“Good location, clean and friendly place”

Hostel Santander Aleman Terrace Vista
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I made the reservations for this hotel in August and emailed the hotel directly as I could only book a double room online and I wanted a twin room. I was responded with confirmation for my stay, in a twin room.
However, on arrival, I was told that I had a double room and that is what I had booked. When I explained that I had emailed Ivan directly and he had confirmed a twin room, they repeated that I had booked a double room.
We decided to stay and other than this unfortunate event to start, we had a good stay there. The rooms are clean and our's was quite, on the ground floor in the back. The terrace is lovely and the facilities are good.
The staff are friendly and helpful, especially the young boy. It does say both in the Lonely Planet and on Hostelworld that the breakfast is included in the price, but this is not correct. Breakfast is an extra cost. It's really good though and worth the extra money!
A good place to base yourself for exploring the beautiful surrounding area.

Room Tip: Our room on the ground floor was really quiet at night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 3, 2012

When I first looked at this hostel online, they had single rooms but when I went to book, the single rooms were all gone and only double rooms existed so I booked a double room. That was a mistake as all the single rooms and double rooms are the same so I ended up paying more than I should have. I'm not sure if the hostel removed the single rooms because they saw someone looking at the rooms and then wanted them to pay the double price. When I asked Ivan about this he brushed off my question. Also when I went to check out, I found out I had to pay cash although they have a mastercard logo on their door. But other than this, Ivan and other staff were fairly nice.

The curtains are too light and do not block out the light so if anyone turns on their light in the middle of the night and you have a room facing the inside, you will be woken up. Curtains are very cheap so they should buy better ones that block out the light. Even though I had an inside facing room, I could hear street noise even with ear plugs.

The info hanging up such as the vegetarian restaurants, etc is very old. I went to the vegetarian restaurant that was hanging up and also in Lonely Planet only to find out that it had closed a while ago and a non vegetarian restaurant was there. When I mentioned it to Ivan, he said he knew that but still he wouldn't take down the fliers for the vegetarian restaurant even though it no longer existed.

Twice when walking around by myself in San Gil I was bothered by two different guys, once during the day and once at 5:30PM so I think for single women, it is safer to stay in a more central location. Not only because of that but also because of the feeling that I got when the single rooms disappeared, if I return to San Gil I would stay at the Sam's VIP Hostel on the main plaza. Also there is no laundry service on Sun and the laundry is in their hostel not at this location. Moreover, breakfast was not included and costs 7,000 extra so I didn't eat there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank sigulda158
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We chose this place after reading positive reviews on tripadvisor, got there late in the evening on halloween night and were literally thrown in huge fiesta on the main street. The hostel itself is nice, clean, located close to main square - interesting place to chill out, meet locals or try colombian kitchen in surrounding restaurants. Other possibilities to rest after long day of sport activities offers roof terrace with great view of the whole town. All activities available in San Gil can be arranged thru the hostel. However, the rooms with window to the street I would recommend to those who get up early or are used to colombian drive style based on horns and loud music.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hostal for 4 nights and loved every minute of them. Ivan the manager was extreamly knowledgable about all of the many activities available in San Gil as well as very friendly and helpful. The hostal can arrange all the activities that are available in San Gil on your behalf and even have a printed price list for everything from riding to parasailing.

The room we stayed in was on the ground floor and was large with a private bathroom with hot water and a cable tv with English channels. The room was spotless when we arrived and was cleaned everyday as you would expect in a hotel rather than a hostal.

The hotel is also next door (more or less ) to the local bus station making trips to the beautiful surrounding villages and countryside as easy as walking round the corner while the main square is an easy (neither down nor up the incredibly steep hills) walk 2 blocks down town.

We loved our stay and want to say thank you to Ivan and his family for Making it so great. We would defiantly recommend other travellers to stay.

Oh and there is a roof terrace with great views, hammocks and a ping pong table, amazing!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Ivan and his wife made us feel very welcome after a long bus journey. He had excellent information on the area and sorted many activities for us. The rooms were gorgeous, he offered us a couple of options and both were clean, modern and inviting. The terrace has good views across San Gil and is a nice place to eat your breakfast and to start your day. The hostel is only a 2 minute walk to the centre and very close to the bus station to Barichara. Would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone and will miss Ivan and his wife. Thanks very much! :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

It's a nice and clean hotel in the centre of San Gil. They have a big terace with a nice view over town. You can book tours in the hotel for fair prices.
The service from Ivan is excelent and he can help you with good tips in other regions in Colombia.
Price-quality, one of the best deals in Colombia.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2012

They are very helpful and very nice
I booked to my self and my family and I had what they promise exactly I recommended them to all my friends and family from now

Room Tip: Just book with them and good feelings in return
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends