“Grand Bohol Experience!”

Grand Luis Lodge, B&B and Spa
Ranked #8 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Dauis
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Stayed here May 2011, thanks to our tour guide and manager Emmylou Palacio-Noel for booking this resort for our group. The rooms have complete amenities, clean bathrooms, fantastic view and great amount of fresh air. The pool was lovely and great for night swimming.

The staff were very helpful and kind, they even provided us with a thank you token. They will respond to the requests promptly and with a sweet smile. This really makes a big difference because it makes the guests feel extra special or well taken cared of.

Although we encountered some difficulty with the restroom water (as the resort is in an elevated location) the staff were kind enough to provide alternate solutions and ensured that the water problem was fixed at the soonest possible.

I'm not sure if they have like a small DVD library where guests can borrow movies. I recommend they keep this kind of collection especially if the satellite TV encounters problems probably due to bad weather.

Other than the minor incidents, our group's experience in the resort is Superb and truly Grand!

Room Tip: Suggest you book for a package tour with Voyage de la Vie Travel and Tours and specify that you want...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 19, 2011

we actually book @ grand luis a year ago,but still we are allowed to use our booking...we are so lucky.its our 2nd week in bohol wer we stay @panglao beach...and its suck becoz the beach is full of rubbish. so we are excited to stay in a different location,which is very nice,the hotel room is like a 5star hotel and scenery is so majestic.u can feel the real world of being a probinsyana but with a classy touch. the staff are very attentive,friendly and polite.its quite and u can hear birds singing in the morning.unique and lovely swimming pool,they have balcony that u can see all the greenery.and the hotel prize is cheap.for a 1 week stay is not enough.am sure we will visit the place again.

Room Tip: room on the mountain side
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We were all girls on our trip to Bohol. We were picked up and shuttled to the port on time. We felt safe and comfortable. We had the 3 d 2 n accommodations, and it was a good deal! We also took their tour services. Everything was right on budget. We even got to dine with the owners who were really very pleasant and accommodating like their whole hotel staff. It was a great first experience of Bohol.

• Stayed: February 2011
4  Thank Detcabmd
Reviewed July 19, 2011

my family and myself enjoyed every moment of our stay at Grand Luis. They have nice, cozy, affordable rooms with great view, very friendly staffs, good tour packages, nice food, clean toilets and a very private atmosphere

Room Tip: you only get two options, pool view or a mountain view, you cannot get wrong with any of the two
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank PrincessStrawberry
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I stayed here with my family for only one night since they were fully booked. The place is pretty and relaxing. I liked our room, it was not as spacious as the second resort we stayed in but it was not small either. What I loved about our room is the balcony. The view is fantastic, a lot of trees and greens. We can also see the pool from our balcony.

I also loved the fact that they gave a lot of free amenities like coffee and tea, peanut kisses, slippers, toiletries. I think P2700 is totally worth it. I was also able to borrow a hair dryer in the morning and since we were going to be picked up early for our tour, the receptionist even offered to take our breakfast to our room. Breakfast I think was good for what we paid. Nothing fancy but they had choices like rice, pancake or french toast; coffee or juice; fish, bacon or tocino.

We had lunch here and the food was OK, nothing to rave about. The curry was a little too spicy so make sure you specify mild if you order this. What we did not appreciate was their sloow service. It took them more than 30 minutes to serve the food and even the additional rice we ordered took a while. This would have been acceptable if there were a lot of guests but there was no one except us.

Their pool was nice. After a few hours of swimming they turned on the sprinklers in the pool which my son enjoyed. They also had a mini bubbling jacuzzi beside the pool (not heated) . They also had a juice bar near the pool where you can order drinks.

Grandluis is a bit far from ALona but you can hire a car from the reception to bring you there and pick you up as well. That's what we did for dinner. We paid a very reasonable price. If I am not mistaken I think P200 or 300.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank juicylou2011
Reviewed February 28, 2011

When I was looking for an accommodations in Bohol for 4days and 3 nights stay for 8 pax, supposedly from Feb.17-20, 2011, I was having a hard time finding one since most of the affordable beach-front resorts are all fully-booked during those dates. And also because this is the first-time for me and my family to visit bohol and therefore my unfamiliarity with the place. The only available options we have are the high-end ones and the mini hotels in Tagbilaran, Bohol. I looked over the Internet and found this resort and based it only from the rates and from the pictures I saw in their website, and also considered the “good” reviews here in TripAdvisor as a factor for immediately booking with them.

I immediately contacted them and arranged for accommodation. Fortunately-enough, they are available on the dates of our stay. So, I immediately booked them. Since it’s our first time with them, they required us to pay a 20% down payment of the total booking cost as reservation to secure the rooms. Unfortunately, we were charged a P100 fee by the local bank for wiring to their branch in Tagbilaran. But it's Ok, that could be foregone. But it may be good to suggest if they open a bank account here in Manila, for manila visitors so that it won’t need to be charged a wiring fee. Or if we return the second time, they’ll just not require us to do anymore down payment. Emailing them our flight itinerary would have sufficient for us to

To sum up my review of Grand Luis, B&B Lodge, I could just put bullet points under each category (good, bad, needs improvement) as well as suggestions:

The Good points:

It is Tranquil, peaceful, and the lush surrounding the lodge is a perfect-ambiance for Rest and Relaxation. What you see in the pics is what you really get. If you don’t mind not being in a beach-front accommodation, then this place is recommended for you.
The rate per room per night is good. If they could maintain it to such in a long-term, which of course is impossible, that would be a really great deal. Breakfast inclusion is a big-plus. Since they plug this as a Bed and Breakfast lodge. I particularly liked the french toast.

The rooms are well-kept, clean, well-ventilated, and well-lit and with a terrace overlooking the mountain. The lodge in its entirety is also the same. Fortunately for us, during our stay, we didn’t encounter any water or power interruptions as some of the reviews here in TripAdvisor imply.

Transpo service they provide for transfer and pick-up within tagbilaran is not that expensive. Airport transfers are free of charge. We can go to the mall to do some shopping for local stuff or go to the beach at just a minimal price – like we are being charged only for fuel-consumption. BTW, when they say that the travel time is 15 mins, by bohol standards, that is already a bit far since there’s no bumper to bumper traffic in panglao island.

The staffs are friendly and accommodating. They greet and smile when you pass-by. It is a plus-factor since they truly want to make you feel at home there in Bohol.
I give props to Satish, the owner. He is very accomodating and makes you feel welcome in his lodge. He attends to your needs. You don’t need to approach him, he will approach you to ask you if everything is alright with your stay in Grand Luis. When my uncle had food-poisoning during our lunch in another beach resort, he was there to extend his help upon our return. He always asks us if he’s Ok whenever we catch up with him in the resto. He’s more than willing to help during such incidents. We really appreciate his show of concern.

The dinner buffet during the Friday of our stay. It was very good and reasonable. Many food selection you get for the price they charge. I am not sure if this is a regular feast in Grand Luis or just because it’s a despedida party for Satish who’ll be leaving for an overseas trip the next day. Whatever bad points I raised for food was redeemed by this one.

The room cleaning service. When we requested to have the room cleaned, you’ll return it is spotless clean. The room cleaning service were also trust-worthy. We didn’t encounter any loss or thievery.

The free internet, the Wi-Fi connectivity.

The Bad points:

I emailed them of our arrival dates so that the pick-up arrangement will be there by the time we arrive in Tagbilaran Airport. Unfortunately they never replied even if I sent them a couple of emails days before our arrival. When we arrived, no one was there to pick us up at the airport. I was alert enough to have stored their contact nos. in my mobile phone. But had I not, I think it would have been really disastrous for us. We called their local landline number and they asked for apologies since their computer was down, and was not able to retrieve the email. I was wondering how they came to have sent me the booking confirmation thru email. They promised that there will be a van from the resort to pick us up 15 mins after. True enough after 15 mins the van came. The pick-up service was cramped since we were 8 and they made us cramp in one suzuki mini-van.

When it comes to food, it really is a hit-and-miss. On our first day, we took our lunch there since we arrived a little past lunch-time. We ordered the local seafood platter. But it disappoints since some seafood tastes the fishy savor. On our last night we ordered grilled-fish for our drinking appetizer and it still is the same. The fish needs a little more cleaning and marinating in calamansi to eliminate the fishy savor. Order taking too needs a little attention to details. There was one instance when my wife ordered egg and bacon combo for breakfast, but what she got was egg and egg instead. She never returned the order since serving time takes too long, we can understand that there was only one chef in the kitchen to prepare our breakfast. The breakfast in general was OK but nothing spectacular since it’s just western breakfast. A wider selection would’ve been better. When we ordered for fresh coconut juice we specifically ordered the meaty ones, they served all with only juices and minimal or no meat at all. I think this can also be understood since they don't know how to knock on a coconut to determine if it's meaty or not.

Needs improvement:

Serving-time. Food serving time needs improvement. Order taking especially during breakfast needs a little attentiveness also.

Water-heater. The water heater in our room (room 201) was not working during our stay. I think I relayed this one to Satish but unfortunately, there’s nothing he can do since the heater needs to be repaired and sent back to the supplier/installer.

The Mini Bar. They need to have a wider selection of mixed drinks and cocktails. I asked if the bartender/waitress knows how to prep a margarita. Unfortunately, she doesn’t know and only knows of an Indian margarita, which I am not really familiar with. The bar area including the tables needs to be lit a little since you don’t want mosquitoes to feast on you. The videoke needs to be improved also. It’s hard to key-in the number to a song, in the remote controller. And the songbook needs to be replaced already since it already has a funny, pungent smell when you flip it maybe due to usage.

The mosquitoes. This is given since the place is situated in a foresty place. Fumigation once in a while would be nice.

The towels. Some towels are a little worn. They already need to be replaced.

Suggestions:

Have a mini ref in all rooms. We got three rooms and only one has ref in it. All rooms are of the same rate. The only ones that have ref are the ones facing the pool, as I believe.

At least have the pythons caged in a different area and not in the dining area or receiving area. Or better yet just not within the lodge.

The jacuzzi beside the pool would’ve been great if it has a water heater. The jacuzzi was just a bubble-pool at the moment.

Safety-deposit boxes in each room. Would’ve been nice if there is one in the room. Although we really didn’t encounter any loss or theft during our stay. This is just a nice to have.

Given this objective review I made of the lodge, I think I won’t be having second thoughts of staying with them again in the future should I decide to go to Panglao Island again. In general, for the price I think we got what we paid for. All in all, It really makes you feel relaxed as if you were at home. In the first place as what their tagline implies Grand Luis is really a home, Your home away from home in Bohol.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jiggybabymiggz
satbootie, Owner at Grand Luis Lodge, B&B and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2011

thank you for the review.this review will make us improve on out fall backs.yes we are atttending to all of them straight away.thank you for giving a good report on myself.yes we really from the bottom of my heart wish to treat and take care of all our guests as our own family and hence wish to make them feeel at home.thank you and we really hope to see you again ..its your home in BOHOL...

Reviewed February 28, 2011

Had a honeymoon trip early January of this year in Bohol. We had no idea where to stay so we browsed up some hotels in the Tourist Info Center located in the pier.Luckily we found one that would fit our budget.We decided we'd go there thinking it was beach front but we're surprised coz when we got there it was on a hill. At first we were kinda disppointed but as we toured the whole place, it was just perfect! The scenic view was marvelous and the place is just quiet and fully fitted for honeymooners so we decided to stay there for two days. We were very pleased with our stay and we definitely recommend it to everyone! Thanks Grand Luis! You're truly a home worth staying in Bohol ;-)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

thank you for the great review.we are humbled by your review and wish to thank you and we wish to tell you that we are happy and pleased to know that you felt comfortable being with us.we really hope that you will visit us again in your future trips to BOHOL.its always your home in BOHOL>

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauis
Isis Bungalows
Mithi Resort and Spa
Natura Vista
Natura Vista
#1 of 14 in Dauis

Been to Grand Luis Lodge, B&B and Spa? Share your experiences!