“Killing beach view”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Ungasan
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Killing beach view”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed in one of the villa between 3rd Aug till 5th Aug with bunch of friends, although is quite a journey from the airport, but its all worth it. I enjoyed having my breakfast every morning at Di Mare restaurant overlooking the magnificient beach, and the staffs were very friendly.

The only down part was the buggy service, we called for buggy several times and they kept saying "on the way" but we waited for more than 15minutes. In the end, we walked to the lobby and we saw the buggy at the reception centre and they look like they were not aware of the request. Not sure how the miscommunication happen.

Overall, it was a great stay (despite the monkeys were fighting on the rooftop on wee hours) and i will come back for the view.

1 Thank Pohling
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Pohling

Thank you for the comments that you have posted and I trust that our local resident macaques were not too mischievous for you! As part of our ongoing improvements we are looking to extend our buggy fleet in order to avoid any delays that you may have experienced but I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Karma Kandara and look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

Rochelle Kilgariff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed in one of Karma's fantastic villas for a week - the infinity pool was private & wonderful to dip into after a day of being pampered at Karma Beach Club.
The staff here are lovely & can't do enough to help; as an example, my husband had an unusual cocktail in a hotel in Singapore - he couldn't remember exactly what was in it, so the bar staff phoned the hotel in Singapore & asked for the recipe! How amazing is that for service?!
The food in both restaurants was excellent, as was the in-villa dining experience - a real treat. Living in Abu Dhabi, we are surrounded by 5 & 6 star hotels & restaurants & Karma more than matches them for service, ambiance & surroundings. The staff go out of their way to be helpful & friendly & the place itself is heavenly.
Not sure what the previous reviewer was talking about - maybe they were confusing Karma with another resort;-)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kate

Thank you for your great feedback and I am very happy to hear that the members of our bar were able to help recreate that amazing cocktail for you, I tried it myself and will look to possibly have this included on our menu, delicious!

I trust that we can welcome you back to Karma Kandara in the future for you to be able to try the rest of our signature 7 Chakra cocktails.

Tauranga
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Totally beautiful views - lovely beach with clean clear water. Very relaxing atmosphere, with friendly, helpful staff. Villas were amazing, very clean, with lovely bathrooms and comfortable beds. I would love to return to Karma Kandara one day .......

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank C C
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear C C

We would love you to return too and hope that we can do so in the near future! Thank you for your positive feedback.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband surprised me for our honeymoon and planned a trip to Karma Kandara Resort in Bali without any of my input...HE PICKED A WINNER!!

This resort is the most amazing place I have ever vacationed. The views are incredible and any picture just barely captures the true beauty of this resort. We stayed in a 2-bedroom villa with a private pool, and private outdoor shower- a honeymooner's dream! This is a very quiet and intimate location...I would even describe it as sexy.

The food at both restaurants was amazing and reasonably priced. We had fresh sushi every day and enjoyed a variety of cocktails, which were all incredible.

The staff is friendly and more than willing to accommodate the guests. Our personal concierge, Donna, was never without a smile. She gave us all the privacy we needed, but was available within a moment's notice for any requests we had.

I would go back tomorrow if I had the opportunity. Thank you Karma Kandara for making my honeymoon absolutely unforgettable!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hrod1031
Dear hrod

We too are delighted that your husband chose Karma Kandara for your special getaway and many congratulations from us all here! We would love to and hope that we can welcome you back again to celebrate your 1st anniversary!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My sister and I stayed in Karma villa on 15th of August 2013. It was villa number 18. We were not impressed at all. Okay, they have great views and very well maintained villas. But for the price we were paying, it was not worth it at all. I have stayed in other 5 star villas in Bali belonging to famous hotel brands. With slightly lower price, we got the very best of our stay…
Below is the list of our complains:
1. They have a small beach, and yet they are taking in outsiders for 25 usd to visit their beach. We had to fight with a group of outsiders to get a day bed at the beach. They staff didn't even help us much. This is extremely unacceptable. We were paying 750 usd a night for the villa and still we have to fight with outsiders who were only paying 25 usd.
2. We tried using the public pool, which has an amazing view. There were like 20 outside visitors taking picture all around the public pool. No privacy at all!
3. The villas were just plain ok. With 750 usd per night, we were expecting a 5 star villa like all the other villas and rooms we stayed before. The bed mattress, sheets and pillows are from the lower quality. The sofa is a cheap made sofa that doesn't feel good to sit on. Television was too small and the sound system is not even well connected. They don't have even a small bath tub in the villa.
4. At other famous brands villa, we should be able to get breakfast delivered to our villa without any extra charges as it is quite a premium price. But not in Karma. Food quality is not good as well, but we never have any high expectations on hotel food.
5. We complained to our concierge about all these things, but they didn't even apologize to us when we checked out.
We visit Bali quite often and we always try different villas and hotels on each visit. If you are considering to stay in a villa with a purpose of looking for privacy and you have money to spend, I suggest you opt for bigger developments like Ayana or Four Season which are in the same area. They are more professional and you don't need to worry about security at all. Outsiders are not even allowed to enter more than lobby area.
Hope this review helps.

13 Thank Retno3011
Dear Retno

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us at Karma Kandara was not up to your satisfaction and will fully investigate these matters as we continually strive to exceed expectations. I would welcome you to contact me directly on gm@karmakandara.com so that I am able to receive your email address and discuss further.

Erd, Hungary
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We spent the first two weeks of August 2013 in Karma Kandara in villa No. 8. It was one of our most relaxing and memorable holidays. I would recommend the resort for couples or larger families seeking peace and quiet. I would recommend it less for young people being more interested in the night life of Kuta.

The five-year-old beautiful resort is placed in a quiet area of Uluwatu, relatively far away from the crowded touristic places. We rented an automatic car with GPS navigation for 50 USD by day and visited most of the interesting places in the island. It takes about 45 minutes driving from the resort to Kuta fully packed with bars, restaurants and shopping malls.

There are two restaurants in the resort. The choice is not very large but all the food they offer is delicious and very well prepared. The espresso coffee is absolutely excellent.

The private beach of Karma Kandara is really OK. During low tide you can swim in the quiet lagoon and enjoy the corrals and colorful exotic fishes. It is a good idea to make your sun bed reservation one day earlier, because it can easily happen not to find a free one after 10 o'clock.

The extremely spacious villa has 3 bedrooms, a huge living room of 12x6 meters and private pool of 8x4 meters. It is surrounded by dense vegetation and walls made of stone offering perfect privacy. Placed on the top of the hill, it also features a limited view of the ocean. The private pool is relatively cold in this period of the year.

Most of the places in the resort are covered by free WiFi Internet connection with acceptable speed. The GSM coverage is also good.

The nice and friendly people of the resort really and honestly struggle to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Our private concierge Donna gave us immediate and professional level support any time we've been asking for it. The people you will have to communicate will speak English well or at least at acceptable level.

The main attraction of the resort from our point of view were the lovely monkeys. There is a group of 20-25 cute monkeys living in the resort coming to visit you time by time. We've been lucky to have them as guests twice and to make hundreds of beautiful photos about them playing around our private pool. The baby monkeys are extremely sweet. They don't disturb at all and are not dangerous but it is a good idea to keep a certain distance and keep the door shut during their visit because some of them are really keen on seeing the villa from inside as well.

If it happens that you plan your holiday in Karma Kandara in the first half of August bring some warmer clothes too because during dinner time it can be a little bit chilly.

Don't expect to buy anything in the boutique of the resort, which out of the fact that is well hidden one the first floor of the reception building it is continuously closed.

I would recommend to the management of the resort to consider introducing the buffet system at least for the breakfast. The actual a la carte system should look elegant but it is time consuming and reduces the capacity of the restaurant. Out of that most of the people like us prefer the buffet.

If you wish to read during the evening I would recommend to bring your own reading lamp. The illumination in the rooms is not enough for reading.

The resort is slightly overrated. The 300 USD payed for late checkout after a two weeks stay is at least surprising.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Szaki

Firstly may I say thank you for your amazing photos of our resort and your pictures of our local resident monkeys are adorable! From time to time they do like to play near the villas so always a good idea to keep your doors closed in case they feel like being a bit mischievous!

Our boutique has been moved to temporary location whilst we will be constructing a newly purpose built area for this near our di Mare restaurant and trust that we will be able to welcome you back to show you our full new range on your next visit.

Thank you for the recommendation on our breakfast service which we are currently considering as we continually look to extend and improve our food & beverage options.

Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I were stay in here for 2D1N with my friends for my friend pre wedding video shooting. Actually i were staying for 5D4N in total at Bali, but for me the best time was when i stayed in Karma Kandara.

We stayed at 4 bed rooms, all of the bed rooms provides wonderful and pleasant ambience for resting.
I found that staffs also polite and friendly, one time my friend lost his small bag which include his wallet and pocket camera inside, he didn't realize and keep playing on the beach, after couple hrs he just realized about it, then we asked staff around there, and fortunately they had found it before and keep it at receptionist.

Beside that the view is really wonderful even i know in Bali there is more beautiful scenery :)
But still it is stunning, the only thing that quite not satisfied me is stairs to get down to the beach ( around 85m), actually u can use lift for get to the beach, but in the morning i want to try the stairs, and the information, they mention there will be resting area some kind of that, but then i couldn't find it.
And i didn't wear shoes which was a bad mistake, since close to the end , there are a lot of small rocks, then i decide to climb use the stairs again .

Dear Andy

It was great to have you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in future! I am happy to hear that you were able to be reunited with your personal items in a quick manner as we are continually monitoring the resort.

The steps down to the beach is definitely a workout! 354 steps in total but well worth it, when it is accessible at low tide, for the spectacular views!

Rochelle Kilgariff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ungasan
Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali
AYANA Resort and Spa
AYANA Resort and Spa
#13 of 57 in Jimbaran
Anantara Uluwatu Bali Resort

Been to Karma Kandara? Share your experiences!