“Out of the world - nice views and comfort stay”
Review of Hotel Tayka de Sal

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tahua
Hotel Tayka de Sal
Ranked #1 of 1 Tahua B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is another Tayka hotel that I stayed during my trip to Bolivia in December 2012.

Tayka is a chain of hotels kind of owned by the local community and for the local people. Money earned are to be shared with the local.

Location: It is remote. Compared with many other hotels in Uyuni or at the shore of the salt flat near Uyuni, this place is far. But it gives you an authentic experience.

View: You can see the salt flat from a higher view point as the hotel is on a hill. You can walk from the hotel to some deserted buildings nearby, and it is quite scenic. Walking from the hotel to the salt flat took about 30 minutes one way.

Mount Tanupa is nearby and the hotel is almost at the foot of the Tanupa. You can see it from the hotel.

Comfort level: The hotel is a salt hotel, many furniture is made of salt. But the "salt content" is not as much as the other one that I stayed (Hotel Luna Salada, which I will write a review). I think the hotel is comfortable. Especially after a long day, the hot shower is a nice end to the day. Bed are comfortable, though don't compare with a five stars in Bangkok! I think the hotel has done what it can already to make its guest comfortable. I have no complaint.

Food: The food is nice. Bread is good, as I remember (but the bread of the other Tayka in the desert was nicer :-))

Rating: It is given a 5 star for its location and comfort level, and the fact that it is the best choice nearby. It is more on a relative scale than on an absolute scale. Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

Comparison: Comparing with the famous Hotel Luna Salada, I would say this one has better view and more character. OK, Luna Salada is famous and run more like a modern hotel, but I don't think the two differ a lot in terms of comfort level. Luna has done a great job to have everything made of salt in the room, but I somehow don't like stepping on salt (yes, the whole floor is covered by salt), and the floor of Tayka de Sal is wooden floor, which I like it better. Of course, this means the room of Tayka is less exotic, but it is made up by its location and views.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is as you should already now in the middle of nowhere, some 500 meters from a little village. The view from the restaurant to the salar is really impressive. The staff was really nice, the rooms where comfortable (although a little cold at night) and the showers were hot and with decent water pressure. The restaurant menu was really tasty and the breakfast was also quite OK. If you are looking for a unique experience and can sacrifice some comfort or luxury, this place is totally worth it! One tip: if you travel in Winter, a sleeping bag could save your night: they have heating but at night they turn it off and the rooms get really cold.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Flc80
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is the most rustic and unusual hotel we have ever stayed in and. It is in the most remote destination ever.
In saying that we had no expectations what so ever and were thrilled with the results
The hotel is so remote it doesn't even have a road to it. You really need the powerful four wheel drive provided for the area.
When we arrived we were told there was hot water between 6.30 am and pm. All other times cold. That was ok. We were told we had the honeymoon suite which was a spacious room with little amenities but a lot of charm. The first two heaters tried didn't work but the owner cheerfully tried a third and it worked, if on half strength. As the whole hotel was made of salt bricks it was relatively warm considering the near freezing temperatures outside.
It was fine. The bathroom was clean with plenty of hot water at the stated times
Our bed was wonderful and extremely warm with fleecy sheets and plenty of lightweight but warm bedding. It was all very clean.
The dining room was cold til they lit a big open fire.. The staff were cheerful and friendly and the food, if somewhat limited was delicious.. From the dining room you could see into the kitchen and watch the food preparation.. We also saw a lovely little impromptu dance,between the staff while they prepared our meals.
From our windows we looked down onto the plains with llamas grazing then onto the salt.
Staying in this hotel was truly an experience and one we wouldn't have missed for the world.

Room Tip: Try for the honeymoon suite. It was good for us
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndyAuckand
Reviewed July 29, 2013

i just came back from a 3night stay with my family (2 girls 6&9year old very city girls!)
our stay was wonderful since this is REAL BOLIVIA! a country that is not commertialized and AT ALL tourist orientated! they re what they are! dont try to change them! simply PREPARE FOR THE WORST SO THET BEST WILL HAPPEN!

Our idea of "clean" is not theirs! their idea of "COMFORT" is definately not ours! it is a different world but worth knowing!
we took our own sleeping bags that we used every night to avoid "not very clean" fleece kind of sheets & heating dissapearing at 2am when we needed it most! it was the best we could have done! temperatures dropped to -18celcius at night! cold but the best if you want to see the most amazing night skies in the world! i am a patagonian and still Uyuni was amazing!

breakfast, food in general was wnderful for bolivian standards! my wife is from Buenos Aires and she would say hotel could be improved in many ways... but then it would not be Bolivia!

GO! specially if you have kids and you want them to experience a different world.. with no TV,limited resources but where people are still very happy and closer to God & mother Earth"Pachamama"

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank pedroporqueras
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Most furnishings (bed frame, sofa frame, table) in the room are made of salt. Comfortable bed with extra blankets provided if you're cold. Staff are friendly and helpful. Food in the restaurant is good.

Room Tip: Do check with the staff when hot water and electricity will be available. When we were there, electr...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Some of the expectations and feedback posted this far can be classified as fairly ludicrous. This is a hotel located in the Bolivian salt flats, 4000m high in the sky. What does one expect? The Hilton?

This is one of the unique hotels in it's salt construction alone. It retains heat much better than I thought it would. There was a gas heated water radiator, a blower heater and very good hot water for showering. Both gas and solar heated. The beds were comfortable, the food was tasty, there was electricity to charge out electronic toys and the staff very friendly... What more can one ask for? The dining area was chilly, but things warmed up quickly once the staff lit the standing gas heaters.

All in all, a very good stay, in the middle of nowhere... :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2012

So I stayed at this hotel as part of my 3 day 2 night tour of the salt lakes. I had heard the horror stories about the accommodation of the salt lake tours when I was in Copacabana. Thankfully I found out that there is an option for fussy travellers like myself and that is to stay in the Tayka hotels whilst on the trip.

So the hotel is made of salt which is incredible. You are very remote when you are staying in the salt lakes hence it is luxury to have hot water and electricity. We were advised upon arrival to charge phones and cameras straightaway as the electricity may not last all night. I also took a shower when we arrived around 6pm and was delighted to find it hot and powerful. After dinner electricity did go out around 10pm but this wasnt an issue for us as we had to be up early the next morning anyway. The bed was lovely and comfortable and I got an excellent night's sleep. I had in fact packed scarves, hats and gloves as I'd been warned of how cold it could be in the desert at night. I didnt feel any of this as the hotel was so well insulated. I also had another nice hot strong shower the next morning. Breakfast was good -fresh rolls that I had seen come out of the oven the night before, eggs, juice, coffee etc.

You should be fine staying here - usually it is just for the one night anyway. I actually found the accommodation better/on par with some of the other places I had stayed!

PS I would also check some of the other reviews I have left on trip advisor - the ones with 5 star are the ones I would recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ninsc

Been to Hotel Tayka de Sal? Share your experiences!