“Flashback to the past... my parent's past”

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Turtle Beach is a fine place to relax, but it is definitely dated, and in need of major repairs, refurbishment, or just plan reconstruction. The beach itself has an amazing sunset view and leather back turtles really do nest there. But the facilities are straight out of the 1960's. I was waiting for David Niven (i.e. 007) to show up at any moment.

Should guests really be expected to steal bananas from the buffet at breakfast in order to have their favourite cocktail after lunch? Guests were saving their bananas from breakfast to bring to the bartender in the afternoon. The bar was frequently out of basic items from their simple drink menu.

The rooms are dark, and lighting poor. The smaller room with a twin bed was smaller than your average prison cell and very dark at night. It is very difficult to find a plug to charge electronics. Housekeeping was extraordinarily slow. The room would not be made up until nearly tea time. Once our room was left without towels and a call to the front desk went unanswered.

The bathroom had a very mouldy window sill giving the entire room a musty smell. The tub surround was smeared with caulking, and many of the fixtures were loose and calcium stained. The bath towels, when we had them, were tissue thin.

The location of Turtle Beach has great potential, and it probably always will because no one wants to invest in this facility. For now, it is best to manage your expectations.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea, but they also all back onto the main road with its traffic noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Daniel S
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

It is understandable and accepted that the hotel is not a modern facility and its obvious that it did not meet your expectations, which is accepted.

The hotel is dated I agree, but with a true 70's Caribbean Charm set in the most amazing beach location in Tobago.

We have been working on improving in a number of areas, the new sea side restaurant, tiled and new furniture in the beach side area, newly tiled walk ways from restaurant to all rooms, refurbished lobby bar and reception desk, but we do recognize there is still more to be done and we will continue in our efforts to improve the product.

Your comments, as well as those from the satisfied customers will only add and serve to hasten our efforts to continuously improve.

I would like to thank for staying with us, though its unfortunate that it was not what you expected.

Sincere regards

Leslie Amedeé

Write a ReviewReviews (1,305)

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

After reading most of the reviews I am shocked! My check in was 3pm I was not able to go to my room until 40mins after! After visiting the room with my wife I was stunned! While on my way to the room I noticed that the maintenance of the hotel was below par and some of the staff were especially the housekeepers were going about their jobs like they were liming! When we entered the room it was murky! Lighting was poor, bed was dirty with hair on the bedspread. The bathrooms were dirty and bad scented with only two towels! The trays with the glasses and tea cups were filled with dust and so was the small refridgerator!
After bringing this to the attention of the receptionist and supervisor, they were shocked and couldn't believe what I was telling them! They visited the room and confirmed what I said! I asked for another room and had to wait an hour before I was offered the next room. The supervisor said the wait was due to the cleanliness of the room. Please note this room was booked two months in advance. Ester Moore and Ntoya deserves to be commended for trying to assist with the situation. By this time I was so upset that I just made some calls and was able to secure a booking at Magdalena Grand and boy was it GRAND.... Exceptional service, food, rooms and ambience which I will definitely revisit some day again!

• Stayed: November 2013

Having read your review and personally investigated the matter previously I must express my utter shock and dismay, because this is certainly not the acceptable standard from Housekeeping in the hotel.

I agree that the hotel is not a modern facility, but cleanliness is paramount in whatever we do and I can assure this has been addressed accordingly.

It is sad that we have created such an impression for you and I do hope that you would reconsider and afford us another opportunity to prove we can do better, compliments of the GM.

Once again, our sincere apologies for letting you down so badly.

Sincere regards

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I was a little apprehensive having read mixed reviews on here. However this holiday was brilliant and exceeded all my expectations. The hotel was clean, staff friendly and facilities were very good.
The food was varied and of a good quality. It is true that the hotel is dated, but I feel that this hotel is very good value for money. I would definitely like to return. I met the manager on the managers cocktail party and had the opportunity to chat with him, what a lovely man. All in all a great holiday, in a great location.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CPD45
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Thank you and as I mentioned in our brief discourse, you had so many choices (islands & hotels) for your holiday and you chose us for your vacation and I am indeed pleased that we were able to deliver the services and product to satisfy you.

I do agree that the hotel is somewhat dated, but as agreed, it offers a true 70's Caribbean charm with the best beachfront location in Tobago

Once again, thank you for choosing us and for taking the time to post your review.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you for your return visit, where we could offer the customary "Repeaters" courtesies.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is our second stay at this hotel and again we were not disappointed.
Location - Fantastic (right on the beach)
Rooms - need brightening up but they are comfortable & clean, but how much time are you really going to spend in it??
ALL THE STAFF - Superb. Very friendly, polite and are keen to help. Esther - I love you!!
Swim up bar - brilliant!
We had a wonderful time here & will definitely return again.
Oh, & Lesley, thank you so much for arranging our room at your sister hotel in St Lucia.

Mr & Mrs Morgan

1  Thank Ken M

It was indeed our pleasure to take care of you and your family. Thank you for the confidence and loyalty shown.

I trust that you had a wonderful week at St. Lucian by rex resorts.

Its gratifying to know that once again the staff has been able to impact positively on your stay with us and I do hope this would influence where you visit for your next vacation.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming for your third visit.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is my 4 th stay at this hotel, and may I say each time my boyfriend and I stay we fall in love with it each time. There is no need to leave once u come in, if it is a romantic stay u are looking for. The staff at this hotel make u not want to leave, they even remember us each time we come. It was our anniversary so Easther at the front desk had champagne sent to the room, love her for that.
However, the only draw back is that we have gotten to know the Menu by heart as it has not change on our 4th visit need to revamp the menu Rex.
The rooms are clean and so comfortable that it feels like home after only a few hours in it, always ask for the room close to the pool u walk from u room to the pool, and u can spend the night just look out at the pool. Value for money this is the few and best all inclusive on the island, that offer value for money. My boyfriend always wants us to find some place else and we always end up right back to this hotel. We will be back for our 5th next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Diane C
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

We are counting the days to the 5th visit. Thank you for loyalty and it is wonderful to hear that we have made it difficult for you to go anywhere else. This speaks volumes for efforts of the staff. I would admit there is still room for improvements, but your appreciation goes a long way in helping motivate the staff in giving the best every time.

Your comment about the menus is noted and we are working on this with our Chef and I can assure you that you will see improvements on your 5th visit.

We will continue working feverishly to maintain and improve our product and services to satisfy you, our valued REPEAT guests.

We look forward to welcoming you on your 5th visit.

Warmest regards

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have just returned from a fabulous two week holiday in Tobago and it was a joy to be back at the Turtle Beach. This was my fourth visit to this hotel and as it was 3 years since my last visit i was pleased to see that the hotel has greatly improved. Firstly a huge thank you in particular to Jason and Raoul who were always smiling and charming at the pool bar and the lovely Glenis and Daine who looked after us so beautifully in the restaurant, these members of staff are a credit to the Turtle beach and really made a difference to our stay.
The hotel is clean and the gardens beautiful, the pool was pristine. The food was plentiful and varied and the cocktails were free flowing and delicious.
All the rooms are seafacing and our room had a fridge and Tv which was stocked when we arrived and re stocked free of charge during our stay on our all inclusive plan. The only minor issue we had was with the bed linen, the undersheet was not fixed to the mattress and so slipped in the night and the bed was so big (Super King) that the linen didnt fit and so we found ourselves in a tangle most morings!
Turtle Beach is a 3 star hotel but with 5 star caribbean charm, the most noticible improvement was the new beach front open air dining room, it really is beautiful but it was a shame that it was not used more, perhaps this was due to the hotel being quiet.
I was pleased to once again find Engine Bobb and Dillon Richards in their "office" just beyond the hotel wall. Dillon is an amazing local artist who paints on the sand and Engine makes beautiful bird feeders and gifts from bamboo, these two gentleman are always pleased to invite you to lime with them and so i would emplore every guest to go and say hello and enjoy their company.
Tobago really is a stunning unspoilt island with lots of hidden gems and so it really is essential to get out and explore the deserted beaches and lush rain forest and all it has to offer. We hired a car and used Sheppeys rentals which reception kindly arranged for us and the car was delivered to the hotel.
The Turtle Beach is a lovely relaxing and peaceful hotel, the evening entertainment was not every night during our stay and so i would recomend this for couples or people looking for rest and relaxation. If you feel like a bit more nightlife then i would recommend a trip to Sunday school to experience the Steel bands and local music.

We will return to Tobago as soon as we are able and will be returning to the Turtle Beach as we think it really reflects the true warmth of the West Indies and its people.

Room Tip: Room 202 is closest to the main hotel
5  Thank LadyPKent

Thank you and thank you again for your loyalty, confidence and commitment to us, Turtle Beach by rex resorts. As you correctly stated the people makes the biggest difference and I am pleased that staff were able to do that again on your fourth visit.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review and your comments will most definitely help in propelling us in our efforts to continuously improve on what we offer to you our most valued REPEAT and first time guests.

Once again, thank for choosing Turtle by rex resorts as your referable holiday resort and lets hope we see you soon and hopefully not with a gap of a three year lay off - smile.

Thank you and see you soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I chose this resort as I had previously been to the Rex resort in Barbados so I expected a certain standard and I have to say I was not disappointed. We went on this holiday to totally relax and with this hotel we certainly did. The welcome was good and the room had a lovely view over both the pool and the beach. The staff were friendly and the room was cleaned everyday and towels changed everyday if you wished.There is some aspects of the facilities in the room that could be improved on and I did comment to the manager at the weekly get together- pillows are rock hard, mattress protectors need to be tied into place as I spent alot of my holiday at nights pulling the bottom sheet straight. There are beverages in the room but no milk- we discovered the next day that you can get fresh milk from the tea and coffee area near the bar but this needs to be stated in the literature in the room. The pool was great for me 3 ft 6 ins and was a great size, they were having a spring clean of the sun chairs whilst we were there as they certainly needed it. The food was good with a reasonable choice and we enjoyed the outside location for meals with the view over the beach. Overall I have to say that this hotel is needing some money spent on it so I will not rate it a four and if you need to be the bustle of life outside the hotel this is not the one for you. PS if you are looking for a trip you must go on the Island Girl catamaran it was worth it and costs 85 US dollars each.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues get a ground floor room as the stairs to the first floor can be stee...
1  Thank careline
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, but more importantly, for affording us the privilege of having you spend your vacation with us.

It is very much appreciated to hear that so many aspects of your stay with us was very satisfactory to you. Comments of the minor defects and failings has been taken on board, as it is always our intention to improve the product and services we offer to valued guests.

Once again, thank for choosing the Turtle Beach by rex resorts and for your loyalty shown in the Rex Resorts group of hotels. May this loyalty and confidence continue in the years to come with a repeat visit to Turtle Beach by rex resorts.

Leslie Amedee

Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
1 mi away
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!