“Read before u go”

Jamaica's Spirit of Reggae - the Bob Marley Experience from Montego Bay
New York
“Read before u go”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We drove up in rental car. Road bait bumpy and not much signage, but no big deal, people along the way were helpful w directions.
When we arrived, men surrounded and told us to park car on street...hmmm no parking lot? Seemed a bit weird, but we did it. Guy said he would watch our car (presumably for tip). To me this was a bit disorienting, I was expecting a person with name tag to welcome us, or a parking lot, so was a bit on edge. Then two or three guys wanted to take my wife and I for a walk to the plantation. This all seemed like a sham and unsafe so I told him I wanted to go to bob burial place first. After additional pressure, they relented and brought us to a closed gate where they knocked and door to museum was opened...very unusual way to enter. Then, as mentioned in other reviews, this was mostly an attempt to get u to spend money. We did not take a drink at bar, which now that I read other reviews, I am glad I did not. I did not listen to the three guys who wanted to play music for us as they were going to want money too...mind u this is after $19 per person admission. Tour was nice. But overriding theme for me was that bob marley connects to me and others through the soul and spirit. That is what draws us to him. This exhibit lacked that spirit and love. It did not lack people who talked about spirit and love though. Perhaps if u read this and other reviews before u go, u will enjoy more. I did enjoy learning some more about bob m life.

Visited June 2012

• Polish first
Chester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ok, but beware of the bar 'sting' when you enter”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Went to the Bob Marley Mausoleum at Nine Miles. Overall the tour etc is well run and interesting, gives you a fascinating insight into the life of a legend, the Rastafarian culture and Jamaican way of life (even if the guide is a little stoned - adds to your amusement).

However, when you enter you will be pestered by the Ganje dealers outside, no problem either say no or take the chance up to you if you are into that kind of thing.

It is when you get to the bar area that the real con takes place. You are invited to have a 'Nine Mile cocktail' to get you in the mood for the tour, ok, you get a shot glass as a souvenir, looks all pretty and they light it, you drink it through a straw then they charge you 13 dollars for the privilege (even if you decide not to take the glass the price is the same), absolute rip off in my opinion. Instead of preparing you for the experience it just p*sses you off for the day.

Good tour, watch out for the con men!!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Andrew S
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Interesting and Informative Place”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

The Bob Marley Tour was a great experience for me. The tour was very educational and made me fall in love with him even more. I like that we had to take off our shoes while on the grounds, it was a way of showing respect. It was nice to see his room that he shared with this wife Rita before he became so famous. The tour guide even sang us a song while in the room. Seeing his mausoleum was intense for me. Being able to be so close to his final resting place was a big deal to a big fan like me. The souvenir shop was awesome, great things to purchase for yourself or big Bob Marley fans and the prices were not bad either. My recommendation is going with a trustworthy taxi driver (kevinot18@digicel.blackberry.com) because the trip is a bit long from what I recall. The roads are tiny to go up the hill and bumpy too; but very nice scenery of the country side.

Visited August 2011
Blackwood, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Bob Marleys birth place”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

myself and my boyfriend stayed in Ocho RIos at the Rui and travelled to Nine Mile via the Zion Bus and we absolutely loved it!You cannot go to Jamaica and not see where Bob Marley was raised,its so humble. The trip there itself was worth the price,we were served rum cocktails,had music playing and a brilliant driver and tour guide. We learnt everything about the singer whilst having fun. Also whilst at Bob Marleys final resting place it is LEGAL to buy weed and smoke it there. Fab time!

Visited April 2012
3 Thank michelle b
Durban
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Paying respect to a great man was rather intense.”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Our favorite tour guide Rusty took us up throught the beautiful hills to pay our respects to Bob. It is somewhat intense when you first get there, but this is part of the experience, nothing like home which is why we leave. An interesting view of what was versus what is Bob Marley's resting place. For me the eye opener was when some children in a tree on the perimeter of the property asked for money, no problem, I had a handful of loonies and toonies but they didn't want them. "paper money only" was all we heard. This is hard for me to understand, the locals told us 70% of their tourists are Canadian but you haven't found a way to convert our money to something usable to you. Come on young entreprenuers you're missing out. The tour itself was good, commercialized yes but so is everything on the island. It was great just to be there. As many others have said you may want to leave the children at home. Respect!

Visited March 2012