“Beautiful hotel”

Agua Hotels Riverside
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lagoa
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed from the 19th June for 7 night in a Junior-suite which was lovely, modern and spotless. This is definitely worth the money to get such an great room. The view of the river was amazing and we were pleased to have our own kitchen area with a huge balcony and sun loungers/ chairs. The kitchen was well equipped and also had a dishwasher; we only had to buy dishwasher tablets.

Although we had a dishwasher we were surprised to see that the cleaners (who cleaned daily) even washed our dishes. The beds were made perfectly and bathroom towels can be changed if you leave them on the bath. This made the stay even more relaxing and we felt spoiled.

The staff were always friendly and tried their best to overcome the language barrier. There was always someone to help at reception as well as waitress at the pool to bring drinks straight to our sun loungers. The pool was lovely and we always managed to get sunbeds. At the beginning of our stay the pool was very cold but it seemed to warm up towards the end but it was never unbearable. The free spa was also really nice it included: jacuzzi, sauna, steam-room and pool. The only problem we had is that the spa caused our eyes to sting so we felt we couldn't stay for any longer than around an hour. We also had to wear swimming caps which was slightly embarrassing but also quite funny.

The food in out opinion, was also a lot better than reviewed. We had breakfast every day and felt there was a lot of variety including: bacon, egg, beans, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, cold meat, fruit, cereals, pastries and bread for toasting. We had also had lunch which was very nice. My girlfriend had spaghetti carbonara and I had a burger and we both enjoyed what we had but the menu had a lot more. We also inquired about dinner but only to find that it was buffet every night at 18 euros each drinks not included so we decided to eat out.

We found a very nice restaurant on our last night in Praia Da Rocha called 'La Gioconda' (right at the end of the strip behind another italian restaurant). The staff were very friendly and the food was great. The beach at Praia da Rocha was amazing it is definitely worth visiting and is only 10 euros away in a taxi (just ask reception to arrange this). At night time Praia da Rocha got a lot busier with clubs and bars as well as stalls selling nice clothes and jewelry.

We also walked into Portimao which is the city across from the hotel. This only took around 25 minutes. It is a lovely city and we came across a huge shopping center called 'Aqua Portimao' and decided to have a look and ended up spending the day there and ate at the foodcourt which included: a Chinese, McDonalds, Pizza-Hut and lots of other healthier places too. We were surprised to find a Primark, H&M, Zara as well as loads of other equally good shops too.

We wanted to visit a local market and were recommended a place called 'Odiaxere' by the receptionist. This was a pretty poor market and contained very little and we were very disappointed. We decided to go to Lagos zoo instead which turned out to be brilliant but quite expensive for a taxi (around 70 euros there and back).

Overall, we had an amazing time for our first time in Portugal and we would definitely go back to this hotel if not, the same area. We felt that we were barely in a "run-down" area at all and that travelling was also no problem and we didn't have to rent a car. Taxi's were really cheap and the hotel is such short distances away from such nice places. We find it strange how people have complained of a smell from the river as we only came across this for short periods at random times and it was a very slight river smell. We were on bed and breakfast and we found this to be satisfying enough and we were pleased we did not go all inclusive as a buffet for dinner every night may have gotten very boring.

We would one-hundred percent recommend this hotel to anyone; as long as you do some reading-up on the area and check the distances between places you shouldn't have a problem. :)

Room Tip: Definately get a Juniour Suite the river views and sunsets are beautiful
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Collier212
There are newer reviews for Agua Hotels Riverside

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had a relaxing week away but if you are looking for a hotel with evening entertainment then look elsewhere. The hotel is a little out of the way but the staff are friendly and eager to please and the food is of a standard better than many all inclusive hotels. Nearby Ferragudo is well worth the walk to get to and the local beaches are heavenly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 432scarecrow
Reviewed June 25, 2013

First of all this is not a 5 star hotel has being described by LCH I has 4 stars planted on the outside of the hotel.
All the staff I encountered were brilliant.
I thought the room also was brilliant
I was overlooking the river on the third floor.
You really do need a car to get out and about I did walk to Portimao and onto Plays De Rocha but wouldn't be able to do that everyday, the taxi fare cost me 11 euros to get back to the hotel.
I took a travel kettle because of liking a cup of tea, the room has a small fridge but be warned no cups, spoon no bottle opener etc. so had to venture a 100 yards or so the local supermarket which was a godsend. 4 EUROS a pint I think is too much at the hotel so found a local café where it cost less than 2 euros.
The riverboat was not in use when I was there which was a shame.
All in all a nice hotel but no night life whatsoever unless you got out.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor river side view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank daveandchris2012
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We decided to say here after reading some excellent reviews, .

Indeed the hotel is not in the best place for those without a car. It is a 10 minute walk to the LIDL for supplies, a 25 minute walk into Portimao and a 20 minute walk into Ferragdo (beautiful little fishing village). We like walking so that was not a problem for us. Prices for taxis are approximately €5 to Ferragdo and no more than €10 to Portimao. Alvor and Praia da Rocha (beaches of Portimao) are, in my opinion, well worth a visit and no more than €14 in a taxi.
their was no service at all from the hotel.

The apartment itself was big, comfortable and most importantly clean. The balcony was a great size, the chairs supplied on the balcony are not that comfortable so not as much time as I would have liked were spent sunning on the balcony, but sometimes that’s the breaks. One evening we where sitting in with the doors on the balcony opened after a while the room was swarmed with files from large pool stagnant water from across the road the smell was sometimes unbearable we had to keep the doors closed I had get fly killer from the receptionist who showed no concern at all
I would not recommend this hotel to you if you do not have your own transport

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We checked into this hotel after being told we would have a riverside view but we were put on the ground floor next to the reception with a car park view! Which was very noisy ! This was not a good start to our holiday as we contacted them while back in england.
After telling the reception that our room was wrong they told us they upgraded us without our consent. Upgrade??
Some of the staff were friendly but not all! The breakfast buffet was tiny and I'm telling you was not worth the money! The infinity pool and the indoor pool was amazing the view was beautiful at night too. The cleaners were so nice and they did a great job. The hotel is at a good location far from the airport but you get a good local feel and there is plenty to do like slide and splash, wine tasting, and the zoo. Cab fares are decent too or you could rent out a bike from the hotel for 10 euro's for the whole day. One thing I liked was that they had english speaking channels not many but ITV and BBC was there so at least I could understand!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 19, 2013

A car (or a lot of Valium) is essential.

The hotel only functions adequately as a base from which to visit other places.

If you were already staying somewhere else (and you should be) there are no circumstances imaginable under which you would visit this location other than perhaps to have your car repaired after turning it over having misjudged the daftest roundabout on the planet which is just up the road.

Parchal is a village that has a couple of amenities not encountered everywhere, namely a back-street knocking shop and a level-crossing at which the occupants of recently halted cars leap out to collect snails which they......well actually I've no idea what they're going to do with/to them and would prefer to give it no further consideration.

The area's sole redeeming feature apart from the views over the river (day or night) and watching newly fledged storks attempting their first few take-offs and landings, is the Monka (no, me neither) restaurant which is about 150 yards away and is operated by what can only be Jack Pallance or Steve McQueen's daughter assisted by Aretha Franklin's sister
If you believe yourself to be passably cool (as I did), prepare youself for a jolt of reality as you are languidly assessed and forensically categorised by icy eyes under lowered lids.
She makes the clipboard-nazis at Bouji's and Mahiki seem like cheerleaders.

Initially we went in out of desperation (we were hungry and it was the only place open) but we found ourselves in there three times out of a seven night stay.
I'm not entirely certain why we ate and drank exactly the same thing on each occasion but cannot rule out the possibility that it was because that was what they felt like giving us.

Hypnotism's another strong contender

Apart from a bit of bemused nodding, I don't actually recall having any meaningful input but, if anything, it seemed to add to the enjoyment.
Theirs certainly.

The hotel itself could easily be quite good (although still in the wrong place) but it seems that the management lack your preferred combination of expertise, interest, training, drive, staff or finance to attend to the many irritating shortcomings and areas of neglect.

Several people pointed out that while he door out to the pool and restaurant was perfectly happy to let you out, it was considerably less inclined to re-admit you causing several spirited sprint and dive combos in order to prevent having to shuffle about pretending you wanted to hang about on the steps waiting for the next person to leave the building.

The pool is unheated, stained and of the "Infinity" type particularly if you define infinity as 20ft(ish) square.
The Verucca pre-pool contains nothing .
Hopefully this includes veruccas.

Other reviewers have commented on the absence of entertainment.

I find this quite puzzling as I was often in hysterics laughing at people trying to get in, watching the 7am irrigation cycle soak virtually every sunbed, attempting to determine whether the latest howl of anguish was caused by putting any part of your body in the pool or receiving a bill for two small beers and a small wine (12euros).

The best bit of entertainment was discovering "World without End" by Chris Mooney which, given that it was stuffed behind my lavatory, unfortunately wasn't available to everyone.
The previous reader had clearly been trying to shove it down the toilet where, to save time and trees, it should have been put before being printed.

If you are often under the impression that you're watching War and Peace when in fact it's the Roadrunner or Spongebob Squarepants, this is the book for you.

Our Junior Suite (226a) was little short of superb in most respects.
Comprising a large air-conditioned (virtually silent, very effective and operable independently of the smartkey) bedroom with queen-size bed, tv, free safe and more than ample wardrobes etc, a very large lounge/diner/kitchen and a bathroom of the Hugh Heffner school of design.
The balcony was enormous and on two sides providing a delightful view over the river and Portimao.

If you've got (or are) kids, don't go,
If you like an evening of refreshment and conviviality, don't go.
If you like to go for a bit of a stroll to see what's what, don't go.

If you're particularly happy with your own immediate company and would like a week (you'll be in the rubber-room eating crayons if you stay longer) of peace and quiet reflection you could do worse.

It's nearly good, but not quite nearly enough.

Room Tip: One in another hotel but if you must stay here 126a, 226a 326a will ease your pain.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank root666
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I decided to say here after reading some OK to excellent reviews, then immediately after booking a few terrible reviews appeared and I was feeling a little sceptical about the choice of hotel.

Indeed the hotel is not in the best place for those without a car. It is a 10 minute walk to the LIDL for supplies, a 25 minute walk into Portimao and a 20 minute walk into Ferragdo (beautiful little fishing village). I personally like walking so that was not a problem for me. Prices for taxis are approximately €5 to Ferragdo and no more than €10 to Portimao. Alvor and Praia da Rocha (beaches of Portimao) are, in my opinion, well worth a visit and no more than €14 in a taxi.

The apartment itself was big, comfortable and most importantly clean. The balcony was a great size, however, the chairs supplied on the balcony are not that comfortable so not as much time as I would have liked were spent sunning on the balcony, but sometimes that’s the breaks.

If you need a hairdryer, ask reception and they will give this to you for the duration of your stay. Same with the cable for internet connection in the room; there is no Wi-Fi in the rooms, but good access by cable. For those of you with a laptop the safe is small and it probably will not fit. English channels were mostly news and also ITV2 so if you like Murder She Wrote, you’ll love this channel! But then again the TV wasn’t really on a great deal.

Luckily the sun shone during the stay and the afternoons by the pool were very relaxing and I cannot fault the staff for being friendly and helpful. I tried one of the spa treatments, which were a little on the more expensive side (but not extortionate), and I thoroughly enjoyed the massage.

I stayed on a bed and breakfast basis with all inclusive drinks. Breakfast was fine for me as I am not a heavy eater, so a selection of breads, ham, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, cereal, eggs bacon, mushrooms and beans suited me to a “T”. With regard to the inclusive drinks, I was happy with the beer and just stuck to that.

If you are looking for a hotel in the “middle of it all” for exciting nightlife and entertainment, this is not the place for you. If you don’t mind walking, catching taxis and or arranging day tours to take you out of the hotel (which of course you’ll need to factor into your budget) or you have a car, this is a good base.

All in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Coogs_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoa
Tivoli Marina Portimao
#81 of 154 in Albufeira
Hotel Topazio
Hotel Topazio
#49 of 154 in Albufeira

Been to Agua Hotels Riverside? Share your experiences!