“The most amazing place I have ever stayed”

Hotel Restaurant des Deux Rocs
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Seillans
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I only stayed here for one night but wished it could have been longer. The hotel is beautiful - full of antiques and interesting nooks and crannies (so much so that I took photos of the tap in the bathroom for inspiration for my own bathroom!). My room was one of the smaller ones but it was more than big enough for me and was beautifully decorated. And at 75 Euros for the night, it was good value too.
We ate on the terrace in the evening, the local rose wine was chilled by the water of the fountain in the square, and the view down the hill was stunning. The meal was the most amazing I have ever eaten. Truly. It's not cheap (we had three courses for 44 Euro) but you wouldn't expect food this good at this price.
Wonderful. I'm already planning a trip back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ClareHey
There are newer reviews for Hotel Restaurant des Deux Rocs

Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in July 2010. Having read the mixed reviews we were somewhat uncertain if we would like the place, but we needn't have worried.

I should say now that, as others have commented, if you are looking for 5 star luxury such as you would experience at the Chevre d'Or in Eze or more locally at the Four Seasons Provence you won't be happy here. There are no hot and cold running chambermaids, towels changed 3 times a day, staff trimming the bushes with nail clippers here. There isn’t even air conditioning.

This is, however, a quintessential French village hotel and you will find few better. Yes, it's quirky. I doubt if any two rooms are remotely the same, each being uniquely furnished in simple, comfortable, traditional French style. Our room was on the third floor and due to the age of the building there is no lift and it seems a long way to drag your cases up the vast staircase (the helpful receptionist offered to help in our case).

The location is superb. The hotel has a lovely quiet spot in a well-kept and charming Provencal village. The pace of life is slow here and it’s very relaxing. There is adequate parking either just outside the hotel or close by.

The inside restaurant is small and very cosy and only has about 10 tables. But when possible meals are served on the large terrace shaded by ancient plane trees and with panoramic views of the countryside. The sound of babbling water from the fountain adds to the relaxing ambience and the food itself is sublime. Dinner here is a perfect end to the day and whilst not cheap in any sense represented good value to us.
The wine list offers a reasonable selection of sensibly priced (for a restaurant) wines from Provence and some from the Rhone, Loire Valley and Burgundy. If you are looking for wines from Australia, New Zealand and the USA or indeed wine from outside France, forget it!

So our advice would be book a medium or large room on the lower floors and pre-book for dinner as the restaurant gets booked up quickly. If you are unable to get in for dinner there is a plan B as there are two other decent restaurants within walking distance.

All in all, highly recommended for a hotel of its type and the restaurant in particular.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CaptainBlack-UK
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Reading some bad reviews below, I'm wondering why some people ever bothered to go as far as Seillans! The Deux Rocs is located in an old 17th century house so expect a certain degree of "quirkiness", like space between door and floor, windows that don't fit their frame exactly, etc...
I'm staying in a lot of 5 star hotels around the world. This is not one but it was never a problem or a letdown. The hotel is full of charm, very clean, and believe me, cheap for what you get. Breakfast on the little square outside was wonderful.
To top it off, the restaurant is absolutely stunning. I was really surprised, not expecting food this quality in such a remote place.
I could feel when I asked for a coffee outside in the middle of the afternoon that it wasn't something they did (I got it anyway) and the difference with a five star hotel is this feeling that everything is possible, that you are the one and only guest that matters and that people will bend backwards for you.
The Deux Rocs was more like a really great home where you are invited to stay. The owners were friendly. It's definitely about knowing where you are and I think people who gave the place a bad review are not attuned to this kind of thing. I do not expect the same things from a Four Seasons and from the Deux Rocs.
In a nutshell, The Deux Rocs didn't disappoint, the village and the hotel are beautiful.
But for this reluctance I perceived when I asked for bar service in the middle of the afternoon (it was fleeting and not rude, but real), I would've given it 5 stars.
I will definitely stay there again. And God, the food! Hard to believe the chef is only 30.

1  Thank LondonSaltimbocca
Reviewed May 22, 2010

I was a little uneasy about our upcoming stay here given the jeckyl and hyde nature of some of the reviews. I needn't have worried. It was everything we had anticipated and were looking for. The hotel itself is old and crooked, decorated kind of like your old , well to do french grandmother's place - if you ever had an old french grandmother (I didn't!). Floors are crooked and some doorways are low, but the rooms themselves are very nice. Flat screen TV, though I never turned it on, wifi available, updated bathrooms with high end fixtures and fancy soaps, etc. Most importantly, beds were good - not too firm or soft. All in all, no complaints.

The restaurant was a dining experience in and of itself. The Mistral had kicked in a bit during our visit, so it was too cool at night to eat our on the picture postcard perfect terrace by the fountain, but the dining room was very intimate. The staff was incredibly attentive, helping my ancient French with perfect translation of the menu, some recomendations on food and the very nice wine list, and in general just very congenial. The food was very good, varied and well presented. We didn't have a clunker at our table of four. It was really a classic provencial meal in all regards.

Seillans itself is interesting. There are two main squares, both of which have retaurants. Many of the old shops have seemingly closed down. There is a bit of renovation going on with some gentrification perhaps? In any event, it is a nice and quite little village and a great place to spend the night on the way to the Nice airport. Faence nearby has a nice Tuesday market and is substantially larger with restaurants all over the place.

Final verdict for the Les Deux Rocs is that we had a lovely stay and I think you would too. The spats with the owners identified in some of the other reviews don't seem warranted based on our limited experience with a one night stay.

Bill

3  Thank BoulderBill
Reviewed May 6, 2010

When we arrived on May 1, there was only one room left in the hotel. It was a large room and a bit costly, but well worth the expense. The woman who checked us into our room was apologetic about the limited choice left in rooms (it was the weekend), and was very courteous and kind. The room was decorated in Napoleon style with antique furniture. We had a tandem bicycle they happily stored for us in a nearby garage. We were disappointed the restaurant was booked for the evening, but heard the food was good. It was a very positive experience.

1  Thank tandem-adventure
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I recently stayed in " Hotel Deux Roc " while on business and also needing somewhere to stay while having some work done on our holiday home. While I have never stayed in the hotel I have eaten in the restaurant on a number of occasions, on this particular trip I dined in the restaurant on two evenings and found the ambiance, food and service excellent. The standard of food is one of the best in the area. As I was travelling alone (as my husband was delayed due to disruption from volcanic ash) the owners and staff went out of their way to accomodate me with extra accomadation as my flight to Dublin was cancelled.
I was given a room upgrade on arrival to a large twin room that is larger than many Five star rooms I have stayed in. The room and bathroom were tatefully decorated and spotlessly clean. As an experienced traveller I have considered leaving reviews many times in the past, but never seemed to get round to it however I felt the service experience and hospitality on this quaint Hotel needed to be appreciated and acknowledged. I would strongly disagree with many of the reviews that describe the owners are inhospitable, I found them to be very pleasant and helpful. The Hotel is in a beautiful setting that is peaceful and romantic, and while the Hotel is quirky I feel this adds to its charm. One has to consider this Hotel is a magnificent old building full of charm that is impossible to experience in any modern day Hotels.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jays
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Seillans is a real hidden gem, but this hotel is overpriced, outdated and run by two surprisingly inhospitable and frequently rude and abrasive owners. See for yourself from the robust rebuttals to other reviews. No doubt this one will be as well - but you'll see for yourself by the ratings. Experiences here are hit and miss and too often and in my case it was a big fat miss. Definitely visit Seillans, but stay somewhere else in the area, this hotel and the owners are a disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mod84
margauxfrance, proprietaire at Hotel Restaurant des Deux Rocs, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2010

We are very surprised to read something from a ghest how did not stay in our house. It is very unpolite and we feel very sad because it is a very agressive opinion from someone we do not know. We regret this opinion but for sure this monsieur made a mistake and talk about another hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seillans
Hotel Les Oliviers
#1 of 1 in La Bastide
Hotel Miramar
Hotel Miramar
#5 of 13 in Vence

Been to Hotel Restaurant des Deux Rocs? Share your experiences!