. Very helpful and friendly staff and Dr. Jorge Cruz is a stunning bird guide and a really nice guy. Before this lodge we stayed at the Bellavista cloud forest lodge. The San Jorge de Tandayapa Lodge is so much better (in every way). Very nice big rooms with an amazing view, good bathroom, good beds, good food and more birds. The trails around the lodge are perfect: Very well maintained, easy to walk, more light for photography

We loved this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
    7  Thank JeroenandNancy
    Reviewed July 9, 2012

The night I spent here is my fondest memory of Ecuador. I traveled to the Galapagos, Quito, and surrounding areas, but nothing was as serene as waking up to the beauty of mountains on an early morning, drinking a cup of hot chocolate, and going on a nature hike to see the most beautiful birds I have ever seen.

I have been on nature hikes throughout the world, but it was my first time to go birding. What an extraordinary opportunity. I even saw a quetzal. Dr. Jorge Cruz is an incredible expert in biodiversity, birds, and botany.

My favorite part: The lodge has rooms for only 20 guests at a time and is nestled in a nature reserve, so it is completely private. It's like having your own paradise. Ecuador is an undiscovered paradise, really, and San Jorge de Tandayapa is the place I will stay when I visit Ecuador again.

I also liked that it is only 1 hour away from Quito's airport! So close but so quiet and private.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great. My favorite is the room that overlooks the mountain vista.
    • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
    6  Thank MandySeymour
    Reviewed October 30, 2011

We ended our trip to Ecuador by spending one night here and the last night at San Jorge Eco-Lodge Quito.
    We knew we were in for a memorable experience when Stalen (sorry if misspelled), the caretaker, disappeared in to the woods and returned leading a mule to carry our duffel bags. We carryed our backpacks and began our ascent. The road/trail to the lodge is steep, rough, and long, but leads to a beautiful santuary with amazing views. If you are not physically fit, don't even attempt. If you are, you will be rewarded for your efforts. We were welcomed with lemonade served in an outdoor seating area. Stalen showed us to our room, which was lovely and had a phenomenal view through picture windows of the surrounding mountains.
    Meals were served further up the path at an outdoor 'porch' surrounded by hummingbird feeders. Non-stop action with some of the most beautiful birds. The perfect place to enjoy morning coffee. Stalen's love for the lodge and its birds was apparent. Our Spanish is terrible, and he spoke very little English, yet we had no trouble communicating. He was a delightful host. We were the only people staying there, which still amazes us.
    The food was delicious. My wife asked for smaller portions after our first meal because it was more food than she could eat. There is a bar list and you can order wine by the bottle.
    Hiking trails were good for burning calories and spotting birds. We saw many varieties of tanagers, some toucanets, parrots, and quetzals. Then there are the hummingbirds, so many varieties.
    We highly recommend this special place to anyone with a sense of adventure that likes to leave the beaten path. We only regret we didn't have more time to spend there.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have a great view. For spectacular, arrange for the 'upgrade' rooms. The best view is from the end room with the corner windows. However there is a bench on the balcony outside that room that is 'public', so you would forego privacy if others were enjoying the balcony.
    • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
    4  Thank Diver-Hiker
    Reviewed September 27, 2010

The hike up was not as bad as I thought. Estalin broke off a branch and I had a wonderful walking stick. Our room was fantastic, views on three sides. The food, lovingly prepared by Pilar, was incredible, fresh and healthy. Not far from the restaurant table were the birdfeeders. Hummingbirds were coming in droves; the most amazing colors and selections. A pole with bananas attracted toucanels and golden tanagers. We had a wonderful guide, Alexandra. Transportation was prompt. We are not professional birders; we just wanted to experience an unusually beautiful place and we adore hummingbirds.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple