“Cultural experience”

Belleville, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Cultural experience”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Interesting bus ride with beautiful views of Jamaica and the way they live.
Loved the museum and seeing where Bob Marley came from.
Highly recommend going on this trip.

1 Thank Jennifer F

• Polish first
Sydney, Australia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“BOB MARLEY 9 MILE”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is one of the most amazing, inspirational trips Ive ever made in my life. To touch Bob Marleys tomb, is mind blowing, and very emotional. ''What a great man lies within these marble walls!!!!''........I cry even as I write this......the drive up from Ocho Rios is scarey as hell....lol....but drive back via Runaway Bay

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Sus11F
Chicago, Illinois
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“What would Bob say?”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Here are the basic, but important facts about this excursion if you decide to go:
It will take up nearly an entire day. There will be ganja, and lots of it! DO NOT bring impressionable teens to Nine Mile!!!!! The home Bob lived until age 10 has been transformed to tourist standards. If this interests you, keep reading.
I was picked up early in the morning, and the bus made three other stops at hotels for others. There were 12 of us in all, plus the driver and the Rasta tour guide. The driver and guide were pleasant enough, but we were their umpteenth passengers and that was evident. The turn off from the main road to Nine Mile is about an hours drive from Montego Bay, then another hour or so drive up into the mountains. Much of it is scenic. Along the way, the guide (who I should mention was our guide on bus only as we would then be turned over to a Marley employee once inside the gated compound at Nine Mile), warned us, if not encouragingly so, that we would be offered pot for purchase and to enjoy once inside the Marley compound, it's still a bit of a shocker to see it all before you-in all forms too. I should point out that possession and use of marijuana is illegal in Jamaica. Several in our group did purchase and immediately began smoking. Inside, there are a couple of gift shops and a t-shirt kiosk, along with a bar and restaurant. You are encouraged prior to beginning guided tour to purchase (gifts, shots, etc). Then before walking up hill to home and mausoleums (both Cedella, Bob's mother and Bob's) there is a "likkle" entertainment by rasta musicians, who unfortunately seemed as though they were just going through the motions, and I believe we were the first group that day:( Without spoiling too much of the details to property, I'll just leave it to what I said above, compound has been transformed to tourist standards. Time spent at Nine Mile is just about 2 hours. Usually, as ours did, tours include lunch in Discovery Bay area before trip back to MoBay.
Some of the previous reviewers mention the few requests for tips inside the compound. Hey, everyone is trying to earn a living here. Tourists need to lighten up both their attitudes and wallets! I'm glad I went as I had wanted to do this while in Jamaica. Much of the country's GNP comes from tourist dollars. Sometimes it's nice to get away from the beach and see the countryside. In the end, I think I appreciated the drive and scenery more than the experience at Nine Mile.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank smar530
Paisley, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“A great day out”
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We went on the zion bus tourand its a great way to go, on an old fashioned jamaican bus with full sound system belting out bob marley tunes, views of the countryside and tour guide giving info, its a good insight into jamaican culture and bob marleys influence on it.

For the whingers, this is real jamaica not ur hotel, also every tourist place has gift shops and chase tips, chill out sit back and enjoy

If u dont like marleys music and are offended by weed dont go, simple

2 Thank Aidyh
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“one love”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The drive to the mausoleum from Boston Bay was beautiful, there were about 20 of us (we were over for a friends wedding) so we had a bus, with the windows open, so we could smell pockets of ganga and jerk smoke, i wish i could take those smells back with me. It was lovely to see Bobs inspiration rock and visit his tomb. I found it very emotional, i've loved Bob Marley and reggae since i was a wee kid. I don't smoke pot, but people smoking around me on the tour didn't bother me, each to their own, its part of Rastafarian life. It didn't seem cheesy at all, it seemed touristy, but it is a tourist attraction! I wouldn't go back and do the tour, but I'm glad we did it! The only thing i'd say was awful was the food! Jerk chicken that was not jerk chicken, and serving burgers! But over all I'm glad we did it! And our tour guide was lovely, as were the the guys in the band singing at the start of the tour.

Visited January 2013