“Amazing Location”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Ungasan
Athens, Greece
“Amazing Location”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed for 6 days during New Year's eve 2014. The hotel location and the gardens are amazing. We had a garden pool villa. The pool of the villa is one of the biggest private pools you can find in a hotel. The villas are huge and beautifully decorated.We strongly suggest this resort in Bali in case somebody is looking for a hotel away from crowded areas like Kuta Beach.
The beach is not swimmable but the views from Jumana Restaurant are fantastic, Central pool is also amazing. The resort is really value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Helmy_Shaukany, Manager at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Npasxa,
Thank you so much for the lovely comments on your recent stay here at Banyan Tree Ungasan Bali. We are delighted to hear your positive review.
Thank you once again.
Helmy Shaukany – The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I just want to thank you and the Banyan Tree Staff for doing an awesome job to ensure that I had a wonderful stay in Banyan Tree. The service was exceptional and we enjoyed the stay at our wonderful villa tremendously. My parents would also like to thank the Banyan Tree Team for celebrating their anniversary with the nice decorations and delicious cake.

We hope to come back to Banyan Tree Bali soon and I look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you and We wish you a Happy New Year too!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My wife and I were looking forward to visit the Banyan Tree, Ungasan. We had an extremely high expectation for a Banyan Tree property, but the service, quality of food and value for money of this resort fell short. The hotel only has two restaurants available for dinner, Bambu and Ju Ma Na. While our experience at Ju Ma Na was to say a pretty impressive experience, Bambu was far from great. Our second night we thought it would be nice to go to Bambu to see the Balinese show and have dinner but only to find that our food never came out until the show was over. We were one of the last couples at the restaurant. I was disgusted with the service and the way they handled the situation. My wife and I lost our appetite and decided to leave and to never to return for dinner at Bambu for the rest of our trip. Our only option now was to spend an excess of $300 at Ju Ma Na which is OK if they can accommodate a reservation or have the in villa dining service which coincidently are same chefs at Bambu who prepare the food. Go figure! Not only did they make a mistake the first night, they messed up two more times during our stay. The second and third times they brought the wrong item and had to go back to the kitchen to correct the order. The in villa dining orders were verified on the phone and they still made several mistakes. I don't know if it was miscommunication, but they should be on top such situations especially after screwing up our initial dinner. Breakfast AGAIN is provided by Bambu, which is complementary but the food is average to say the least. Much of the food selection during breakfast is Asian inspired, so not much choice otherwise. Considering we are staying in a tropical country, I expected the fruits to taste delicious, but the fruits they provide during breakfast did not taste sweet (i.e. pineapple, grapes, watermelon).

And the problems continued: The first few days we heard a lot of construction noise during the early/mid morning but since the noise has stopped. We are here to relax and enjoy our trip but such obvious issues should be considered and mentioned to the guests prior to their stay.

We planned an excursion to see the Uluwatu temple. The hotel offered a package of providing us with a driver to show us the local village then take us to the temple. The driver did not speak much English and we were charged approximately $100 to just drive us there and bring us back!! The ticket to get into the temple and the ticket to see the local dance was not included in that amount. It is probably cheaper taking a taxi to go to local sites than taking a driver from the hotel. The drivers they provide do not work at the hotel, but are local drivers that are called upon request and are extremely overpriced. Highly suggest you do not book the hotel driver if you want to save some money.

We have stayed at other five star resorts in Asia and we have experienced better service. The villa it self is pretty nice and the view from top of the cliff is amazing but other than those two things there isn't much we liked about the resort.

We definitely would not come back to the Banyan Tree, Bali as we find this is far from a 5 star experience.

5 Thank Raj L
Helmy_Shaukany, Manager at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Raj L,
Thank you for your feedback and comments. It is appreciated.
I am truly sorry that you experienced some shortfalls during your stay with us.
We have already addressed your comments and rest assured that corrective actions have already been implemented.

Thank you for your gracious comments on the villa and view. I am happy that you found the rest of our facilities to your expectations.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the resort and allow us to reinstate ourselves in your good faith.

With best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We're half way through our stay and I feel compelled to put pen to paper and express our bemusement at what should be a 5* holiday.

The hotel is set on a cliff with a rocky beach below, because it's the rainy season we have not had an opportunity to use it which is just as well because it has litter left cleary washed up onto the beach.  A lone lifeguard is the only staff member and there are no refreshments available unless it is requested from room service.  Clearly not worth the effort you have to make to get there down steps cut into the cliff.

The staff are very friendly and willing and are not the problem.  Clearly past it's best the hotel is now tired.  Part of the breakfast restaurant terrace roof needs repair and unusable, the villa is not up to the standard of other similar styled resort with various issues that needed the maintenance teams attention.  I guess the worst part is that once pointed out the repairs are done quickly but surely basic checks should be made before letting the room out. Its enough for me to say that it's the small things make a difference.

Buffet breakfast is included and is mostly up to a good standard, but we've stayed in enough of these type of hotels to know that this is not as it is in other similar resorts where they serve all day breakfasts instead of a fixed time service. Also we are surprised that bananas are in such short supply on an island that grows them..... Even so it seems that the best food is served at breakfast.  The restaurants evening buffet is a weak affair with poor selections and limited choice and we won't be visiting it again.  Neither will we make the mistake of ordering anything that that looks like western fare from room service.   Made the mistake of ordering pizza and nachos which were all but inedible.  To be fair the Nasi Goreng and chicken curry were ok,  we now assume that local cuisine is a better bet in the future even though sometimes its not what you want.  Considering that they boast Michelin starred chefs the whole of their catering seems a bit "unloved" we spent a whole 30 minutes in the soulless signature Ju-Ma-Na restaurant having been offered a complimentary set menu meal to make up for some of the shortcomings in our villa the complimentary amuse bouche came at the same time as our aperitifs and each course was in front of us as soon as the last was finished.... No time for chit chat there then.  Was the food good? Probably it was but we had no time to savor it.

It's not just that the buildings are tired, so are lots of the facilities the spa towels have seen better days, table tennis bats are ripped and unusable,  requests forgotten. It's always the little things like that you remember.

Would we return?..... Not a chance

Room Tip: From what we can tell all rooms are very similar and are only graded by location and number of bedro...
4 Thank DavenLina
Dear DavenLina,
I am extremely sorry that there occasion of disappointments during your stay here at Banyan Tree Ungasan Bali. These things should never happen in the first place. We thank you for your comments and assure you that we take such feedback very seriously. We have already addressed your comments with a view to improve in a noticeable way.

Best regards,
Singapore
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My family and I enjoyed a 4 days 3 nights getaway in Bali a week ago. Besides family vacation, the purpose of this trip was also to celebrate my dad's birthday. I selected Banyan Tree's Family Fun Package which includes in-villa BBQ dining, which I think would be a unique way of celebrating my dad's birthday.

As there are 6 of us, I booked 2 units of Sanctuary Villas. Wanted to get both with cliff edge ocean views but since only 1 was available, had to go with ocean view for one of the villas.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with their traditional welcome ceremony, which was a nice touch. The lobby, while not grand and opulent like St Regis’, has its own beauty which allows the expansive cliff-top ocean view to really shine through. I guess too much opulence and grandeur will detract from the gorgeous views.

Sanctuary villas come with 2 bedrooms, one with a king-size bed and the other with twin beds. The villas are very well-appointed and spacious. Showers come with good pressure water flow, which was always welcome after a full day of sightseeing. The bathroom amenities and toiletries were adequate. The only negative was the scent of the body lotion provided. I think it’s supposed to be a combination of sandalwood scent with something else, and some people may like it. But I find it quite awful.

The bed was very comfortable, not to hard, nor too soft. However, the pillow was too soft for my liking and I woke up with a mild neck ache, which quickly goes away after some doing some stretches. Hence, I feel it would be an added bonus if Banyan Tree could offer a pillow menu to cater to different physique.

In addition, the reading light at the bedside is not adequate. A bigger, brighter reading light would be very helpful as lighting in the bedroom is on the dim side.

My parents and brother stayed at Villa 224 (Cliff Edge Ocean View) while my sisters and I were at villa 211 (Ocean View). The view at 224 was not the best of the cliff edge villas as it faces another cliff and do not have a full on ocean view. I believe villas 222, 221 and 220 would have much better, unobstructed ocean view.

We find the daily breakfast at Bambu satisfying. It’s not a big spread but it provides everything one requires for a good breakfast. Breakfast was a combination of self-service buffet spread and ala carte buffet items which include eggs done in a few styles, bacon, ham, etc, waffles, pancakes, French toast as well as beverages like latte, espresso, teas.

Service and hospitality at Banyan Tree is top-notch. From front-desk to housekeeping, everyone was unfailingly helpful, warm and polite. We felt very well-looked after by the wonderful team at Banyan Tree.

One of the best moments of our stay is the in-villa BBQ dinner to celebrate my dad’s birthday. Ajif (not sure if I got the spelling of his name correct) was our server for the evening and we find him very gracious, efficient and attentive in his service without being intrusive. And the food! There was so much food for the 6 of us! I think the amount could easily serve 12 people! Or perhaps we just happened to be small eaters? Anyway, the food were delicious and cooked just right, with nothing overdone or burnt.

We bought a special bottle of wine from home for this occasion and Ajif even brought out suitable wine glasses to serve the wine. Halfway through dinner, our plates were changed. It felt as though we were dining in a full-service restaurant with nothing lacking. Indeed, it was one of the most relaxing and hassle-free BBQ dinners we ever had.

Desserts comprise of fresh fruits, which are definitely welcome after a meat-filled meal. Ajif also brought out the birthday cake, compliments of Banyan Tree, to celebrate the occasion.

We have enjoyed our stay at Banyan Tree Ungasan and will not hesitate to return again on our next visit to Bali.

Room Tip: If you want unobstructed ocean views, I believe villas 222, 221 would have the best views.
Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Last week-end I feel so lucky as I had a chance to stay 2 nights at the Banyan Tree, one of the famous hotel in Bali.
First surprise was during check-in, they gave us special ceremony, took picture of us. Second surprise was the size of the living room, bed room and bath room. Third surprise was the hospitality of all staff. Forth surprise was the shuttle service, really help!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 18, 2013

we, my wife and I, had a wonderful time at the Banyan Tree Ungasan Bali as our preferred destination for our recent honeymoon vacation, which made us feel rejuvenated and still reminds us of good memories again and makes me smile. we hope we'll be back there someday. ASAP If you get there, don't forget to join GIF(green imperative fund) which Saves the turtle! Vita Brevis! Carpe Diem!

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ungasan
Alila Villas Uluwatu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,211 reviews
Bulgari Resort Bali
Bulgari Resort Bali
#2 of 7 in Uluwatu

Been to Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali? Share your experiences!