“Perfect getaway, luxurious!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Ungasan
Singapore
“Perfect getaway, luxurious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 days at Banyan Tree Ungasan for our honeymoon in June 2012. We arranged our own airport transfer as those which were suggested by the resort were much more expensive. We speak Indonesian fluently so that certainly helps with surveying around for the best value.

There was a nice traditional welcoming ceremony involving flowers in the side of the ear and rice on the forehead.

We waited an hour before we were checked in as our villa was still being cleaned - we did not mind as we were still jaw-dropped with the resort, or at least what we can see and access to nearby the reception lobby. We spent that hour taking photos.

Guests generally travel by a buggy system as it is too far to walk from place to place. When I entered the villa, it was the best thing ever!!! To fully appreciate Banyan Tree Ungasan, pick the Cliff Edge Pool Villas!!! Only the pool edge villas have an unblocked view of the Indian ocean - other villas will have their views partially blocked by villas in front of them, closer to the cliff edge. The price was staggering really but I wanted an amazing honeymoon and I think it's money well spent.

Very spacious villa with a generous-sized infinity pool, a 24hr jacuzzi. 3 flat-screen LG televisions, Bose sound systems, an iPod male plug, plenty of power points for your own cables. Nice selection of minibar items, but they are a little pricey. Don't worry about getting dehydrated or spending lots of cash on quenching your thirst though, as plenty of mineral bottled water will be provided throughout the day via room service. If you finish them,just request for more, they will gladly provide you more water at no charge. You can also request for a serving of ice, which they include in a temp-sealed flask. Of course, if your palates need to be pampered with carbonated drinks etc, it will be very expensive in the resort - have your driver drive you up to one of the roadside minimarts to stock some up for your trip before you check in.

Breakfast at Bambu restaurant is amazing!!! It ends at 1130 so you can sleep for longer and even maybe go for a swim beforehand. Plenty to choose from - there is sushi, sashimi, cheeses, salads, pastries, asian rice, porridge, waffles, pancakes, fruits, honeys, cereals, etc; even sparkling white wine!

When you go for breakfast at Bambu, do bring along your camera - The view is fantastic! There is a large infinity pool with sun decks at the side.

The spa is just average at best, nothing fantastic. They did not inform me that the 'free spa' in my package was only for 1 pax as it did not state as such. I raised it up but the staff kept stating it is meant only for 1, despite me showing them the print I have which clearly states it does not include that detail. I did not want to ruin anything so I went along anyway and paid for the spa treatment for 1 pax, which in the end the staff gave me 20% off due to the incident mentioned. It was not fantastic but my wife and I had a good time.

Their room service is twice daily. The one in the evening sets your villa up nicely for a dim, romantic night for bed - with a little free gift/toy at your bed each night. They even provide you with night time bites at your guest table; I received choc-chip cookies, butter cookies and brownies for different nights, delicious!

I took the in-villa barbecue for one night. We were hungry and thought we would order ala carte but they will not be setting up any tables for dining for us, merely just deliver the food to us - This is a little different from a few other resorts we have been to and it was not in alignment with the fancier plans we were intending to have, so we decided on the barbecue. We were supposed to inform the reception a few hours in advance, only 6 villas can have it done per night at maximum, and it supposedly ends at 9.30PM. I called at a pretty last-minute moment and after checking with the staff, the reception helped me arrange for one immediately anyway - The barbecue was set way past their duty time and we felt bad for them, and considering that they, or rather primarily one guy named Gusti, set it up immediately and our dinner lasted until 11.30PM. His service was excellent throughout and there is no sign of any frustration with working past his duty time. Food was fantastic, and to have the view of your villa in the night time, the clear stars in the sky and the sound of waves - simply marvellous. The only problem is that you have to buy drinks separately from the package. We had a bottle of carbonated water that we stocked up on prior to our arrival and Gusti helped us with refilling our glasses with it with no problems.

We also had a reservation for dinner at Jumana restaurant, which is picturesque at it's best. Bring along your camera please, with a tripod! The most beautiful moment happens during sunset at about 6.30PM and your tripod will come in handy with taking self-shots and non-blurry photos. Our seat was the best in the house, it was located inside the building and through it, towards an open veranda area that faces an unblocked, slightly lighted and luminous stretch of waves of the indian ocean. Up above were twinkling stars. Food was FANTASTIC and the chef was very generous with 3 filler light foods between our appetizers, entrees and desserts. I highly recommend the Japanese Black Cod with Foie Gras - BEST food I have tasted in my entire life!

Miscellaneous...
Pros: HUGE space. Extreme privacy (where it matters at least). Plenty of toiletries, and not poor in quality either! Replenished every day. Prompt and reliable buggy service. Excellent service standards. Plenty of entertainment choices with their TV channels. Daily incense and aromatic oils so there is always that spa aroma around the villa. Tamarind restaurant has a nice pool beside it but it was not being used by anyone whenever we dropped by. The pool bar is very refreshing. The library has an abundant collection of DVDs for you to rent at no charge. The souvenir shop had many fancy items, most of which are expensive but definitely are enticing when you are in the honeymoon mood and the lady seemingly getting interested in Balinese bath soaps, shampoos, incense sticks and sarongs. Take a buggy ride down to the beach - or halfway that is, at least, especially if you do not have cliff edge villas or a dining experience ar Jumana during daytime. The view is amazing! There are virtually no mosquitoes during our visit and although it was hot and sunny, there was an abundance of wind from the coast, always breezy.

Cons: The villa was dusty in a few areas but only because I was being very observant. They did forget to replenish a few things here and there during room servicing but a quick call and they would fix it in 2 minutes. The light switches are very confusing to use and tasking to locate. The outdoor shower does not have warm water. Coffee maker and the cups provided are not made for each other, and the coffee dispensed is very little per serving. They only replenish 2 liquid creamers per service and it is a slight chore to keep requesting for more. The beach is not for swimming, and is accessible only via 120 steps of the staircase, which is quite exhausting. The private lasehan candle-light dinner right between where the buggy stops and the stairs start is advertised nicely, extremely pricey, and perhaps not the best option - Your food and requests are delivered via buggy and that may take some time, a staff will be waiting on you for your queries, it gets pretty dark; realllly dark very quickly and you might as well eat at Jumana for that kind of money spent. The resort did not confirm the availability of my specifically preferred villa number eventhough I pushed for it more than 10 times prior to arrival, but thankfully my request was fulfilled. Your villa may get visits from some creepy crawlies - Mine had a frog and praying mantis... Just call them up and get a staff to remove them if you are uncomfortable; lucky for us we were fine. Just make sure to leave the villa doors closed when you leave.

Overall, it was a dream come true for my wife and I. Leaving was pretty difficult and the place definitely left nice, lovely memories. We are intending to return sometime in the future for one of our wedding anniversaries.

THANK YOU BANYAN TREE UNGASAN!

Room Tip: Cliff Edge Ocean View Pool Villas are the best ones, get them to fully appreciate what Banyan Tree U...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

We are frequent Banyan Tree vacationers, having been to Bintan, Mayakoba, Seoul, Phuket, Bangkok, and now Bali.  The resort is beautiful - reception is welcoming and lovely and the pool area/views are gorgeous.  One bedroom villas are large, with living room, private pool/jacuzzi and outdoor seating. We were lucky enough to stay in villa 218, which boasts incredible unobstructed ocean views that are truly breath-taking.
The staff are all very friendly and do their best to accommodate your every need. We have found in Bintan, and again here, that sometimes things get lost in translation - the level of English fluency can vary widely amongst the staff and you don't always get what you request.  (For example, I needed a plug for the kitchen sink drain in order to wash my son's bottles, and two men showed up at my door with a toilet plunger...). Eventually, you work it out and are able to get things across, but it would be easier if you could count on being understood correctly the first time around.
The buggy system is not totally reliable - although this has often been the case at resorts, not just Banyan Tree. Most of the time, the buggy arrives within 5 minutes or so of being called, but there were a couple times that we were either forgotten, or perhaps it was peak time(?) where we waited 20+ minutes and had to call back and ask again or just ended up walking (which is or is not a big deal depending on where you are and where you are going and how steep the slopes are... At 6 months pregnant and traveling with an 18mo old, walking was not always a feasible option..)
Took advantage of the spa, which I thought was reasonably priced compared to Mayakoba. Treatment room was lovely and the treatment relaxing. Unfortunately, there is another developer doing work next to where the spa is located, and they are often plagued with construction noise. I was informed before my treatment (but after I had paid) that the noise might be bothersome and was offered what I assumed were ear plugs (the woman motioned putting something in your ears), but realized later was actually an iPod with ear phones. The problem with that is firstly, I was doing a pregnancy massage, so you lie on your side during treatment, and it is very uncomfortable (impossible?) to have ear phones on.  Secondly, they are not noise canceling, so I'm not sure how effective they would be. Thirdly, the cords interfere with the therapist as they are trying to do the treatment (my girl told me as much). And lastly and most importantly, it's very unhygienic!  They don't have the little black covers on them and I for one would not be putting buds in my ears worn by someone else (or several other people?).  Needless to say, I did not take advantage of the offer, and luckily the noise was faint and not bothersome to me during my treatment.  Afterwards, during my "relaxation time", however, it got much louder and would definitely have been an issue had it been at that level the whole time.  I do realize that Banyan Tree has no control over it, but I think that offering proper ear plugs would be an easy, effective, hygenic fix (and then maybe turning the music up a tiny bit in the room). Alternatively, if it is a major issue, they should offer in-villa treatments with the usual 10% markup waived, for the duration of the construction.  The only sound in my villa was of the waves washing up on the shore - what could be more relaxing?
The food overall was quite good. We did a buffet dinner with the Balinese dancers that I thoroughly enjoyed. Excellent salad bar, tasty grill options and decadent desserts. The breakfast buffet was not our favorite - the majority of the guests here are Asian, and as such, half of the breakfast buffet consists of sushi, dim sum, noodles, salad, congee, and the like - which is totally understandable - however, not to our taste, and we therefore felt somewhat limited in selection.  Every day we had option of a muffin, a donut, and some fruit, and then we could order eggs or waffles/pancakes - an ample meal, to be sure - but lacking in variety after several days of the same.  Hot selections at the buffet were curry/rice dishes, which were quite tasty and we ended up having a few times.
In villa dining was wonderful. They come and set up a whole spread with linen, etc on your table and you can eat at any time of day/night in the privacy of your room. This was important to us as our toddler often could not wait until 6:30 when the restaurants opened. The portions seemed small, but overall tasty food. The one exception was the burger - absolutely awful!  The kids menu is quite good, offering a chicken and rice dish which was healthier than what you typically see and delicious. Our boy loved it!
We were surprised and happy to see a kids club offered. The staff didn't show up the first couple days until they realized there was a toddler guest at the resort, and then they were there, ready and waiting every morning for our son. They were attentive and wonderful with him and I very much appreciated having a little break every morning from entertaining him!  Because he is still too young, I had to stay in the vicinity. This was not a big deal at all - I was right outside the room by the pool, so if he needed me, I was there. But I still had the impression of being "on vacation" and able to relax for a while.
The nice part about the resort is that most guests stay in their villas most of the time, so when you walk around, you feel you have the place to yourself, even at full occupancy - which was the case during our stay.
My favorite little touch was the tea time offered every evening with a snack. A special treat to unwind at the end of the day with a cup of tea after baby is in bed.
One of the most amazing and curious parts of our vacation was the complete lack of mosquitos!  I am normally plagued with bites and tend to dread tropical trips for that reason. I NEVER dine al fresco in the evenings and try to avoid going out after dusk. My husband had also been concerned about dengue, with the pregnancy and our little one - but in the whole week, we did not encounter a single solitary mosquito!!  What an absolute pleasure to go for walks in the evening with no bug trouble!  (We did unfortunately have a bit of a roach encounter in our villa, but the pest control guys came and took care of it...)
My final comment is about the pools - while the main pool and our in-villa pool were gorgeous, they are not heated and were way too cold to actually swim in!  Kind of defeats the purpose!  The day temperatures were warm, but it is quite windy, so you actually freeze if you dare to try to swim.  Luckily the hot tub was warmer, and not too hot for me and the baby, but it is quite a shame to have these stunning pools and not be able to use them.  We were there in June - I would have thought the warmest time of year?  The pools in Mexico are heated (in the villas), and even though it was chilly weather on our last visit there in winter, the pool was like bath water - amazing!
While I did enjoy my time, I don't know that we would come rushing back. Our repeats have been Mayakoba and Bintan - I think we will stick with those and perhaps try China next..

Room Tip: Villa 218 if you can get it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nessjoy4
, General Manager at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear nessjoy4,

Thank you for the very detailed comments regarding your stay here at Banyan Tree Ungasan Bali. It is very much appreciated. I have personally noted the shortfalls you mentioned and have already started to action on them with a definitive view towards improvements. We apologioze for the less than perfect stay and thank you once again for the constructive comments. We are also very glad to read the many positive aspects mentioned.

With best regards,
Jamal Hussain
Senior Assistant Vice President.
london uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed at the Banyan Tree Ungasan Bali May 28/31
When I arrived was met at the reception for a greeting ceremony that was a surprise
The villa was lovely and huge with a nice swimming pool and Jacuzzi and a bale
I went to all of the restaurants, which were all fine and to were the staff to which I found all the staff friendly and chatty
To navigate the resort by foot I found a bit tricky, as things were not well signed and quite steep in places one can get the buggy service I preferred to walk
There is a lovely beach and the best time is a low tide one can access the beach by a small paved road and then some steps. At the bottom there are some sun beds rest room and hotel staff that offers water.
Basically I found it a nice resort to stay with lovely villas

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Me and partner wanted to try and experience the Banyan Tree in Bali, and from the moment we arrived great attention was given to us making us feel really relaxed and welcomed to Bali. When we arrived at the Resort, they did a special welcome ceremony which blew us away, I have never experienced that before. We immediately felt the Balinese culture welcoming, something that you will never experience anywhere in the world.

The villa was huge and amazing, with your own private pool and Jacuzzi, and the amenities and facilities was really comfortable, not to mentioned the bathroom was massive with a bath tub for two people, indoors and out door tropical shows. Even though they provided all the mosquito repellents, we couldn’t notice they were around. The cleanliness of the villa housekeeping was on the ball, compare to what we have seen in other resorts. The buggy service was super fast and didn’t have to wait very long, being built on a mountain face and given the terrain, they were super quick, and always addressed us by our names, which was one of things we couldn’t believe how all the staff knew our names, especially to those who have not made contact with us.

We had breakfast at the Bambu Restaurant, and what a lovely setting overlooking the sea and main pool. The food selection was huge and perfect for those with small or big appetites. They had staff even bring or ordering food for you, even though it was a buffet, they just wanted to make every one comfortable and happy while having breakfast. They have great coffee and they even offer you a selection of different coffee choices without additional charge, and I have to say they make really nice coffee’s, instead of the usual brewed coffee.

The facilities like Spa, gym, kids and activities was perfect, especially the Spa, wow, you should try there Spa treatments, the room was like our villa, all self contained with showers, toilets, lounge and the service from the Spa ladies was very detailed and touching and something we will never forget.

Honestly speaking, we couldn’t find anything that made us unhappy, everywhere we went around the resort, including the landscape was immaculate and never seen such great service and happiness in the face of the staff, and when we asked the staff why they were all so happy, they said there GM is a great leader and made them all feel happy to work and provide top service to their guest. We can’t even point out which staff was better, as they were all amazing, cheerful, very helpful, very polite and ready to assist with any needs we had. Just to give you an example, one of the nights my partner had a very bad headache, and we no paracetamol, so we called the guest services at 5am in the morning and they went out of their way to find me medicine to help my partner, given the time and distance to the pharmacy, thank you for that!

All we can say, if you come to Bali and you want to experience one of the best hospitality services and local touches, Banyan Tree Ungasan Bali is one place you will never be disappointed, well done to the team and the General Manager in leading such a great team.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Fantastic stay with 5-Star Rating - A true Gem of a guest experience in Bali. Staff attended to my needs promptly and with no hesitation. Even upon my arrival at 11pm amidst the busy airport crowd and traffic, the drive was smooth and seamless. Customer service at the reservation desk, concierge, buggy and even at the restaurant was excellent. Top notch quality of service and standard. Banyan Tree Ungasan is definitely a Must Stay in Bali.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I had wonderful holiday , it was very relaxing. The staff were
All very friendly and thoughtful and the room was perfect . The food was excellent , especially in Jumana with the breathtaking view of the cliff . I have been to
Some banyan tree hotels like Maldives , Bintan and Rhinga, and they have all been very worth it trips. Banyan tree ungasan is definitely worthy to visit for a holiday as I really enjoyed myself during my stay there with great hospitality , great food and the best spa treatment I have received.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

This hotel is amazing.. everything was perfect. The villas are superb, well designed with pool and jacuzzi. The service was perfect. People are so nice. In room service realy good about 15 minutes after you order. Restaurants are great. The breakfast = huge buffet so good...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pierre C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ungasan
Alila Villas Uluwatu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,167 reviews
Bulgari Resort Bali
Bulgari Resort Bali
#2 of 7 in Uluwatu

Been to Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali? Share your experiences!