“worst room we have ever had”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Bannatyne
The Port Royal Hotel
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“worst room we have ever had”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband and I just back from a short break at this hotel. Our room was round the corner from hotel which you dont expect, in fact a separate building with its own door It was reminiscent of a dungeon and tiny. The double bed was tiny with awful mattress. The room was not terribly clean either. The one evening meal we had was mediocre and breakfast unusual . We go to Bute a lot but certainly will not be staying here again. The bar was empty every night and my husband is a real ale enthusiast and there was none on. Seemingly only available in July and August and I would imagine to facilitate the yachting fraternity !!! Also no dressing table but then again there would be no room for one so any ladies wanting to dry hair, do make up etc you cannot. I was glad I had a decent sized hand mirror with me !!

Room Tip: As far as I saw there are none, they are all situated round the corner and you have to walk inn stre...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LFrankie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

I am not accustomed to commenting on hotels, restaurants, etc that I have visited however I am compelled to do so on this occasion following my recent stay at the Port Royal Hotel (or Russian Tavern) from 28th September to 2nd of October 2011.
Quite simply I enjoyed every aspect of my short stay at the hotel although the highlights were, the excellent real ale and Russian beers that I sampled, the many interesting conversations with the proprietor (Dag) and, of course, the fantastic cuisine.
I find it quite incredible that a hotel and restaurant of this high standard can be found in a remote area of the world like Port Bannatyne, Isle of Bute and I will definitely return there on my next visit to Scotland.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Ede
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

After a year finally back in The Port Royal, love this place!
Great food and a large variety of drinks. Always a warm welcome from the owners, each year we visit the Isle of Bute and a stay in this hotel is one of our highlights.
We also had the pleasure of meeting some local people ....and the next day.. one of the locals took us on a boat trip!
The hotel is only 80 M from the marina
Just super, what else do you need?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

didn't get to sleep due to noise from large groups of drunks outside, went to restaurant /bar to see about dinner, even though resident, told that children were not allowed in the bar/restaurant, had to go elsewhere for dinner. (Bit much considering the room we stayed in was advertised as a family room with double bed and bunk beds.. Although the breakfast was good, I would absolutely avoid this hotel, it has without doubt been my worst ever experience of staying in a hotel. I have never felt the need to write a negative review until now, but just have to warn others. We only booked to stay here on the basis of its supposed award winning restaurant, it would have been nice to have been able to try it. Also, although advertised as having TVs in the room, the small one in our room had only a small broken internal antenna and could not receive any channels, and was filthy.AVOID THIS ONE.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank travelog7
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

I stayed at this very friendly hotel for a couple of nights, and spent quite a lot of time in their very nice bar area sampling the real ales. The restaurant is based around Russian / Eastern European dishes, with some specials thrown in. I tried their Croques St Jacques, which was mouth-watering.

Dag (the host) and his lady wife are very welcoming and go the extra mile to make your dining experience very special. The rooms were very good, and the hotel is of course in a fabulous location - stunning views.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

This was our second trip to the Port Royal - we first went earlier this year, and were so impressed by the quality of the food and welcome, and the surrounding scenery, that we immediately decided a second vist was essential. On this occasion we took bikes so that we could work off the superb breakfast at leisure on Bute's tranquil roads. Dinner is outstanding, both in terms of value and quality. All meals a prepared from fresh ingredients, and the fine selection of Russian ales and wine complement the cuisine. The owners could not have been more friendly or attentive, from the moment we arrived until the moment of our departure (we actually went back at lunchtime to top up on the fine food following a cycle trip round the island). The view from the dining room (see photos) is superb, and the silence at nights punctuated only by the (very) occasional passing car and the seabirds is stunning. Quality, value, friendliness and character - all set in a superb location. What more could one ask for.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

The view from the hotel was fantastic. There is a short pier across the road and it is lovely to see all the boats anchored and taken in the breathtaking scenery.
We were greeted by the friendly host with complimentary beers...a great start and enough of an enticement to have dinner there.
The food was fantastic. I especially recommend the Beef Stroganoff. The meals take time to prepare (a good sign) but are well worth the wait.
The range of beers and spirits was great.
The room we got was quiet. There was no road noise and it is in a quiet area even though it is just off the main road.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
#3 of 19 in Rothesay
Ardyne
Ardyne
#4 of 19 in Rothesay

Been to The Port Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!