“Warm Welcome”

The Old Post Office B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Annesley
The Old Post Office B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Annesley B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We had a lovely stay here, the room was very clean, there were dressing gowns and tissues, hand cream in the room, beautiful white towels in the room. The bathroom was also very clean, choice of shower or bath. Car park will hold enough cars for the guests. Great breakfast. Hosts were very obliging. Nice rural location with lots to see and enjoy. What more can one want. Forgot to say good value for money. Great Bed & Breakfast. Owners are getting it spruced up without it affecting guests. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Helen S

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I can't understand the other reviews of this property. I can only conclude that my standards are perhaps higher than others. On the plus side, the owner Richard is a really nice guy. And unfortunately for me, that's where it ends. This house is right along the road and the front door opens off the pavement which the other traveller's pictures don't really show. When the front door was opened, there was what sounded like a large, ravenous hound ferociously trying to break his way out of a room to attack me. Richard led me to my room, upstairs past crumbling plaster on the walls and over a cat, basking on the carpet at the top of the stairs. All of the doors have been stripped of paint, but not repainted and there is a smell of animals in the house.
The room itself was OK, reasonably clean and warm. However, the ensuite shower room was again in need of being finished off. there was a massive hole in the wall which housed a boiler where a door should have been fitted and the toilet seat & lid were both stained yellow (probably caused by cleaning products but very unappealing).
I had no transport and the nearest place to dine is at least a mile away. There was snow and ice on the pavements and having read other reviews, I thought Richard might offer to drive me up to the pub. He didn't so I searched for taxis on my phone in the area and couldn't get one that was answering the phone!! Since I didn't like to ask him to, I braved the weather and followed Richard's directions along the icy footpaths.
When I got back, I settled in for the night and drew the flimsy curtains against the weather outside. I was just about to go over to sleep when a racket started downstairs. I don't know whether this was another regular guest, visitors or just the noise of the family themselves but the noise continued until 1145. I eventually got over to sleep but after a restless night, the ferocious hound started to go crazy again at 0615!!
Breakfast was not good. I had bacon, poached egg and toast. The bacon was fried, in what I do not know but there was a hint of fish off it. When the breakfast arrived, even Richard himself offered to take it back since the eggs were barely cooked.
I must also apologies to the guy, as I didn't have the heart to tell him and instead checked out after one night! I paid £35.00 for the one night I stayed which is FAR too much for the standard of this accommodation. This house needs a really good clean (the dining room in particular), the walls and doors treated to some paint and the noise kept under control. There is a B&B approximately 20 miles away that charges the same and these properties are worlds apart.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank seamusk1973
firefly1965, Owner at The Old Post Office B&B, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

I read this review with some shock and disbelief. We do indeed have a family dog, which is very friendly. However, although he would not harm anyone, we still do not allow him around our guests as we are aware some people are frightened of any dog, whether they are soft or not. I can assure all guests that he most certainly is not ferocious, but a soft border collie!
We did undergo some building work and there is some new plaster at the top of the stairs, however it is not crumbling, it is awaiting painting. The rooms are all being upgraded and painted and a new bathroom being installed, which is almost completed. As this is also a family home and a very successful bed and breakfast, we are restricted somewhat as to how much work we can undertake without it being too disruptive. We are fully booked consistently and it has been difficult to carry out too much work for that reason.
Our breakfast produce is locally sourced from surrounding farms to a very high standard. I am very upset that this review suggests that it smelt of fish. We take pride in offering the best service possible and we get very many returning guests who are extremely happy with our facilities.
It would be useful if anyone feels this way to mention it to us when they are here in order that we can rectify anything that is perceived to be a concern. One more point. We are always happy to transport guests wherever possible but we are not a taxi service and have children too. It is not always possible to take people to places, we do have a number of guests and if we did this for everyone it would make life very difficult. Most bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels do not offer personal transport and I do feel that this is quite an unrealistic expectation.
I do hope I have addressed these concerns to your satisfaction. If not, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would ask that in future, it would be helpful to give constructive criticism as we are trying to run a business.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed for 4-5 days when we were over from Barcelona visiting my family. Apart from bringing back many childhood memories from when it used to be the Post Office, we had a lovely stay. Our room was very comfortable and immaculately clean. The full English breakfast was excellent ... kept us going just about all day!! Lisa and Richard were extremely friendly and helpful. We would have no doubts at all about staying there again and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quiet, friendly atmosphere in lovely surroundings.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I am definitely going to stay here again. Much much better than staying at normal premium inns or Ibiz.
Quite area but beautiful to look at view.
Didn’t had my car with me so they drop me to nearest Pub, very nice helpful couple
***** stars value for money

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank sad_far
Reviewed May 18, 2010

We had two rooms on Saturday 1st May, when visiting family nearby. The B&B is easy to find, not far from J27 of the M1. Lisa and family were very friendly and welcoming, and Lisa cooks a fab breakfast (delicious sausages!). Our rooms were clean and cozy, and nicely decorated, and the bathrooms were recently updated and were very clean. The B&B is being renovated, so everything isn't totally up-to-date yet (for example, the hallway the rooms open onto), but this did not impact on our stay at all. We would definitely stay again at The Old Post Office.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank AJCJWA
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Lisa was extremely helpful and accommodating. We attended a wedding at Newstead Abbey and the Old Post Office B&B was in the perfect location to enjoy the surrounding countryside and Abbey. Great breakfast and very comfy bed.
Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LynseyC
Reviewed May 28, 2009

I had a wonderful night at The Old post Office as it was clean, comfy, quiet and above all wonderful value. I received such a friendly welcome and will definitely return when I need a bed in the area.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Veronica39Yorkshire

Been to The Old Post Office B&B? Share your experiences!