“Not for the ones expecting luxury, but the place is absolutely beautiful!”
Review of Kota Beach Resort

Kota Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Bantayan Island
Cavite City, Philippines
“Not for the ones expecting luxury, but the place is absolutely beautiful!”
Reviewed April 17, 2010

OVERALL: Kota Beach Resort offered cabana type rooms. We booked two air-conditioned cabanas for 4 days, which contained a single bed and a queen size bed on each room. Average bath (only cold water) and toilet. Not for the travelers expecting luxury. BUT outside the room is truly breathtaking. The white sand beach, even the view outside our cabana with palm trees and flowering garden was beautiful.

The staff are friendly and helpful. They even helped us get a boat to tour the surrounding islands. There's a cleaning lady every morning to change the sheets and clean the room.

One thing though, their restaurant is pretty expensive. The 3-in-1 coffee is PHP30 and the breakfast wasn't really good with small servings. I suggest going outside to eat or even better, let the locals buy and cook you food for 200 a dish with rice.

I bought a usb wifi with me and I was expecting the place to have no signal but surprisingly it had! The signal was full and the internet was fast.

But the best thing about the resort is really their beach. With breathtaking views, you can lounge under the sun or take a relaxing walk in the morning while viewing the sunrise or swim in the aquamarine waters. I was really sad to leave the place when our 4-day stay was up.

Would definitely love to go back there!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank mtfa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Asia
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Summary: Awesome (isolated, at least, isolated as it gets anywhere near Sta. Fe) beach. Everything OUTSIDE the room was terrific. The value ( price for what you get) of this place can't be beat when staying in their P1,260 room. Manicured, well kept, and calm, isolated cove where the waves dont bother you. I just floated there staring at the sky for an hour at dusk - no waves, no people, just me and 4 ft deep crystal clear water. INSIDE the room was pretty bad - local standards. Spiders, cracks, bad bed, sink about to fall of the wall, bathroom door couldn't close, cobwebs in the blinds. But all I did in the room was sleep and take showers, so I didn't mind - the a/c worked, the bed was soft, and it had plenty of water pressure in the shower, that's all I care about in any hotel room.

The price is cheap compared to other hotels - and the other hotels I saw had worse beaches, hence my claim that this place is the best value. I only searched for economy a/c rooms - I don't know a thing about any prices for deluxe rooms or fan rooms.

More Details:
In Hagnaya, on my way to Bantayan, I start calling hotels. Top two choices were Marlins and Kota, because I knew they both took credit cards and most others don't. Marlins had a "standard" room for P1500, and that was my first choice because I'd heard positive things about Marlins. I call and I find out that "standard" is NOT A/C. So the heck with that, I scratch them off my list. Next is Kota, because I heard they had a great beach. I call, ask for econ a/c room, they say P1260, I say sign me up. They pick me up at the pier on arrival, show me the room, I write my name on a sign in card, and I head to the beach. That easy.

I hear some bad things about service, and I can't really say because I spent all of 30 seconds in the lobby (cool mural there inside, be sure to take a pic), but I have nothing but good things to say. There was always someone in the restaurant to give me soda or water or food whenever I needed it. I asked for snorkeling gear, I got it (P100/day). I asked for banana pancakes, I got em (awesome!!!! pancakes P140 - big pancake, don't order two). I asked for more towels, I got em (crappy old towels, but I'm not picky). That's the entirety of my service experience there.

The room was average sized, I got 101 which along with 102 face the beach and are just as close to the beach as the "beachside" accommodations they have. Which is to say, the water is about 10meters away. Only cold water in the shower, but you should expect that in any "standard" or "economy" room here. The room is $14, and as with anywhere, you get what you pay for - but honestly I'd rather stay there than several of the motels I've stayed at in the states. I have pics, take a look for yourself.

I've never written such a nice review - I've never stayed at a hotel which deserved one - but this one does and I'd recommend it to anyone who's willing to travel to Sta Fe in the first place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank shadythebones
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed January 2, 2010

We had reserved a room a week ahead of our visit. But still we had to wait for quite some time since the room had to be cleaned first.
The lady at the reception was the most un-inviting person I have ever met at a reception. No smile, no welcome, reluctant answers to questions....

But then the beach was great. It's a pleasure to swim there or just take a sunbath. And to walk from Kota Beach along the shore is just great. So relaxing.

The service in the Restaurant was also fast and good. Yet, the waitresses could be a bit more friendly. Are they daughters of the lady at the reception?

And let me not forget that a shuttle fetches guests at the pier and brings them back.
Unfortunately, we had to leave at 7 AM and the driver was not yet up and around as promised.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pauly10
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We'd actually booked this resort a couple of weeks in advance but turned up a little bit early, having had to check out of the Santa Fe Resort at a stupidly early time of 10:00am.

When we arrived at the Kota Beach we had high hopes but these were soon dashed. The receptionist had all the charm and charisma of funeral director. We were told that our room wouldn't be available until 2:00pm instead of 12:00 as the occupants were having a late check-out! Talk about going from the sublime to the ridiculous. As a result we were going to go to the resort next door but it was full. So we had to sit it out for 4 hours until the room was available.

In the event, the owner said he would discount the room from the usual Php 2000 to Php1600 but reneged on this and charged us Php1700.

The chalet was right on the sea front, so close in fact that the waves crashed over the verandah at high tide. The room was basic and in need of refurbishment. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable I'd ever slept in.

The restaurant was ok. The staff were surly.

The location is fantastic in terms of the beach but the sea was full of sea grass making swimming not entirely pleasant.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mmcg968

Travelers are raving about these Bantayan Island hotels

Brisbane
Reviewed December 31, 2008

I had read some reviews about Kota Beach resort that seemed mixed but relatively positive.

As it was Xmas it was difficult to get accommodation on Bantayan. My partner rang a few days in advance and secured a room for one night. Upon arrival at the pier the Resort van took us to the resort for book in.

The room was in a row of dilapidated one room units. The ceiling had fallen in in the 'bathroom' which was filthy, the two single bunks looked like hammocks - they were so bowed. I took in the scene in 30 seconds without putting down my bag and walked out. Back at reception we were told that there were no rooms available. However, earlier I had overheard the receptionist telling another visitor that there were cottages available. So, once I asked - suddenly there was a cottage available but for only one night. When I said she had offered the other guest 2 nights - suddenly - once again - the cottage was available for 2 nights!! This woman was the epitome of poor service.

Her attitude seemed to permeate the place, with the waitresses in the 'restaurant' displaying a similar disinterested attitude. We had breakfast in the resturant twice and each time is was quite ordinary....having the beach directly in front was the only positive aspect of the experience.

The cottages were old. Very old. Supposedly trying to look like native huts. The bed was ordinary, the hut had a musty smell and there was only cold water - no hot water - only cold showers. I guess if I was still a backpacker I would think that these conditions were acceptable - but I am no longer a backpacker and no backpacker would pay 1500p for such a place.

My partner had been to Bantayan many times and we visited another resort which had a room available but it was tiny and about 150 metres from the beach. At least from our hut we could see the beach and the grounds were quite pleasant.

Kota Beach itself is quite nice if only about 100 metres long. The resort is walking distance (5 minutes) from Sante Fe village where there are a lot of places to eat. I stayed the two nights at Kota Beach because of the location and I did not want to waste time with check-outs and check-ins when I only had a limited amount of time at Bantayan.

Resort is a word that is used quite loosely and optimistically in the Philippines. Accommodation should replace the term in most instances. Kota Beach is accommodation - poor accommodation at that. It is really run down and should be backpacker's accommodation and priced accordingly.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything other than the location.......
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple