“You get what you pay for and this was very good.”

Halici Semera Holiday Village
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mugla
London, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for and this was very good.”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Got back on Saturday 21st September 2013 from a 2 week stay at the Halici Semera Hotel.

I will start with the bad points:
* LOADS of steps and completely unsuitable for anyone with pushchairs and or elderly/unfit folks. We coped by using the lift mostly but it was out of order for 3 days.
* No entertainment whatsoever
* Food was always Chicken, Turkey or Fish.
* Most rooms in the removed block had VERY small balconys. Also rooms were in need of refurbishment.

Good points:
* Because of the steps the views were AMAZING! It made it worth the hike to be able to sit and eat and see the gorgeous mountains and sea. You also get these views from the main pool with the sea one side and the forest the other. It was fabulous and very calming.
* The food we ate there was very nice and I thoroughly enjoyed every meal we had.
* The staff were helpful. I asked for our room to be changed as the balcony was very small and they did find us another that was slightly larger. Also, our light bulb went one night and i reported it. Within 20 mins there was a man at our door to fix it.
* There were 2 pools. One main one on the main site and one on the block we were staying in so if you wanted a bit of peace and quiet you could use this one. There was also a bar there but the bar lady did disappear ocassionally from time to time.
* The location was perfect. It was a 2 min walk to the main street and a 5 min walk (if that) to the beach. The buses go along the main road regularly and you just flag them down.

We ate out 5 nights over our 2 week stay partly because we wanted to sample different foods and partly because there was no entertainment at the hotel. I would thorougly recommend the Apple Bar. We had great fun there and the food was superb. We also ate at Mr Meat on the sea front - that was good and Pop in along the strip which did 2 for 1 cocktails. Everywhere we looked food was very cheap and delicious.

The beach was lovely but we did have to pay 10 lira per day for sunbeds and beer was around 7 lira a bottle. The sea was a very nice temperature - refreshing as it was so hot.

We did the Turtle bay trip with the tombs and mud baths - this was great but a long day. We got picked up at 8 am and got back at 8 pm. We booked this and the Turkish Bath (that was ok) from No Name Travel and it cost £41 for both. He also chucked in a free Moonlight Cruise that we went on and that was lovely too.

It's the second time i have been to Marmaris and i have already booked to go back again May next year but to a different hotel just up the road a bit.

I have given this hotel 4 stars as compared to the hotel i stayed in in June it was much nicer due to the food and Marmaris itself. I did really want to give it a 3.5 but as you can't do halves i think its worth a 4.

We had an absolutely lovely holiday and I would go back to this hotel again but I would make sure i was fitter before i went :-).

Room Tip: We stayed in the block outside the main and i would suggest this as you wouldn't want to be doin...
3 Thank CavaQueen1970

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Burnley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Absolutely gutted. Paid good money for this holiday and a waited a long time for it to come around. When our transfer bus broke down we knew it wasn't going to go well for us. On arrival at about 4am we were dropped at the bottom of a huge flight of stairs and not given any help in carrying up our luggage to the reception. At reception the young lad who greeted us looked about 15 years old, could not speak a word of English and expected us to give him our passports overnight to be left on the open counter (along with a pile of about 50 other passports). So as not to be the known as d**khead guest I went along with it apprehensively.
We were then shown to our room, which wasn't even on campus, but back down the flight of stairs, across the road into a run down apartment block, down more stairs and into our room.
Well, where to start, the room stunk of s**t, the bath was yellow, the air-con sounded like an aeroplane jet engine, the fridge made some funky noises too.
At this point I am fuming, me and my partner tired and crammed and to be honest, feel like we have been taken for mugs. Thirsty, but nothing in the fridge, not really a 4* greeting but I wasn't going to fuss about that too much. I went to reception (a lot of stairs) and asked for a bottle of water. He understood, went into the back room and filled a glass with tap water.........I flipped, asked for the nearest shop and was told "nothing is open". I did not want to go wandering at 4am so I went back to the room.
In the morning I stormed back to reception, found a manager and told him this is not what I had paid for and I refused to leave reception until he found us another room. While waiting i decided to ask for my passport back, they tried to give me the wrong one and spent 10 minutes searching for mine! After a while he found us a room, the dreaded room 105 which became the bane of our holiday. We now felt like we were a part of the hotel, actually on campus. But The toilet did not work on 3/7 days that we were there (on the 3rd occasion they did not even attempt to fix it, just expected us to walk over to the public toilets by the pool whenever we needed to go......) Air-con broke and was only held to the wall by some sticky tape. Lock on the door broke so we found ourselves climbing through the window. Our towels were changed for make-up stained ones every day and at one point one of our pillow cases was changed to one stained with blood (face down so we might not notice). Management do not even care about the guests, they do not speak a word of english and one manager imparticular just sat and played angry birds whenever you tried to speak to him.
The pool is ok. plenty of sunbeds but we went last week, so it is out of season, might be a bit harder to get beds in summer months.Bar staff dont speak much english, but if you show them some manners they will return the gratitude. Small plastic cups, but can get more than one drink at a time and the lager is 100% Malt Tuborg, really nice. Not a wide variety of spirits to choose from. No entertainment whatsoever.
Food is ok, repetitive but not spoilt for choice.. Breakfast is rubbish, just tastes awful, all of it. Lunch is a selection of hot food and a lot of different salad choices. Evening meal is very similar choice to lunch. Desserts are poor and all soaked in a liqeur so they are all soggy.
There is a hotel photographer around the pool offering professional photos, the guy made us sick. Taking pictures of girls when they were turning over on their sunloungers and of peoples children without permission. He was going over to 13-14 year old girls, sitting on their sunloungers and taking close up photos of them.
There were times we nearly packed our bags and just came home. But we felt as though it would be a shame to miss out on the great weather. It was hitting 40 degrees C and the view to the sea from the pool was excellent also. Flights home would have also cost us a fortune, so we felt we should just grit our teeth and try to get through it. Not the mentality you should have when on 'holiday' really.
I have complained to my travel agency and will be not stop until hotel inspectors get in that hotel and brand it a 1 or 2* which is all that it deserves or even shut the place down.

3 Thank Rik W

Travelers are raving about these Mugla hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

after being moved from lidya park we came to the halici semera on the 6th September for the last 6 days of our holiday, honest opinion it was brilliant!!! our room was perfect immaculate and cleaned every day. staff were very very friendly and did everything to help with requests you had, food was lovely and cooked perfect everything was clean and tidy everyday even around the pool was hosed down and cleaned everynight, superb hotel would definitely go again and would recommend it to anyone there is something there for everyone whether your a couple or family, chilled out and peaceful and only 2 minute walk from the main strip and beach

1 Thank dani376
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

For a start how this hotel received a 4 star rating astounds me, at the most it is a 3 star but if the hotel was inspected properly, i think they would struggle to achieve 3. The rooms are extremely basic, shabby and in need of repair/ maintenance, however we only used the room as a base for the holiday, so if you're planning on using your room more constantly then i'd reconsider. If you are less abled or have walking difficulties then do not consider this hotel at all, we were in one of the middle rooms but still had to walk up 107 steps, the lift broke 6 days into our 11 day stay, however the lift doesn't even cover the whole hotel,There are 30 steps from road to reception and then the lift starts and it stops at middle of the hotel. the food wasn't great, however you could eat, if there was cutlery, crockery and most of all somewhere to sit. This hotel does seem to cram the guests in, often overbooking rooms and sending guests to it's sister hotel, which isn't even all inclusive.
We spent most of our time by the pool, which i have to say is probably the hotels best asset, once you've found a working sunbed. The poolside bar (only bar) is ok if the staff can be bothered to serve you (constantly on their mobile phones) as for the all inclusive drinks, they are very limited (beer, wine, vodka, raki, gin, brandy and soft drinks). In the evening the bar became very crammed, can only seat around 50 people. there is no evening entertainment, we later discovered by a member of staff, that this is so nobody stays and drinks the all inclusive drinks and travel into town to buy their own, Absolutely shocking.
So to sum up, if you're looking for mediocre food, poor service, limited drinks, no entertainment and a shabby room, then this hotel is for you.
This Hotel however does have a few silver linings, the staff at the supermarket are always welcoming, polite and helpful, and most of all the exotic spa rep Ayhan, This man has to the most polite and helpful man in this hotel, always nice to talk to and full of local info or advice, and he also sells the greatest spa treatment (£27) don't do the £8 deals sold by the holiday reps, they are overpacked, take ages and you barely get a treatment.
I hope this review helps, I just tell it how it is.

Room Tip: I personally payed extra for a double room, which the hotel seemed to overlook, if you get a poor ro...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Me and my friend arrived at 4:30am on the 3rd September, as soon as we arrived we were given out hotel room and the security guy carried our cases to the room (204) our room was literally at the top of the hotels massive hill!
There was a lot of steps on the complex, exactly 191 to our door from the bottom of the hotel! it did get very draining by the end of the week but we looked to the positive side of keeping fit and also the views were spectacular so defo worth it!
A lot of people complained about the food which I cant understand, I am an extremely fussy eater and ALWAYS struggle when at all inclusives but I managed to eat well everyday, the breakfasts aren't brilliant so don't expect a full English. But this is Turkey we are in and none of the all inclusives serve full English breakfast unless you are paying double the amount! the salad bar is amazing the best I have ever seen and all food is hot. The desserts were always fresh and the cakes were lovely. bread was always fresh and there was always a soup to have (the chicken soup was lovely) so all in all the food is very good. There is a snack bar at the pool too which serves chips, burgers, pasta, chicken etc.
The pool area was good although could of been a lot better if there was a shallow end in the pool, im 5ft 4 and could only jus touch the "shallow" end on my tip toes! its clean and they play music from 1pm (no rap music like in other reviews) the drinks are served in plastic cups but I would much rather that than a glass getting smashed and walking over it in bare feet!!
Now for the bits that let the hotel down....
The rooms are VERY basic not at all what you expect from an all inclusive. but there are clean and the beds are made daily, although I think our bed sheets were only changed once in a week!!! the bathroom is dated and the ceiling is low but again it is clean! there are no safes in the room but we used the safety deposit box in reception and had no problem using this... expect the woman on reception (long brown hair, miserable woman!) did try and charge us £20 for a week when in fact we actually found out it was £15 and she even wrote £15 in her record book, we confronted her and she reimbursed the £5 . she then couldn't of been nicer to us if she tried the whole holiday!! so be careful of that!
There is no entertainment whatsoever! unless u class a half hour Turkish night once in the whole week as entertainment! we were even told by someone that worked at the hotel that the owners had no entertainment on because they didn't want to encourage people to drink at the hotel they wanted them to go out! NICE!
some of the staff are rude and cant speak any English!
the hotel guests are 90% Russians, and they are extremely rude! no please or thank yous and they find it funny to jump in the pool while you are on your lilos relaxing and drench you!
all in all the hotel needs a major uplift, the lift broke on the 3rd day and on our last day it still hadn't been fixed! it has a lot of potential and could be one of the best hotels in marmaris! they need entertainment!
Some of the other reviews on here really do over exaggerate things and I was completely dreading coming to this hotel but I had a good holiday. although I did expect a lot more from an all inclusive.

If this hotel was self catering it wouldn't be too bad as its in a good location! I wouldn't say it was a 4* at all, maybe a 2* and that's only because of the food and the views.
Turkey is so cheap to eat out and drink that I don't think I would even want to go all inclusive again.

p.s. if you walk down the bottom of the hill and turn left there is an excursion company called NO NAME. this is the place to book your excursions, they are less than half the price of the hotel, the rep at the hotel will rip you off and give you stupid stories of why to not book with excursion companys, don't listen to him!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the restaurant while booking so you are not too far up the hill. be careful of...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

They serve the same food over and over again - pretty much every meal consists of rice, chicken or chips and it gets really boring. If you go and get a drink by the pool side, they serve it in a plastic cup and make you pay for it after eleven at night and there is NO entertainment by the pool. The Apple bar down the road is great though as they do proper drinks for good prices along with entertainment. The hotel rooms are also low standard and overall I would recommend going on holiday in a different hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Arrived at 4 am to get shipped to another hotel, the helici hotel, where nobody speaks English and isn't all incl. spent two days with 4 of us (2adults,2kids) in a double room!!! Oh and the warm skol lager ou a plastic bottle that the all incl guests get.................yummy.back up to holiday village and seems we're across the road, not close to rest or pool. Thank god!!!! Loud music from bout 1 pm until bout 1am. Not really a feature of a 4* hotel. Very disappointed. Entertainment was crap for 12 and 4 yr olds. Hotel workers too busy covering there erections from staring at the teenagers round the pool. They treated their jobs like they were on holiday. Won't be back with kids, maybe as part of group of adults for a cheap blow out but not for families.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Stephen D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mugla
Ideal Panorama
#3 of 13 in Mugla
Ideal Piccolo
Ideal Piccolo
#76 of 234 in Marmaris

Been to Halici Semera Holiday Village? Share your experiences!