“Best. B&B. Ever.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glengrasco
Garalapin House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Glengrasco B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stayed at the Garalapin House when we visited Scotland in Oct 2013. This was our first visit to Scotland, and the Isle of Skye was on our must-see list, so we did some research and found Garalapin House.

We hoped that they would be open during our stay and that we weren't going to run into availability issues. Everything was smooth from the get-go. I think we booked a month out or so. It was off-season. I'm not sure how far ahead you should book for in-season dates. Note also that we are a family of four and we found it pretty difficult to find a B&B to accomodate 4 people in one room. I guess it's weird, it's normally a 1 or 2 person deal? First time B&Bing. I guess first lesson learned.

Email communication was fast and pleasurable, Sam was quick to reply and answer questions, as well as suggest places to see and things to look forward to.

Directions given were perfect, GPS coords may have been a better way though. It is out a bit from Portree, about 5-10 min drive. I wouldn't do the walk with kids but it would have been nice to walk it like the many walkers who do that thing regularly in Scotland.

Also note Portree was really nice, I highly recommend it, and definitely hit up the tourist info center, they were well equipped and we even did some unexpected shopping there. Really nice place. But I digress...

Sam and Clive have a wonderful home, and wonderful kids. Our boys were the same age as their boys, and they immediately hit it off. Our boys didn't listen at all to our instructions though, and just strolled into Sam and Clive's section of the house like it was no big deal, but Sam has absolutely no problem with it, and for that we were thankful. I've imagined running a B&B myself, and that is one thing you're just going to have to be okay with, you know? Kids...just walking into your house.

Clive was out on business during our 2 night stay, I'm sure he's a wondeful guy to get to know, but I suppose we'll just have to go back sometime and catch him then. :)

The house was great, very great location, fantastic sunrise breakfast window, cute little decor all around, some even handcrafted by Clive (and Sam maybe?) All that and still kid-proof, with bunkbeds. They get it. They had some DVD's and a tv in our room, several kids movies that entertained the boys while we plotted our plans for visits while in Skye.

Speaking of planning visits...we had a plan, and then we read the Garalapin's welcome book. It basically shattered all the plans we had because there were such great recommendations and it really set us straight. I think next time we go back it will have to be for 4-6 days to really take it all in. Just an amazing amount of stuff to do for such a small part of Scotland. 2 days was a tease.

Oh yeah...the breakfast! I tried Haggis and Black Pudding for the first time and they were great! I know my Dad would have loved the black pudding because he loves peppering everything til it's black. A great breakfast to start the days in Skye. Scottish breakfast, yogurt, cereal, juice, I think the boys had waffles. I don't remember, but they were happy, and they ate, and that's all that mattered. And then they fed the chickens.

The chickens that laid our eggs were also presen, and the boys loved feeding them. I knew one of my boys would enjoy that a lot, he's into animals, but my oldest liked it even more. A great free attraction at the Garalapin House.

I know this review was all over hte place, but I hope I've validated why I gave it 5 stars. Thank you Sam and Clive for opening your home and showing us your hospitality. We'll never forget it. Best B&B experience. You've set a bar, and it is very high.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
garalapin, Owner at Garalapin House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

WOW! Thank you. Sorry for the delay in responding to your review, time has flown. I read your review as we are getting ready for the new season and hearing these kind words makes me hope we 'get it right' for our future guests. It was lovely to get to know you & your family and glad you all felt at home here. I agree that there never seems to be enough time to explore Skye, so yes, you will just have to come back again! Delighted to have played a part in your holiday and send best wishes to you & your family.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

My fishing partner and I stayed at Garalapin House 5 nights while on a fishing trip on Skye. It's a wonderful place. Beautiful setting, very comfortable accomodation, excellent breakfasts, great people. We highly recommend Sam and Cllive's B&B. If I ever get back to Skye I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

A lovely review to read, thank you. It was a real pleasure to meet you both & glad you'd return if ever heading back to Skye. I can't guarantee you'd catch a salmon but a warm welcome is definitely guaranteed. Best wishes to you both,

Reviewed November 1, 2013

As a group of four friends visiting Scotland, we spent our one night on Skye here, and certainly didn't regret our choice. As one of us put it : "it's everything you're expecting when thinking about a B&B... except that lots of B&B don't quite meet one's expectations !" Although not familiar with the place, we had no problem at all finding the house - the directions are clear and precise. Sam and Clive gave us a very warm welcome, chatting and willing to help us ; you can feel they really care for their guests. The rooms and bathrooms are lovely, very cozy and perfectly clean, there's an attention to detail and little things that really shows. There is lots of information about the surroundings, and some books as well as a nice selection of DVDs (Monty Python fans, rejoice !) are available. Portree is near, where you'll have a choice of several restaurants (the one we went to was really good). And after a good night's sleep in very comfortable beds, the breakfast, with homemade eggs and marmalade, was delicious indeed :) All in all, easily the best B&B we went to during our trip !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

So glad to hear such positive comments about your stay and delighted to here that we were a B&B that met your expectations and not the other way round! We try to make sure our guests have a comfortable stay and leave with a full stomach and fond memories of our home & Skye. Glad to hear you'd visit us again, kind regards

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed for two nights with Sam at Garalapin house and everything was absolutely fantastic. Sam was so family friendly, which when traveling with a small child (almost 3 yr old) makes such a difference. Lovely big room, travel cot provided and set up for us on arrival, toys for the bath and in the room and swings outside just meant our daughter was delighted with everything. The breakfast was out of this world and superb value for money. Would love to come and stay again next time we're on Skye.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you. We are pleased you all enjoyed it, grown ups and your daughter. We do try to offer value for money and glad to hear we got that right. You know where we are if you ever head back to Skye. Best wishes to you,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed just one night at Garapalin house, but our stay there was really lovely. The room is very cozy, comfortable, clean and quiet. It has many books and information about the region, dvd´s or TV. Breakfast is the most attractive thing, doubtless. The eggs, from hens at Garapalin house, and home made marmalade were very delicious. Sam and Clive give us some tips to visit the area and recommended us some places to lunch. Portree is very close, only 5 minutes by car. And the best value for money we found. If we visit Skye again, we would like to stay at Garapalin house without a doubt. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
garalapin, Owner at Garalapin House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, albeit a short stay. We will happily suggest places to visit or to dine and lovely to hear you would stay with us again. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review & kind regards,

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We loved staying with Sam and Clive in their beautiful, comfortable home. The rooms met all of our needs and the little extras for kids (toys, high chair) made things really easy with our one-year-old. Sam and Clive were great about giving us ideas for hiking and eating. Breakfast was excellent whether we went full-cooked or lighter fare. They are a wonderful family and it was a pleasure to share a bit of their Isle of Skye life. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

It was lovely to meet you and your family also. It's our pleasure to ensure all our guests have a great stay with us, both grown ups & younger guests. You & your family would be welcomed back anytime. So glad you enjoyed Skye, best wishes to you all.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Sam and Clive are extremely hospitable, they have put a lot of thought into making their home welcoming for their guests and providing a relaxing stay. My husband and I stayed in the double room with en-suite, the latter, which other guests have commented, is quite small but provided an excellent shower, wc and small hand basin which was more than adequate for our two night stay. So nice to stay in a room with character and individual touches. For a B&B that is reasonably priced it exceeded our expectations with so many extras provided, in the way of: toiletries, tea/coffee making facilities including a small fridge for the jug of milk provided, TV, DVD's, books, local information, hairdryer and very useful Wi-Fi. No room for a wardrobe but there is a rail, coat hangers and a chest of drawers, which was fine as far as we were concerned. I am particularly picky about cleanliness and Sam cannot be faulted on this or, indeed the wonderful breakfasts. Lots of choice and everything other guests have said on this topic are all true. Mention has been made in a couple of previous reviews about the early breakfast (7.45 - 8.15 am) and that the family are up and about early, this is true but I think the website makes it clear that this is a normal family home, very family orientated with lots going on. Everything we needed was provided but I am sure if you had any special requests, Sam and Clive would be only too happy to help. You will be most fortunate if there is availability and you are able to stay with Sam, Clive and family in their delightful home. Top marks for cleanliness and competitive pricing - certainly good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for leaving us a review. We enjoy meeting new people and welcoming them into our home, and we're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Even more delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations. Thanks again and wish you both well. Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glengrasco
Cuillin Hills Hotel
#12 of 97 in Portree
Canowindra B&B
Canowindra B&B
#6 of 97 in Portree

Been to Garalapin House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!