We were in our favourite pottery shop in Porches. the pottery capitol of the Algarve ,having a conversation with the propiertor who told us that the Vale D'el Rei a suite and nature hotel nearby on the road to Carvoeiro was having "Grande Noite De Fado" and it was actualy on that evening the 6th February.
Well any of you know the Algarve at this time of the year , know you get glorious days of warm winter sunshine.But most of the area at this time of the year is like an old wild west ghost town.Nearly everything is closed.But the restaurants and hotels that stay open and offer what Vale D'el Rei gave us last night are to be prized,it was a glorious evening!
We drove the four odd kilometers to the hotel and were lucky to get the last available table.We stayed and had a cup of coffee on the patio and saw what a lovely hotel this was in its extensive gardens.
We returned to the hotel at 8PM and for over two hours we were feasted and entertained to such a high standard that I give my five stars without hesitation. For 19,50 Euros we had a six course dinner including coffee plus the entertaintment of two musicians on mandolin and guitar and a young lady and a more senior gentleman performing Fado to a very high level.
What made it very special was that many of the Portuguesse joined in the choruses at the right time, and now for the menu .
The meal started with Couvert and a choice of six "Tapas".It was followed by a fish soup an then a trilogy from the sea consisting of Tuna,Golden bream and Shrimp on butter sauce and lemon sauteed potatoes with vegetables.If this was not enough, Pork tenderloin with clams and bread stew,mashed potatoe and asparagus followed.My wife had a pasta dish instead of the pork.The desserts were made up of an Algarvian Sweet variety.Coffe followed. The price also included water, soft drinks and a half bottle of wine!
I cannot recommend this hotel enough for what it offered us last night. It was a glorious evening. i believe that they will be having a special evening every Wednesday now.We will be back in London ,we go tomorrow,but next time we return to our holiday home in Salgados we will visit the Vale D'el Rei again , without doubt.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in a typical Portuguese rural landscape and just 60 km west of Faro Airport, Vale d'El Rei Hotel & Villas is near to the village of Carvoeiro, south of Lagoa on the way to the famous Marinha beach. Surrounded by flourishing vineyards, and endless stretches of Atlantic coastline, this is a unique place where nature imposes a slower pace life. A relaxed atmosphere, supreme comfort and authentic Algarvian hospitality ensure that each visitor enjoys a genuine "home from home" experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Prestigia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Vale d'El Rei Hotel & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vale d`El Rei - Suite & Village Hotel Lagoa
- Vale d`El Rei - Suite And Village Resort
- Vale Del Rei
- Vale D'El Rei Hotel & Villas Portugal/Lagoa, Algarve