“Decent but didn't meet up to the hype”

La Mansion de Sam y Sam's Gastro PUB
Ranked #4 of 65 Restaurants in San Gil
Cuisines: Colombian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sam’s Pub or Steakhouse has established itself as one of San Gil’s top restaurant, specializing in typical colombian lunch, BBQ Ribs, Steaks, hamburgers, and more, socializing with new friends. A superb selection of latin music, beautiful colonial decor, and other artwork creates a superb atmosphere for conversing with old friends or meeting new ones.
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The restaurant is centrally-located and has a good vibe and atmosphere. After reading comments that several people had eaten the best steak in South America (or at least Colombia), we decided to give it a try. Prices for the steaks were reasonable and the steaks were good (not great, but good).

My main issue with Sam's was the beer. Being somewhat of a beer snob I was excited to finally get some options beyond the Aguilas and Club Colombias that I had been living on for my time in Colombia. However, Sam's house beers were unfortunately not very good.

To be honest, if I was in San Gil again I'd probably go back since there are not a lot of great dining options around. But, like the 3 stars say, I thought it was just average.

1  Thank pacman74

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Went for an evening meal they have a great space that creates a homely intimate vibe. The menu is simple hearty food, I sampled the steak ad the burgers, the food was tasty and great value for money, defiantly going back there tonight !.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Average fillet steak. Previous reviews had got my hopes up, but not one to savour or remember. The chips/ fries that came with it were good though. Tried some of my friends ribs which weren't bad. Nice ale on tap, but a little pricey.

1  Thank PeteUK83
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights, the Hotel is a really nice typical colonial house with a wonderful courtyard and a restaurant/Pub in it.
The food was Excellent, and great value. The steak was possibly one of the best steaks I have ever eaten, and the Chicken one of the juiciest.
Don't forget to try one of Sam's Beers, which are locally brewed beers from the region and are excellent.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I cannot over sell this place because it is fantastic. It is one building that doubles up as everything u could want. England game was on...Sams was a great pub like u would expect from home with two TV's and commentary. A different time we just popped in for a drink and with modern chilled out music it was a great bar to relax in.....but Sams really comes into its own when it serves food. This food is not your typical "pub comfort food", sure it is the types of meals you would expect to have served in a pub/bar but the quality of the food is genuinely top notch restaurant standard. I can honestly say the ribs are the best I have ever eaten and the steak....its just fantastic. Great staff, Sam is a great guy that is very happy to help you with anything you need, and not in a salesman capacity, I mean as a friendly local who is very proud of his amazing country. In a nutshell, if you come to San Gil this place is a must! I also hear he has a hostel....but it seems constantly full! Quality is obviously being rewarded!