“Viva Mario!”

Plaza Don Gabino Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Angangueo B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife and I spent New Year's Eve and New Year's night at this pleasant family-run hotel a km or so down the hill from the main part of this town that's nestled in the mountains about 125 miles northwest of Mexico City.

This small, charming motel has pleasing design features and was mostly comfortable. Our only problem was the lack of heat in our room. We had to snuggle under the covers to stay warm. We would have gladly paid more for a space heater, or somesuch.

Having said that, we can not rave enough about the services provided by Mario for his travel and eco-tours company.

Mario deserves his well-earned reputation for making the customers feel like they are the most important clients in Mexico. You e-mail him, he e-mails you back. He is a man of his word. He is a wonderful guide and historian. He is very pleasant with a superb command of English. He is committed to conserving the habitat and educating the public about what is happening to monarch butterflies migrating from up north. He is flexible. And, his rates are quite reasonable for the service he provides.

Mario picked up at the Mexico City airport, took us to his father's motel (this property), gave us a splendid tour of the El Rosario reserve the next day, then drove us back to our hotel near the Zocalo in Mexico City the following day. We prearranged a price of US$400 -- not counting two nights in the motel. We felt that the convenience and the entire experience was perfect for us -- with one exception, besides the cold room: The restaurant was closed on New Year's Day. We could have done the monarch butterfly reserve experience cheaper, but we're certainly glad we trusted the positive reviews about Mario on TripAdvisor.

We had high expectations and we came away feeling like our expectations were exceeded.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michael M

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had a ground floor room with one double bed for 550 pesos. The bed was a little hard but this is normal in Mexico. The bathroom left no area unused. A bit of a squeeze between the shower and toilet. We had checked two other hotels in Angangueo and this was much cleaner and about the same price with a traditional Mexican look and small, well-kept garden area. No air conditioning or heating but plenty of blankets were provided. Looking outside our window were beautiful mountain views. Bottled water was provided. The hotel has a restaurant attached to it that served us a great breakfast for 90 pesos each. Hotel staff, although limited in English were nice and accommodating.

The hotel is located at the bottom of the hill so it is an uphill walk to the center of town. We wanted to be away from the noise so this hotel was a good choice. We did hear people walking in the room above us but not to distraction.

Our friendly taxi driver Oscar, spoke fluent English and drove us around checking on hotels and interpreting for us for 50 pesos. He then drove us to Rosario Butterfly Preserve the next day and picked us up for 400 pesos. If a nice day it is pretty much downhill from Rosario on a fairly new road to Anganguero (about 6 kilometers) so would be a lovely walk back to town. In fact we met Oscar almost half-way back as we had started walking.

We did see a bus going to Rosario but not sure how to access it.

There was an Indian family that had a rope across the road to Rosario which we paid 30 pesos for them to lower the rope so our taxi could cross.

Room Tip: The hotel is small with only a few rooms. An upper level room would provide a better view. Overall...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GirlonthegoUSA
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed for a week at this small and charming hotel and was all the better for it. The staff were polite, the rooms clean and the food delicious. Our guide Mario was wonderful and full of stories and historical information. We could not have done it without him and his knowledge of the area.
I would do it again, and will, when the time comes. Many thanks.

4  Thank Liam M
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We spent two nights here in order to see the overwintering monarch butterflies nearby. Plaza Don Gabino is a charming place run by friendly and helpful owners. The room was clean and had a fireplace which warmed things up nicely. The small restaurant served well-prepared local dishes. Arrange to see the butterflies (or other local sites for that matter) through Mario Martinez who is a great guy. Recommended.

Room Tip: The suite with the fireplace is spacious and has a separate bedroom.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CosmoTopper
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed for a week at this charming hotel. The food was delicious, the service was excellent. Clean, charming and comfortable! Each day our rooms were cleaned and the sheets changed. The manager was very accomodating and let us pay later in the week when it was more convenient for our group. The chef gave us delicious local dishes which were fresh and simple, yet delicious. The food was presented in a pleasing manner and the waitress was attentive and pleasant. The town was interesting and most of all our guide, Mario Bernal Cruz was super! I highly recommend his services. He is the son of the owner of the inn and he took us all around the area, and to the butterfly sanctuaries. He thought of everything we needed and was a very informative and friendly gentleman.
If you need a great guide who speaks excellent english, he is your man!

Room Tip: There are a few rooms with a fireplace, if you go in Feb. you might want that because the inn has no...
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I were part of the group of 10 who recently stayed at Don Gabino. I can echo the previous review. We loved it - clean, comfortable rooms with lots of colorful blankets on the beds. Dinner for 10 was quite a process but well worth it in terms of food quality, taste, and presentation. If you want to spice up your dinner order a sniffer of tequila. High quality and a very generous pour. Hope to return and explore the town next year. We will definitely book a room at Plaza Don Gabino.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

For a long time, one of my dreams was to travel to Mexico to see the place of the Monarch Butterfly migration. I am one of those people who hates organized tours, and I always make all of my own travel arrangements. When searching the internet to determine how to get to Angangueo and where to stay, I came across information on the Plaza Don Gabino hotel. The hotel got good reviews from almost everyone who wrote about it on Trip Adviser. Within these reviews, the famous "Mario" got exceptional reviews as well. I contact Mario via email and he got right back to me. Getting to Angangueo proved to be the biggest problem for me to arrange. Mario offered to pick my friend and I up in a private vehicle in either Mexico City or Toluca and drive us right to the hotel, and the price was very fair. Otherwise our trip from Mexico City would have taken many more hours, with many more bus changes.
Even with Mario driving us straight to Angangueo, the drive was a long 4 hours. My recommendation is spend the little extra to fly into Toluca rather than Mexico City, as the drive is only a couple of hours.
Mario speaks excellent English and took very good care of us throughout our time in Angangueo. The hotel is adorable, clean and the restaurant serves excellent food at a reasonable price. The room we had was spotlessly clean and there was plenty of hot water for showers. There is no heat in the rooms, but the bed had plenty of warm blankets and we slept very comfortably. For those who complain about the lack of heat, I simply say this: you are in real Mexico not a resort. If you cannot live without all of the creature comforts of a resort, this is not the place for you. However, if you are looking for an authentic experience in an authentic Mexican village with an amazing natural spectacle that most people in the world will never experience, come here and appreicate it. It is only roughing it just a little. I highly recommend Plaza Don Gabino and Mario as your driver and guide. After visiting the monarch butterfly reserves and surrounding area sites with Mario, he drove us all the way to San Miguel de Allende and the cost was just so reasonable considering the distance and how difficult it would have been to get there without him. The town of Angangueo is quaint and safe. I got up early in the morning and walked to the town center on my own, through the small market, into the church. Everyone very friendly and I never felt in danger at all. There are parts of Mexico that tourists should avoid, but not all places in Mexico are dangerous to visit. Just exercise common sense wherever you go. I hope to return to Angangueo again in the future, as I would like to visit in March when the butterflies are preparing to fly away. I visited in January. The good thing about visiting in January is there are very few tourists. In late February and early March, the crowds start to come. Thank you Plaza Don Gabino staff and Mario for making our visit to Angangueo a memorable experience. I hope to see you again someday! Best, Karen and Peggy Sue

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank karenalaobscura
Also consider these accommodations in or near Angangueo
Hacienda de la Luz Boutique & Mountain Park Resort
#1 of 2 in Ciudad Hidalgo
Rancho San Cayetano
Rancho San Cayetano
#1 of 3 in Zitacuaro

Been to Plaza Don Gabino Hotel? Share your experiences!