“Amazing Views, Amazing Feeling & Amazing Honeymoon”

Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Ungasan
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I and my fiance stayed at Banyan Tree Ungasan on May 2nd. We lived at Room218 which is the best room in the resorts and just next to Ju Ma Na restaurant.
The room is gorgeous. We can see the Indian Ocean directly from my bedroom. The swimming pool in our villa is enough large for me to swim so that I didn't to come to the main pool to swim. In addition, I really enjoy the BASE in our villa.
For service, I think all of their staffs are very polite and helpful. I know the smiles on their faces are from their hearts.
The views of the whole resorts are also fantastic. Their private beach is really secret. I just saw only a few people on this beach. My fiance played so happily on the beach like a child.
In a word, I would like to recommend this resorts to all of my friend. I love Banyan Tree!

Room Tip: Book Room218,219,220etc.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 10, 2011

Location:
It is situated at the very southern part of Bali. Taking a cab from Airport is rather easy and inexpensive of Rp135k.

Room & amenities:
I booked their cliff edge ocean view pool villa. The room is huge!! The built in is around 300 sqm plus 100 sqm of outside area. The room interior looks great! The whole concept is like staying at home. It has a big living room, a dinning area, a bedroom, a huge bathroom, a bale, a swimming pool and a jacuzzi. Cliff edge ocean view is simply has a breathtaking Indian ocean view. There is no blockage at all and it is exactly like what you see in the hotel website! You get to see the beautiful waves come crashing on the beach. Even at night time, you still manage to see some nice views and beautiful sounds of waves. There is an infinity pool and it is a rather good size where you really can swim in it. The jacuzzi is good. It is a bit lack in privacy though where the location of my bale and jacuzzi can be seen by people next door. The wall partition I feel should be erected a bit further to prevent such thing. There are also some tiny gaps in the garden wall roof that might enable people to see into the house from outside. They should use cement instead of just wooden planks for garden roof. The bed is extremely comfortable and a good size. The pillow long and comfortable. There is a large LCD TV in the bedroom and in the living room. Also a place to connect your ipod. There are fresh fruits in the room. Complimentary mineral water are plenty. However, there is no complimentary English newspaper provided. Good thing is that there is complimentary internet in the room. It is rather fast and easy to connect. The room has also tonnes of wardrobe for you to hang your clothes. There is also a coffee maker for brewing your own coffee or getting hot water. They also provide ice cubes for you.

Bathroom & amenities:
The bathroom is really big!. Amenities are nicely packed in a nice little bags. The towel is really huge. The rain forest shower is very generous and the bathtub looks huge. There are two basins for you and partner to brush your teeth together. There is also a TV in the bathroom for you to watch programmes while soaking in the bathtub. Bathing toiletries are put in the dispensers.

Service:
Before I enter the hotel compound, our cab is stop by hotel security. They inspect car boot and also having a dog to sniff out items. I like it cos this makes my stay safe. . When I arrived at the hotel entrance, there is a staff that came up to me to help with my luggage. Also he performed a welcome ceremony. Then we were usher to the lobby which is huge again for check in. The check in is easy and fast as the staff settle everything for us while I sit at the lobby relaxing. They also speak good English. I was also offer a welcome drink, cake and a cold towel to refresh myself. As the place is quite big, I have to take a buggy to my villa. The staff that drive us also very helpful in showing us the room. The staffs on the whole are friendly and helpful. This hotel provides turn down service which I like. You can call a buggy easily whenever you need to travel from point to point in the hotel. Calling a meter taxi is also easy.

Facilities:
They have shops and restaurants. I have used them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food are quite nice. However, the Jumana restaurant is close for a function when I want to have dinner there. The other two restaurants are nice and not very crowded. The swimming pool at the Bambu restaurant is very nice. It is a infinity pool and also looks over the Indian ocean. You can access their beach area which is a pretty long buggy ride and a couple flights of stairs. It is very nice. There is also spa and a fitness center at the main lobby.

Surrounding:
This hotel is extremely quiet and huge. Not many people which I like. Right outside the hotel, there is nothing. The nearest area for shops and food I think is about 15 mins taxi ride.

This hotel really gives me an exclusive feel which is very upclass with a quiet surrounding. Overall, I have nothing but very positive feel about this hotel. However, I would only strongly recommend this hotel if you only wish to laze around in the hotel as places of interests and shopping are all pretty far away.

Room Tip: Book early.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Firstly the good.
The villas are as advertised: large, very nice inside and out, lovely private pool. Staff (as in most Bali hotels) always smiling and friendly. The main pool is beautiful. There is free WiFi.
The not so good.
Have several "issues" with this resort mainly regarding the restaurants/quality of the food.
We chose to dine in the "fine dining" Ju-Ma-Na restaurant on our second night only to be told when entering the restaurant from the cocktail bar that since we were wearing short trousers we would not be admitted... only after we started to walk away were we told ok we could dine after all. Why on earth they are trying to impose a ludicrous dress code in Bali is beyond me. We were smartly dressed wearing dress shorts/collared shirts/proper shoes. When we entered the restaurant there were diners wearing jeans/T-shirts but that was ok obviously. The whole incident was embarrassing. The ironic thing is despite employing dress codes, charging "Michelin" prices the food failed miserably to live up to this. Undercooked risotto/overcooked duck... half the meal was inedible.
Several of the lunches we had delivered to the villa were cold when they arrived as were a couple of main courses in Bambu. The food just isn't up to the standard (for the prices) you would expect from a Banyan Tree. Its all a bit average. We had much better meals outside the hotel... eg The St Regis in Nusa/Sarong in Seminyak.
The grounds are in need of attention already. There is loose/uneven paving all over the place, looks a bit "tired".
The resort itself is very isolated ( this may be an attraction for some) but be aware that it takes about an hour to get to Seminyak/30 mins to Nusa by taxi.
Check your account on leaving.. we were charged for a lunch we didn't have.
This may sound like sour grapes ( and to be fair we were not charged for a couple of the dishes we complained about ) but it reflects our experience at the Banyan Tree. There is a lot that needs improving.
I'm afraid I won't be recommending staying here to my friends and remember to pack your trousers!

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank freodoc
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2011

Dear freodoc,

Thank you for the valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at Banyan Tree Ungasan.

Firstly, I would like to extend my unreserved apologies for the disappointment you have experienced during your stay with us.

Ju-Ma-Na restaurant is our fine dining restaurant where a smart casual dress code is applied. We would like to apologize if you were not informed in advance about this. The dress code policy is currently being reviewed and long trousers will not apply again in the future.

It is indeed disheartening to learn that our products were not up to your expectations especially on the food quality of our In Villa Dining and Ju-Ma-Na restaurant. This has been raised to our Executive Chef for his him to look into ways for improvement in order to prevent such incidents from occurring again

We also have an ongoing paving maintenance project which deals with the structural issues of the resort.

Thank you for your gracious comments on our associate and the Pool villa. I am delighted that you found the rest of our services and amenities to your expectations

Your patronage is greatly valued and appreciated. We hope that we are given the opportunity of reinstating ourselves in your good faith by welcoming you back to our lovely resort in the not too distant future

Best regards,

Reinhold Johann

Reviewed April 10, 2011

AMAZING...from the moment we arrived to the moment we left the service, room, food, cocktails everything was perfect. We are definatley coming back for our one year anniversary and then every year after that hopefully :)

We stayed in room 124 Sea Veiw Pool Villa. We had a lovely view we could see the ocean and some rooftops but they have designed the place so that no one can look into any other villa at all no matter where you are standing. So its very private :)

The Bambu restaurant is a great way to start the day with a bit of room service for lunch then a nice meal in Ju-ma-Na to top it off :)

We fully recommend. The day spa is a little overpriced and we thought we had a honeymoon massage included but we didnt so for a 2hour treatment it cost around $120 per personAUD. We did have a romantic intimate moment included in our stay which was nice to come back to after the Balanese dancing night buffet.

If you want a perfect honeymoon book it now :) You will love it :) Oh and the Beds are so comfy. The only other thing we would recomend is that a dvd player is put in the bedroom not the lounge as most people want to watch dvd when they are going to bed all comfy so we swapped the dvd player from lounge into bedroom just had to call help to do so.

regards

Melissa and James Thew

Room Tip: Book 124 it was great :)
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We came here for our honeymoon and were absolutely loved our time there. Our room was beautiful and the view absolutely spectacular! The staff went out of their way to ensure that we were comfortable and always had a smile on their face - from the reception staff, to the spa, to the restaurants, buggy drivers, gardeners and construction workers. We tried the day spa and every restaurant in the resort including the in-villa bbq and weren't disappointed.
The staff apologised several times for the noise as they were still working on additional villas in the resort however we never heard a thing! The resort was so tranquil and it was extremely relaxing stay.
Overall an experience that exceeded all (already high) expectations of the resort and we're looking forward to going back again in future as well as trying other Banyan Tree Resorts.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and stay at the Ocean Villas
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank butterflylace
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Refers to previous reviews, I guess I don't have to emphasize how beautiful the resort and the view are once again. The staffs are wonderful. From housekeeping, buggy drivers, receptions, to managers, everyone always smiled at us and never avoided eye contacts. They were always willing to serve us anywhere and anytime.

I tried both Ju-ma-na restaurant and in-villa BBQ. The foods were fabulous and with gorgeous dining atmosphere, I would definitely recommend it. The Banyan Tree Spa was the best amount 3 spas i had during this trip. (Prana spa, Lembah spa) Every detail was perfectly handled through the treatment.

Overall I think Banyan tree is definitely one of the best resorts in Bali.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2011

i am currently staying in villa 314, service is perfect, villa beautiful, views wow...

• Stayed: March 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ungasan
The St. Regis Bali Resort
#2 of 11 in Ungasan
Bulgari Resort Bali
Bulgari Resort Bali
#2 of 10 in Uluwatu

Been to Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali? Share your experiences!