“Uluwatu Surf VIlla IV- Not worth the money!”

Balivillas.com Estate
Ranked #21 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Ungasan
Tokyo
“Uluwatu Surf VIlla IV- Not worth the money!”
Reviewed September 11, 2007

The Uluwatu Surf Villa is located in Uluwatu, Bali. First of all, I would like to say that all 5 staff members were great and did a wonderful job. If you rent the villa, it comes with a butler, cook, two maids or house boys and a driver for 10 hours per day. They really went out of their way to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. The food that the cook made for us was wonderful. We chose different dishes everyday depending on our mood. I got used to having someone else cook and miss this service the most. The ocean view is beautiful. Stunning. Unfortunately, the villa itself was not worth even half of what we paid. It looked old and run-down. The description on their website says the the kitchen is modern. The only thought I had after seeing the kitchen was "by what standard"? The kitchen was by no means "modern". All the the appliances were old and falling apart. (literally). Almost all of the bedspreads and curtains had major stains on them. The cleanliness of the master bed was in question as my husband and I both got scabies from it. I had to move into my daughters room to sleep the last two nights because I itched so bad. The villa was also loaded with ants. There were a trail of ants behind the master bedrooms toilet, in the kitchen and also in the refrigerator! .....I would also like to add that as soon as I made the booking through their website, the only replies I got to my questions was a single sentence line at the very best. Not very helpful or informative. When I got home from my trip, I emailed balivillas.com and voiced my experience to them. I have not received a reply as of yet. It has been 2 weeks and I don't expect a reply to tell you the truth. Avoidance seems to be the solution of choice with balivillas.

To sum it all up, I would have to say that the villa is terrible and the staff was great. But it is not worth the money you will pay. You can rent a much better villa for much less and hire your own driver ect....A driver only costs US $30 per day including car & gas. Or try renting one of the other 4 villas located in the same complex (above) available for 1/3 the price! I have travelled all around the world and have stayed at private villas as well as 5 star hotels with beautiful ocean views. They are charging Tahiti/Hawaii prices in Bali....I just don't get it.

• Liked — The view and the staff
  • Disliked — everything else- especially the ants colonies and the kitchen
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank funtravelster
BaliJo, Management Company at Balivillas.com Estate, responded to this review, September 28, 2007
Dear Funtravelster,

we are very sorry that you and your family did not enjoy your stay with us. FYI, we received your complain after your return home and we DID reply to your e-mail address at that time.

We do agree that this villa is rather old and we are trying to convince the owner to agree to a number of renovations and improvements.

The rate of US$390 per night for a 3-bedroom villa with stunning view (as you mention yourself) and service provided by a personal butler, experienced cook, two maids or house boys and an air-conditioned car with driver for up to 10 hours per day is quite reasonable for Bali. However, because of your stay in August we had to charge you the 25% High Season surcharge.

You also mention the staff went out of their way to make your stay enjoyable, and that the food prepared by the cook was wonderful. Balivillas takes staff training and service very seriously, and we hope you'll return and stay with us again.

Therefore, we believe that even with improvements to the building to be done, the our rate of US$390 (+ High Seasons surcharge) for this 3-bedroom villa with more personal service and certainly better views than Bali's top resorts compares favorably with those resorts' rates of US$650 to US$900 +21% per night for ONE-bedroom villas.

Best regards from Bali.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed August 27, 2007

This was one of my best holidays ever! Bali is an enchanting beautiful island, with plenty to see and do. Bali Villas is a professional, well-run company who give excellent value for money and the small touches like a glass of bubbly and a rose filled bath were very much appreciated after a gruelling flight!!.

The water spa villas are of a high standard, clean, impeccably run with all comforts. The staff were exceptional and fade into the background when not required. The fact that the staff performed all required duties such as laundry, cooking and cleaning meant that the entire week was free for sightseeing and sunning. Other holidays have involved too much of the above, so this was liberating. Our driver spoke good English and taught us about everyday life in Bali, the religion and customs, which we enjoyed. He showed us quiet beaches away from the crowds, temples and markets and a Balinese house.

We had gone to relax, so the two hours of complementary therapy was perfect for us. The standard here was very high and we tried massages, facials, pedicures the lot!! We highly recommend it and would return!.

• Liked — peaceful, well run, luxurious
  • Disliked — pool rather cold!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Claire075
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We stay, (6) one week in Villa Cempaka and all was great, the house, the food, the team all services and all details. We will come back.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed August 10, 2007

We stayed in the Impian Pool Suite in the same party as thegabbs. The accommodation was excellent and the staff were second to none. Nothing was ever too much trouble. We would have no hesitation in staying here again. As we were attending the wedding in the Impian Villa, we used the villa pool every day. My only criticism would be that there were insufficient sun beds

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Lack of sun beds in main Villa
  • Stayed August 2007
2 Thank TheGalimoreFamily
sheffield
Reviewed August 7, 2007

What a wonderful time we had, spent a week in impian spa suite, along with friends in the other villas as we were there for a wedding! staff are wonderful, would stay again!!!

• Liked — relaxing
  • Disliked — wiring!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank thegabbs
hk
Reviewed July 24, 2007

we stay @ villa dewata 1 in seminyac
great wellcome @ airport .
super food @ villa .
villa was perfect .
driver was outstanding ! thank you kadec !
rudy

Stayed November 2006
2 Thank rudyp
Singapore
Reviewed July 8, 2007

We just returned from Bali and kids are already asking when we can come back! We spent a week in Water Spa Villa (3 bedroom) and everyone loved it. Ambience of the villa, outdoor living, pool and of course villa staff made our stay very special. Having 3 kids of different ages (15, 10 and 5 years old) makes it difficult to stay at the hotels and just generally going on a family vacation, because everyone wants to do their own thing. Staying in the villa and having a driver 10 hours a day as well as having your own cook made it so much easier! Kids were happy and me and my husband loved outdoor bathtub and showers. Complimentary massage every day made sure we are totally "stress-free"! Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank JuliaSingapore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ungasan
CK Villas Bali
Karma Kandara
Karma Kandara
#2 of 11 in Ungasan
Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali

Been to Balivillas.com Estate? Share your experiences!