“Over priced” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarmonbarry
achill
“Over priced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

Deffo overpriced 13.50 for buger,chips,salad.asked for steamed pudding from the desert menu with custard cold when the waitress brought it to the table 5 50 euro.The only time we were in the place and i think it will be the last..

Room Tip: Head some where else
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gingerAchill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

When I phoned this hotel looking for a room for one person, the friendly Receptionist informed me they only had 2 rooms available and because it was such a busy weekend, they could only offer me the double rate of 99 euro. I sympathise with those who travel alone on a more frequent basis than I do when this is the kind of treatment they have to experience. Single room supplements are high at the best of times, however being charged the double room rate just because they only had two rooms left was unacceptable. When I queried the type of room they would offer to a person on their own if they had plenty of availability, I was informed it would be the normal twin or double room. I did express my dissatisfaction and felt how unfair it was and was informed that this was a management decision. Reading the reviews I am quite sure this is a pleasant place to stay, but as I did not get the opportunity to do so, I am not in a positon to comment any further. Maybe this is normal practice in hotels in general, but it is not what I have ever experienced in the past. Luckily I am not a tourist as I would hate if a visitor to our country was treated in this manner.

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Dundalk, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

I stayed in this wonderful little boutique hotel this week and it was a joy!!!!
Sitting on the banks of the river Shannon, this little treasure combines a terrific old food pub with a new modern, classy little hotel. The rooms are excellent, the food is excellent, staff and service excellent and overall, Keenan’s Hotel is good value and to be highly recommended if you happened to be in that part of the world.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
      Rooms
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

I travel a lot to small European and North American towns where my company has plants nearby. I have come to have fairly low expectations for the hotels I will stay in and had similar expectations for Keenan's.

I was completely amazed by what I found.

The exterior is modern and welcoming on arrival, with a beautiful setting on a river. Entering the hotel is a little confusing as you must go to the bar to check in. The staff from start to finish were wonderful. They even walked me to my room to make sure everything was as I expected.

Wifi, and wired high speed internet were included and worked really well.

The room was immaculate and clearly has been renovated recently. The bed was comfortable and everything worked as expected. The bathroom even had bathrobes and some fairly high end soaps and shampoos.

I only had breakfast in the hotel which was very good however I was told by my coworkers who arrived before me that the food was excellent at supper time as well.

All of this for a rate of 75euro (not including breakfast) is unbelievable to me. I will definitely stay again if I return to the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
      Rooms
2 Thank timmycanfly
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We spent the August bank holiday week-end in Keenan's and indulged in the beauty of this wonderful Shannon side location of this beautifully furnished boutique style hotel.
The family rooms are interconnected which gave us huge space, teenagers in one room, Mom and dad in the other. Peace!!!!
Because we were cruising the River Shannon during the day, it was pure luxury to return to 5 star comfort.

The service is excellent, staff were so polite, happy and MOST HELPFUL with luggage.
Breakfast is served in a gorgeous room overlooking the river, a lovely start to ANY day...
The restaurant and bar is just bursting with character and style and was full every evening. Food and service AND price was superb.

Driving from Dublin it took us only and hour and half. No tired travellers and plenty of time to get our boat into the water and avail of a full day on the river, to start the weekend.
Perfect location for us, superb luxury accomodation and excellent family break away.
We will definitely be returning.....

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the River.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Co Wicklow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed for one night. The staff were very friendly and the room clean and comfortable. Breakfast was cooked fresh to my order in the morning. The Hotel is situation right beside a bridge over a picturesque river. Very good experience

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

While the setiing of the restuarant is lovely my problem was with the food and in particular the prices. Completly outrages prices for average food. For example a bowl of chowder is €10.50!!! This is crazy. You wouldn't expect to pay this in dublin city centre. There prices need to match the location, market and quality.

Room Tip: Food overpriced and only average
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank bquaine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarmonbarry
Viewmount House
Hodson Bay Hotel
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,932 reviews

Been to Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant? Share your experiences!