“Just for Divers” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Equator Village

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Equator Village
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gan Island
Manchester
“Just for Divers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2009

I had spent the six months or so before we traveled to Gan becoming increasingly anxious about our destination given some of the comments on the trip adviser site. I was even more nervous about the lack of good diving reviews given that this is supposed to be one of the premier dive locations in the Maldives, which in turn is one of the premier dive locations in the world!
However, on arrival after watching the tantrums of a handful of new arrivals who for some unfathomable reason thought they were getting the whole bungalow on stilts experience for half the price, I was perfectly happy with what we found.
It is certainly basic. Mainly clean, if not modern and although completely lacking in sophistication or indeed any five star facilities it was completely charming in a 'relic of the empire' kind of way. It is recognizable as an ex RAF camp!
As with most resorts some of the staff were ignorant and disinterested but most couldn't have been more helpful.
The bedrooms were massive and although basically furnished the air conditioning was effective and the bathroom was adequate.
The gardens around the resort are its high spot. The gardeners obviously work really hard and know exactly what they are doing. The coconut thing mentioned on some of the other reviews is also true!
The dining room definitely needs to sort out its air conditioning. It was like Hells Kitchen and we ate and ran every night as spending any more than 20 minutes in there was purgatory. That said, we never had a bad meal and although it is buffet style and lacks, again, the fine detail of more expensive resorts I found the food to be perfectly OK. In fact stick with the local curries and casseroles and you won't go far wrong.
Anyone visiting the resort should definitely make time to either take one of the free push bikes available or take a stroll around Gan itself. It was charming and the people could not have been more welcoming but in a totally unpushy way. Nobody tried to sell us anything.
We visited the spa on my partner's birthday and although pretty pricey we had a great 'couples' massage which is a lot less dodgy than it sounds and was incredibly relaxing, although I did spend the first few minutes in semi hysterics when my other half changed into the paper knickers, which were somewhat brief!
The staff dressed our dining table with flowers on my partner's birthday and our bed was festooned with the most intricate flower petal design when we got back to our room, which was a nice touch.
The pool area was pleasant although reflects the rest of the resort in that a refurbishment is somewhat overdue. Having said that, it was perfectly adequate.
The one point I would make is that if you are not a diver or if you don't want to cabbage on a lounger near the pool all day this resort will probably drive you nuts. To be honest, although I thought the people who were throwing strops on arrival needed a reality check, I think that had I not spent the entire fortnight on the dive boat, and was consequently pretty tired in the evenings meaning plenty of early nights, I think I would have found the downmarket surroundings quite depressing after a while.
The diving was another matter. Somewhat expensive at £45 per dive, but totally worth it. We took our own gear but to be honest there was no need. Their kit was top class and didn't cost that much to hire.The dive centre was brilliant and could not have been more helpful when we experienced a couple of kit malfunctions. They replaced my partner's second stage mouthpiece when it split and lent me a BCD when my low pressure hose also split (we do look after our kit honest!) at no cost.
We saw the lot. White and black tip reef sharks on every dive. Turtles on every dive. Dolphins on three occasions traveling to the dive sites. Grey reef sharks a couple of times. Moray eels on most dives. Octopus on a couple of dives. Eagle rays on three dives. Best of all a five metre wide pacific mantra ray on one dive and several smaller mantas of about two metres in width on one other dive. The coral, totally untouched by bleaching was pristine and the most beautiful and diverse I have ever seen. Do not forget your filter for your camera as the colours are unbelievable.
Some of the drifts were 'breath-taking' but a good laugh at the same time. The wreck, the British Loyalty was brilliant and we got a cracking photograph of a pink leaf fish on it.
I cannot recommend the diving highly enough, given how much the whole trip cost it was a really cheap way of experiencing the sort of diving you normally have to pay an arm and a leg to experience.
The dive briefs were very detailed and safety was obviously a big factor, which was reassuring. Air fills were generous. The dive boat was great, plenty of room, easy to get in and out of the water, shaded and open areas, and pretty fast.
The house reef was just OK, considering the cost of the dives I wouldn't bother. The best stuff by far is to be seen off the boat.
All in all it was a great diving destination and I would recommend it to divers without reservation. The other divers we met there were lovely and really friendly and we ended up clubbing together and chartering a boat to ourselves for snorkeling on one day. I would say that the snorkeling was as good as the diving.
I'm not sure I would recommend the resort to anyone just looking for a beach holiday as the beach, although perfectly OK, was tiny and as I say a bit tatty in places.
I was going to return I would do it as an independent traveler and make it part of a two centre trip and get my fix of

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
17 Thank beanieManchester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Czech first
Nant Gwynant, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2009

We have just returned from a wonderful two week holiday at Equator Village and we think some of the reviews that have been written are very unfair. Ok it is not a 5 star resort but you know that before you go, however the staff are so friendly and will do anything to make your holiday perfect, the resort is a bit tired round the edges, but it is spotlessly clean and we thought the food was excellent ( no chips thank goodness, but fresh fish and vegetables), the head chef and his staff would try to accomodate everyones taste. The rooms were basic, but very comfortable, clean and spacious.
The snorkelling was excellent straight off the beach, where we saw turtles amongst many hundreds of different tropical fish and the free trips in the boat were an added bonus, one of our trips included being surrounded by 50-60 dolphins swimming and playing alongside the boat which was a sight we will never forget.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CharlieMarley
GB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

There are probably two reasons to stay at Equator Village on Gan…. 1) you want a cheap Maldivian holiday – particularly if you’re a diver – and 2) you’ve got some connection with the British military (Gan used to be a British airbase). Make that 3 – you’re up for a Maldivian experience with a difference … something a bit quirky and unusual.
What can I say? You’re either going to love or hate this place. I visited with my husband in January 2009 and we found it to be a really good value holiday (£1,200 for two weeks all inclusive).
We’re both scuba divers and the dive operation here is German-run – very efficiently I might add – but the diving is so popular that we had to make sure we signed up fast for dives in case we missed the boat. The downside was that the boats were very full and there are a lot of divers in the water – by comparison we stayed on the Maldivian island of Kuramathi last year and practically had the boat to ourselves most days – sheer luxury.
The diving itself is not always as spectacular as other Maldivian sites we have visited, but it can be very impressive with hammerheads and mantas putting in an appearance while we were there. There’s a good house reef for both diving and snorkelling and something akin to a beach, but not a lot of it.
As guests you get free daily snorkelling trips, a number of excursions to choose from and free bicycles to go beyond Equator Village and explore. Gan is surrounded by other islands linked by causeways and this gives you a unique opportunity to mix with the Maldivian islanders and see them at work and play. Be careful to respect Muslim tradition and cover up when out on the bikes – torso and thighs for men and shoulders, torso and thighs for women. Do take plenty of water because it’s as hot as hell – or it was when we were there. I also went running in the early evening beyond the confines of Equator Village, but got a few stares from the locals (being a female and doing something as strange as exercising, no doubt), so I didn’t make a habit of that.
We were delighted with the solitary squash court just outside the hotel complex, complete with its shiny wooden floor, which the British stationed here had installed. We played every night and the friendly staff fixed the lights for us as they weren’t working. I got the feeling we were about the first guests to use the court in some time.
I found the food and accommodation to be fine – simple, clean – perfectly acceptable. We had a few ants in our bathroom and I know that posters on Trip Advisor can really freak out about insects in the rooms, mosquitoes etc. I can only say, these things don’t worry me in the slightest. Another odd comment that can crop up is ‘Don’t expect 5-star service and facilities’, or ‘it’s not like a 5-star hotel’. Why would it be? It’s a 3-star resort and it lived up to that criteria and more, I thought. Staff were friendly and helpful. If you go on the fishing trips, they will cook the fish you catch for your dinner.
One poster on Trip Advisor said Equator Village reminded him of the film The Shining (think Jack Nicholson, a creepy hotel and the immortal words 'Here's Johnny!'. I know what he means. Equator Village is not sinister; it's charming, but there is an atmosphere about the place – a feeling of history and that things happened here which still have a hold on the place. We ate our food in the old Sergeants’ mess and you can’t help but wonder what it was like years ago. There’s only one bar – it’s very large with a TV is on throughout the day showing the news etc. There were a mix of nationalities – quite a few Brits (including ex-military), Germans, Hungarians, Russians – and we were relieved that gangs of drunken Brits had stayed away. There’s a disco on Saturday night - but it’s not exactly a place for nightlife.
Making up for the lack of beach is a lovely swimming pool and, don't ask me why, but a lone chicken patrols the grounds every day.
One quaint tradition left over from British military days is the serving of tea and cake in the bar from 4-6pm. We would rush back from the afternoon dive so as not to miss it, and our German dive guide Axel would kick up a fuss if he was delayed after the dive and arrived late for his coffee and cake. The staff would always make sure he got it though.
My only disappointment was the frightening amount of rubbish dumped in the sea. Unlike other Maldivian islands the fisherman are in evidence all around you in their trawlers (you can go and visit a cannery if you like), and they either don’t have a place out of harm’s way to dump their rubbish, or they don’t really care. Every day I went snorkelling and brought back piles of rubbish from the sea and binned it, but there’s so much of it, it just keeps coming. The photo I’ve included shows just a fraction of what I collected, and I gathered that together from just a few minutes snorkelling. It’s a health hazard to both fish and tourists and a real eyesore. The staff on Equator Village are very good at cleaning the beaches and grounds but they can’t help what goes on in the sea. Ironically the Maldivians rely on two industries - tourism and fishing for their livelihoods. This amount of rubbish is threatening both and I’m going to contact the Maldivian tourist board and British tour operators to try and raise awareness of the issue.
If you do visit Gan, you may have connection problems at Male airport – although you will get a wonderful certificate for crossing the Equator! Luckily our Monarch flight got into Male early in the morning and we made a speedy connection to Gan – with its tiny airport just minutes from the Equator Village. The downside was that going back we were supposed to have a 3am wake-up call to get us into Male airport in good time for our flight home. Rather than endure that, we decided to leave a day earlier and visit the capital city of Male. It was a great decision to make. Not only did the manager on Equator Village sort out a flight from Gan and a hotel in no time at all for us, but we got to spend a day walking around Male (very easy to do as it’s the smallest capital city in the world I believe), taking in highlights like the fish market. Then, it was a mere 10-minute boat trip to Male airport the next morning. Meanwhile, our poor friends back on Gan didn't just suffer a 3am wake-up call, but they were also holed up at Male airport for several hours afterwards, delayed due to bad weather in England. So consider a day in Male and you’ll get a greater feel for Maldivians beyond the waiter who stands at the end of your table and serves you.
And if you’re going to visit, I’d do it soon before the airport opens up for international travel – something which fans of Gan believe will change the individual nature of the place for good. Enjoy it. We did. It leaves its mark!

5 Thank trunkfishGb
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

Have seen some of the reviews and yes we thought what could we be letting ourselves in for,but i'm happy to say that the holiday was very pleasant.
Food very good and not a single chip in sight,can never understand why Brits go abroad and moan about lack of chips.We had plenty of variation at meal times,hot,cold,have what you like and as much as you like.Rooms were neat and tidy and plenty of space,walk in shower and a/con.
Two free snorkelling trips per day and one free island hopping trip during the two week stay,plus free hire of bicycle (handy if you want to visit three other islands that are linked via causeway to Gan.
No nightlife to speak of,only chat & drink in the main reception/bar area,whether this changes at high season ???
Nice pool with bar and plenty of loungers with umbrella's,if that's your thing.
The only blip would be the island hopping trip,there was a problem with the island chosen for the bbq as it was nothing short of a rubbish tip.Complaints were made to manager and now another small island appears to have been used for this outing instead.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Hotspurs
Paisley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2009

If you have never been to the Maldives and are dreaming of the ultimate Robinson Crusoe experience with azure seas, white beaches and hot and cold running 5star service, then equator village is not for you. If however you want to see the real Maldives then give it a go.

This was our 4th trip to the Maldives- we have done the up market boutique island you can walk round in 10 minutes, the large family friendly island with more amenities than you could ever use and some thing in between and our only complaint about the Maldives ever was that you dont get to really experience local culture or meet the people. This is where Equator village on Gan really comes into its own!

We were lucky to get a connecting flight almost as soon as we stepped off our Monarch flight and made the hotel for lunch - we have had slower transfers to islands far closer to Male. Food is simple and limited compared to other resorts but chef does a mean curry and unless you are a fussy eater you certainly wont starve. If you were really struggling you can pop to a local restaurant or ask the kitchens if they can find you something else.

Rooms are basic and we did miss the usual traditional open air Maldivian bathroom but the room boy kept the place absolutely spotless and when our air con malfunctioned we were quickly moved to another room without even asking. We used the dive school who are relaxed and friendly and fortunate to have probably the best hard coral in the Maldives, a real shipwreck and amazing manta point. House reef was also good with resident turtles and lovely octopus.

The beach is very small and covered at high tide but the pool is great with more than enough space and sun loungers/shades and a welcome swim up bar.

Outside the main gates you are immediately on to what was the old british RAF base. The post office is still there (though it has moved next door from where it was) - the post master is very helpful and has impeccable English , the church is now the mosque and the Naafi building and cinema are still standing. Many of the locals worked for the British and will stop and tell you the history and point out buidings - we met the gentleman who had been the tailor when the RAF were there and he was delighted to share his memories with us.

Leaving Gan you can walk to the next island but if you want to venture further afield take a bike. The further from Gan you get the more "local" it becomes - we bought coconuts from the barrow boy selling to the port construction workers, cycled through palm trees, watched the local fish market and met the local pharmacist who was very helpful when we needed her one day.The Maldivians are very friendly and are always out and about - the children like to practice their few phrases of english on you . But please do respect their culture and dress approriately - it is a very samll price to pay for the unique experience of actually getting to mix with the real Maldivian people

The staff at the hotel work very hard - on the day we left we had to get the 5am flight and the chefs were up and providing a near full breakfast srevice at 03:30. While we arived in Male very early, we just put our cases in left luggage and took the ferry ride to Male - first time in 4 trips we have managed to visit . We only had about an hour but time enough to see the presidents office, the main mosque and the national museum.

So no equator village is not 5 star - but it doesn't claim to be. What it does give you is adequate accommodation in a unique location and if you are looking to see the real Maldives then if you can, go to Gan.

• Liked — abilty to get out and about off resorrt
  • Disliked — the mosquitos
5 Thank ZanyB
Doncaster
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2009

Stayed in the Equator village for 9 days at the end of January, flying from Gatwick.

What an experience! First and foremost, for those who have never been to the Maldives, like myself, Gan is NOT the honeymoon, postcard destination. This is a rather large island (in Maldivian terms) and beyond the security gates of the hotel there is nothing but run down, local villages with no other beaches. (People expecting this transfered to other islands after one night in Equator village at a high cost)

The hotel itself is fine; clean, friendly, excellent food, wide range of drinks, well maintained. The beach is VERY small - you can fit about a dozen sun loungers on it at a time - but the pool makes up for this and many people just used the beach for snorkelling.

The free island hopping excursion is good too - visiting a local inhabited island in the morning including a visit to a primary school and 3 local tourist shops. Then you go to Bushi Island an uninhabited island which everyone was raving about until we got tthere to discover a beach with no sand but only dead coral - stuff you can't walk on or sunbathe on without cuttng your feet. Fine for an afternoon, but don't pay the $200 "getaway" trip which literally dumps you on here with your loved one to burn for a whole day. Worth the boat ride in some respects to see the wild dolphins.

Scuba diving is expensive but worth it. You don't see much more variety than you do snorkelling but the crew are friendly and Axel (the man in charge) is a cool guy.

Night Diving takes you out for 3 hrs for $15, a bargain, and you are almost guarenteed to catch something which they cook for you the preceeding night. Also get lovely sunset views.

All in all this must be remembered as a 3 star holiday. With bad sewage systems making the water brown and the bathroom constantly smell, luxury is well out the window. Once the sun is shining and you're bathing by the pool you could be anywhere - only the groundsmen offering you coconut brings you back to the Maldives. A long flight (11 hrs) + a 2 hr flight to the island, ensures your expectations are at their highest. Relax, enjoy the food and the sun, but don't expect luxury, postcard beaches or romantic heart melting scenery. Gan is not the island for that.

• Liked — The pool, the food, the sun
  • Disliked — the bathroom stank, the beach was v. small, scuba diving was expensive
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Dave_is_cute
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

Just a short review here to say I agree with the positive points listed above in some of the other reviews.

My stay at Equator Village was my first, and so far only, visit to the Maldives, but I had a fantastic time. I went on my own, but soon made friends with the small contingent of visitors from the UK. The majority of the guests were from Germany, but as I have some conversational German and can make myself understood, it was not a problem socialising with other guests.

I agree that Equator Village is not five star luxury, but I could not fault the way that the staff looked after guests. The food was good, and there was plenty of it. As a beer lover the sole choice of canned Bintang was a bit disappointing, but then I did not go to the Maldives in order to drink the beer!

I went on the Island Hopping excursion which despite the intense heat was really good fun; we even managed to get up close to a group of dolphins. The night fishing trip was also a good laugh.

Like several of the other reviewers, I made use if the bikes which are available foc. I kept hold of the bike for the week I was there and used it daily, cycling acros the causeway to a deserted beach, or using it to go and do a bit of shopping. It was certaily nice to be able to mix with the friendly and very pleasant locals.

The only slight disappointment was the beach at the resort, but then the large swimming pool, complete with pool bar, was excellent and with plenty of sun-loungers and sun-shades, was a great place to chill out with a good book and a cool, refreshing drink.

I would probably choose a different resort for my next visit to the Maldives; not because there is anything wrong with Equator Village but because I would just like to try somewhere a bit different.

Paul Bailey

• Liked — Air-conditioned and close to beach
  • Disliked — Not being able to turn noisy ceiling fan off at night.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
#1 of 1 in Meedhoo Island
Aquaventure Manta Lodge
Aquaventure Manta Lodge
#1 of 1 in Maradhoo Island

Been to Equator Village? Share your experiences!