$136
Mahagiri Villas Dreamland(Ungasan)(Great Value!)
$333
The Beverly Hills Bali(Ungasan)(Great Value!)
$127
$103
$43
Karma Kandara(Ungasan)
$405
Hotels.com
Asri Jewel Villas & Spa(Ungasan)(Great Value!)
$215
CK Villas Bali(Ungasan)(Great Value!)
$284
Agoda.com
$147
Hotwire.com
$702
$633
Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali(Ungasan)
$658
All reviewsbig bathtubkids poolnice villamain poolbesarfurniturelandscapeocean
Reviewed January 24, 2014

If you are looking for a pleasant, relaxing vacation, DO NOT stay at Sekar Nusa Villas. (If you are considering booking this hotel, please read the entire review first!) I will start with the positive aspects. My wife and I came to Nusa Dua for two days at the end of our trip to have a relaxing time by the beach/pool after some sightseeing in Ubud. The hotel is not close to the beach (you have to take a shuttle), but we knew this in advance. Sekar Nusa Villas was a beautiful hotel, but not as nice as it looks on the website. The pathways between rooms had trees with tropical flowers. We stayed in a bungalow with a private jacuzzi. It was more of a mini-pool than a jacuzzi and was not heated, but that was okay. The room itself was very large, and there was both a bathtub (with a few cracks) and a rain shower.

There were two pools on different levels, but only the upper one looked to be maintained. There were no towels at the pool, and when we asked, it took about 20 minutes for someone to bring some. They only brought a few, and this process was repeated when other guests came to the pool. This happened two days in a row. The lower pool had a bar/pizzeria which was never open. The bar was not even stocked. There were no chairs arranged around the lower pool, which was larger and looked nicer than the upper one. When they made up our room, they took both of our bath towels and left only hand towels. I had to call housekeeping to have new bath towels delivered. This took about 30 minutes.

The rate was very expensive (a little over $100 USD a night) for the quality of service. My impression was that the hotel had recently changed owners, and the new management cared far more about making money than they did about making the guests happy. If we never had to speak to any of the staff members about anything, it would have been a very pleasant stay. The service generally ranged from poor to incompetent for reasons that will be detailed below. From check-in to check-out, communication with the staff resulted in one bad experience after another. I realize that the Balinese are very laid back, but I found that the staff had little to no training in hospitality, and this was more of an issue than their laid back demeanor.

While breakfast was included, the description we received at check-in indicated that there was a choice of a Continental breakfast, American breakfast, or Indonesian breakfast. When we arrived, there was only a small, unappetizing buffet with toast, fruit, bacon, sausages, fried noodles, fried vegetables, spring rolls, and an omelet station. When I asked for an omelet, the “chef” tried to give me a cold one that had been sitting there for who knows how long. I had to ask him to make me a fresh one. In addition, the fruit at the buffet was horrible. While there is such delicious, fresh tropical fruit to be found all over Bali, there was only watermelon and honeydew at breakfast. Not only that, but it was the part right next to the rind, which tasted bitter. I don’t know what they did with the good part of the fruit, but they certainly didn’t serve it to the guests!

When we arrived, we learned that, because we were staying on New Year’s Eve, there was a “compulsory dinner” at an additional $40 (US) per person. (After tax, tip (which was added on), and two beers (alcohol was not included), the total came to over $100 USD for two people.) For Bali, this is extremely expensive and after the actual experience, it could only be termed criminal. When we arrived at the dinner, we couldn’t get anyone’s attention. After being ignored for 10 minutes while tables around us were served, we started saying, “Excuse me,” and waving our arms. We were still ignored. I walked up to the servers’ station and was told to wait. When we were finally served, we learned that the exorbitant price did not even include alcohol! The portions were small, not very tasty, and the main course arrived cold. There was live music (a local guy and his son playing American cover songs), and this was the definite highlight of by far the most expensive and disappointing night in Bali.

Some of the other issues we had: shortly after arriving, I asked if there was a place where I could print our boarding passes. (The hotel has a business center, but no printer.) They said I could email the file to the front desk, and they would print it out for me. However, it took about 30 minutes of standing at the desk (while witnessing other guests’ problems, which I will not write about since they were similar to my own) before three people could figure out how to use the printer. The hotel offers a free transfer to the airport. I arranged the time for the shuttle shortly after checking in. When I went to confirm the night before we were leaving, they didn’t know anything about my request. I re-arranged the transfer. I went back to re-confirm a few hours later, and still they knew nothing about it. This third time, however, a staff member I had not seen before made a telephone call and told me that the driver would be there at the time I requested.

When I went to check out, they told me the credit card machine was broken. (I had seen this happen to a previous guest, who paid in cash.) I did not have enough cash and informed the staff that I could only pay with a credit card. They swiped the card numerous times (making me afraid of multiple fraudulent charges). After trying many times and asking me to pay in cash again and again, they then said they would make a photocopy of my card so they could charge it later! I became irate at this point and said they would do no such thing. The manager came and explained that I should go back to my room to wait while they prepared a bill authorizing the correct amount to be charged from my card. Miraculously, they called 10 minutes later and said that the credit card machine was fixed.

We only spent one full day (two nights) at the hotel, having arrived late in the afternoon on the first day and leaving on an early morning flight. With all of the problems and lack of competent service, I implore you not to subject yourself to the same miserable experience that we had.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank wrldtrvl18
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I don't normally bother with reviews but I wish I had of read these before I stayed. We checked in on New Years Eve late in the evening to find that the first room hadn't even been cleaned... the bed was still unmade from the night before. They changed the room and gave us a room at the front of the resort where we couldn't close the doors properly which meant our room had a lot of mosquitos bothering us in the evening. Phone in the room didn't work... I can survive with a cold shower, our villa had no hot water. Breakfast was average and the limited menu had many options unavailable when it came to place an order, including no Sprite for the kids when they needed something other than water... We caught a taxi to Kuta and family staying with us waited 2 hours for another taxi with no one mentioning that all the taxi's were booked out. The staff were nice enough but the language barrier was an issue. Our biggest concern is that my 7 year old daughter and husband were electrocuted in the pool. We received an apology at checkout from the Manager but I still walked away feeling that this issue wasn't taken seriously nor was it going to be addressed properly. We had to suggest you turn all power off leading into the pool!! I hope you have sorted this issue out for the safety of any future guests staying at this resort! Luckily we didn't pay a huge amount of money for this accommodation... unlike some of the other guests we spoke too that were staying there around the same time as us. They too couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BaliTravel2014
Dodi P, Manajer at Sekar Nusa Villas, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Balitravel2014,

We truly appreciate your feedback and I apologize for the challenges you faced while you were with us.

The comments that you personally shared during your stay have been communicated with the entire team and a number of actions have also been immediately taken as a direct response to your concerns.

As we continue with our commitment, we are happy to share that issue has been completely in accordingly.

We believe that people are the heart of our villa and as we approach our value customer, we strive to not only provide comfortable accommodation, but also quality and friendly service that ultimately contributes to a memorable holiday.

I do hope that you will consider returning in the future to see the positive changes that have taken place and experience Sekar Nusa VIlla Nusa Dua’s true service potential.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Terrible from the get-go.
Two bedroom villas are all along the street, so the noise from trucks and motorcycles can not be avoided.
We arrived in the evening, so could not properly view the rest of the villa grounds.
It was however noisy enough that we had to purchase earplugs at a pharmacy in town.
First night the shower head did not work, mould was creeping from the walls and the in-room fragrance reeked of chemicals. Only good point was a comfortable bed, albeit surrounded by a mosquito net which was unfortunately, necessary. Further the bed sidelight was so dim, that even taking the light shade off of the lamp, did not allow us to read in bed. One disappointment after another.
After a replacement room was not available, the next day we investigated the property and found the private pool to have moss and fungus across one third of all the rocks.
It ended up pouring ran for two days and the roof between the bedroom and living room (outdoor) flowed like a waterfall into the villa. The villa common bathroom was leaking from the light which gave us some safety concerns, but what really through us was that bedroom wall which was mouldy the day earlier, actually leaked water into the bedroom and caused me to slip on the marble floor.
Finally, whilst sitting on the uncomfortable couch the next afternoon, I spotted both ants and spiders. Not uncommon in Bali, what did throw me off however, was finding some sort of insect nest of some sort embedded behind the cushion.

Room Tip: stay away from the two bedroom villas. they all face a busy highway which is noisy and impacts your sleep.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Raider V
Reviewed January 7, 2014

How apt upon reading. I went out for a tour at 7am to be asked at reception if I had had breakfast. I asked what time breakfast started and was told 7.30am hmmmmm Manuel The exchange rate is around 10400 to the dollar everywhere but there it is 7800 not surprising I didn't change my money there. I saw plates from left over room service in the gardens around the hotel grounds outside rooms for days on end and even placed a tray full on the path after getting tired of seeing it every time I walked to my room. At least the animals and rodents are kept fed I guess. An empty Bingang bottle stayed between the 2 doors leading to the pool from the lobby for 4 days before being removed with staff constantly walking past ignoring it. The Spa that is on the website is a run down empty building that isn't useable, the pizzaria doesn't operate, the library has no books, but I'm sure you get the picture. A cab driver asked me why? when I asked to be taken there after eating out and I had to ask myself the same question so checked out next morning. My advice to any one who sees the wonderful website that must have been built with the hotel is DON'T BELIEVE ANY OF IT AS ITS ALL LIES. This is a struggling run down 2 star hotel and I'm being generous.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Batman181
Dodi P, Manajer at Sekar Nusa Villas, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Mr/s. Batman181

I would like to thank you for your review which naturally is very disappointing and we take very seriously. I will have a complete review of all your points raised with our team to ensure further improvement.

Over the past one year or so, we have been upgrading and renovating certain aspects of our villa’s and whilst these are not all completed, we do expect this to be done before the end of the year which includes the surfaces in the bathrooms and pool in all villa’s is shortly to be installed.

I am also disappointed to hear that you found our service of poor quality as we take our quality of service very seriously and generally find that our staff are recognized by guests as being most helpful and willing to please. I will certainly address the points you have raised with our entire team to see where we have failed on this occasion.

If I may also refer to the subject of the currency exchange rate mentioned in your review which is indeed regrettable. As a matter of course, we do our utmost to updating day by day related exchange rate.

I have looked into this and it appears there was a misunderstanding. I am aware that you had requested. It certainly does not mean that we give priority to other guests and we try to be as fair and accommodating as is possible to all our guests.

I am not sure if you are aware that our SPA is under renovated and will be complete in early of 2014 and also with our product Pizzeria Bar to make more enjoyable and provide services during your stay with us. I sincerely apologise as it appears this was not adequately communicated to you. In any event, I would like to apologise for any confusion that may have been caused and any inconvenience as a result.

As mentioned, we take you feedback very seriously and will take appropriate steps to ensure that improvement is shown.

Kinde of Kindnest Regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2014

First impressions can be very misleading and certainly were in the case of this hotel. Wonderful photos and descriptions on the Booking.com website, coupled with a very attractive reception area had us feeling confident that we had made a good choice in booking this hotel for our honeymoon. How wrong we were.
Our booking confirmation clearly stated that we were booked into a private villa with wonderful ocean views. When we told the receptionist that we were looking forward to the lovely view, she said that yes it was a lovely view.......from the restaurant. We showed her our confirmation and she said there were no rooms with ocean views but that she would call the manager for us. He arrived and also told us that there were no ocean views since the Mulia resort across the road opened. When we showed him the booking he said he would get in touch with booking.com and update the description. Not much help to us but we decided to soldier on.
After taking over an hour to be served a light lunch and a couple of beers in the restaurant we were finally shown to our private " garden view" villa. In its day this place must have been something, but those days have long passed. A very large but tired room. Separate bathroom with sunken bath and a beautiful outside private pool gave us a taste of what might have been. However what now was included threadbare, dingy bath-towels with holes in them, stained coffee cups ( no teaspoons) dirty room service trays in the gardens outside, non existent room service, mini bar or any other of the facilities listed in the compendium. Ironically, the bed and sheets and pillows were beautiful quality which was a welcome surprise.
The main pool and gardens were beautiful however it was like a ghost town with guests seeming to check out as quickly as they checked in. Breakfast was appalling on most mornings although we did strike a fresh set up one morning.
We decided to leave early and were politely told that as we had booked on Booking.com they had to charge us the whole fee regardless. When I pointed out that through Booking.com we had been promised an ocean view they decided to waive the extra day.
Overall, a tired, run down resort with poorly trained ( though friendly) staff. This place needs a serious injection of time and money to bring it up to even 3 star level. Interestingly, our taxi driver as we were leaving told us that the hotel had only reopened in the last 6 months after a 3year closure. Perhaps their website and details on Booking.com need to be updated to reflect the current state.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicole M

Dear Nicole,

Over the past one year or so, we have been upgrading and renovating certain aspects of our villa’s and whilst these are not all completed, we do expect this to be done before the end of the year which includes the surfaces in the bathrooms and pool in all villa’s is shortly to be installed, im aware that taxi driver provide you with confusion information related our villa.

I am also disappointed to hear that you found our less information as we take our quality of service very seriously and generally find that our staff are recognized by guests as being most helpful and willing to please. I will certainly address the points you have raised with our entire team to see where we have failed on this occasion.

If I may also refer to the subject of the information related our type of Villa features, I have looked into this and it appears there was a misunderstanding related details information through booking information, in another we have been communicated directly to agent to provide and change clearly details information in regard our feautures.

For your acknowledge our SPA is under renovated and will be complete in early of 2014 and also with our product Pizzeria Bar to make more enjoyable and provide services during your stay with us.

Kind of Kindnest Regrads,