If you need to escape for a few days of peaceful relaxation then this is the place for you!!! Great walks, coastal and inland. The beach is a mixture of sand and pebbles with only the occasional walker passing through. Circular walk to Caswell Bay a must, sad that the surf shop was closed so couldn’t hire a paddle board! Lovely shop and cafe the other way along the coastal path to Southgate. Would have walked on through to Oxwich had the poor dog not cut her foot. You will need to take up the owners offer to drive you down the track to the Cottage if you don’t have a sturdy 4x4.....and even then it is only for the experienced of drivers to attempt. The track down is certainly a great start to the adventure! Once there you don’t need a vehicle to enjoy this heavenly place. The Cottage Annexe itself is a little tired looking and basic but more than adequate for a lovely peaceful break. Great wood burner and plenty of dry wood for it, this really added to the atmosphere plus sitting out on the balcony each morning pure bliss! We will definitely be heading back to this hidden gem.....armed with paddle board next time!
Beautiful and quiet, beach on the doorstep, amazing walks over the cliffs. Barley my dog and I could have stayed forever. We will be back. Woof Woof.
What a fabulous place, so peaceful and remote. Loads of places to walk, stunning scenery, great food - what more could anyone want.
This is just the coolest place we've ever stayed. Rustic but fantastic. It's even a real adventure just on the journey down the cliff. Bob and Kath are great, the beach is great, we cooked on a fire on the beach most nights and slept with the French doors open listening to the surf. Wish it were ours!!!!
It grieves us to write a review as we want to keep it a secret!! But we have to give credit where it's due, we holiday in Scotland and abroad but Ship cottage is by far our favourite spot! We have 2 dogs who love to run free, so it's perfect having your own beach. The cottage is cosy and welcoming and love the wood burner for chilly nights. Breakfast on the balcony in the sun, so quiet and secluded. If you like walking go left or right for amazing coastal walks, if you don't then just chill and relax on the beach or clamber over the rocks to check out rock pools.
We have a 4x4 so can get down to cottage on our own, but if not kath or Bob collect you and bring you down in there's! Hence the only passing traffic is the odd walkers and local's (very friendly and helpful) walking their dogs!! Checked out the new larger cottage next door, if more of you then perfect and full of character.
We are so pleased we discovered this piece of paradise, only downside is the day of departure!! Very depressing having to return to reality!! Already booking next trip there!!
A truly lovely location and an amazing introduction to Wales. My guide to making even better:
- remember to bring tea/coffee. In retrospect this seems like a fairly obvious thing to do, but it did not even cross my mind. Wine was a handy replacement for the cup of tea after a long drive (boyfriend can certainly be relied upon to remember that), but the morning grumpiness could last well into the early afternoon if you are a coffee addict like me - the shops are fairly far away.
- be prepared to 'cwtch' - the bed is small, but, admittedly, very comfy and, being an expert bed hogger, I slept like a baby every night.
- brush up on your fire making skills: the log burner is amazing! It heats up the downstairs living area really well, whilst keeping the bedroom upstairs fairly cool. Unfortunately there was no proper wood to burn, only the small, tinder like planks, which meant that we could not keep the fire going through the night. Certainly should not be an issue through the summer and there is a good chance that we are to blame - we are certainly no fire building experts, although boyfriend would disagree, having spent an entire 5 minutes on the internet reading up on this
- be mindful to shower either before or after your neighbours to avoid spending 30 minutes trying to wet your hair. This was not really an issue, until the last day, as both properties have a 10am check our time...an earlier start may save you spending a big chunk of your morning in that shower.
- sunrises and sunsets on the beach are a must. During the day, the beach got quite busy with dozens of kids, barbecues and one late (ish) teenage party (was half term though, mind), but...in the mornings and evenings we had the beach completely to ourselves.
In summary, this is a great place and for the price - a bargain! The cosy, low key cottage and the surrounding beauty made me fall a little in love with Wales and, this is probably the biggest compliment any holiday let could have. A few tea bags and a little wood would have made this truly special!
We stayed here for a family get together over a weekend hiring the main house and the annex and the shared accommodation worked really well. It's a lovely house with a very relaxed and welcoming feel. Well presented and very clean. It's a stunning location right on the beach but access is tricky so great if you are happy walking and want to get away from everything but it probably wouldn't suit people wanting to drive in and out every day. Take lots of food with you! We took our 4WD car down to the house but the owners helped others in our family and they were very friendly and helpful.