“Great introduction to Tasmanian wildlife”

Tasmanian Devil Unzoo
Book In Advance
More Info
$134.06*
and up
South East Food, Sightseeing Private Tour with...
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Taranna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The world's first Unzoo project is located at Taranna, Tasmania, about one hour from Hobart and 10kms before Port Arthur. The Unzoo is an innovative and holistic wildlife experience dedicated to showing you the unique animals and plants of Tasmania while taking a lead role in preserving the critically endangered Tasmanian devil. Join our guided wildlife encounters and come face to face with our famous devils and endemic quolls, pademelons, rosellas, kangaroos, possums, frogmouths and birds of prey. More than two km of trails take you through the Tasmanian Native Botanic Garden from tall tree forest to the Norfolk Bay seaside. The principle of the Unzoo is to immerse you in our natural environment so, for instance, we have removed our boundary fences so the local wild animals can come and go as they please. Allow two hours for your visit or add an hour for a 4WD research and conservation adventure to see how we are managing the last safe wild Tasmanian devils on Earth. The Unzoo is open every day (except 25 Dec) from 9am. We schedule our wildlife encounters each half hour or so, that's 15 every day.
Reviewed February 27, 2017

We went with American friends who were keen to see our wildlife. The entrance fee of $33 sounds high but on reflection we got our money's worth. We saw Devils being fed and scampering around showing off. We also saw Eastern Quolls and native and not quite native birds and the information was very good. Tasmanians get a year of access from one ticket, a great idea based on the fact that we might like to take more guests in the coming year.

1  Thank Pdunchob
"couple of hours"
in 11 reviews
"amazing animals"

Reviewed February 27, 2017 via mobile

Really cool! It was much larger and had far more animals than I had anticipated! Staff were very knowledgeable and the feedings were fun to watch. Walking through the wallabies and kangaroos was our favorite. The birds were really cool too. And of course, the Tasmanian devils :-)

1  Thank emjunck
Reviewed February 17, 2017 via mobile

Interesting. Has tassie devils so correct there.
Quite expensive with no student discount. Children only as under 16. $33 each for adult. Told it was a 'donation' interesting wording.
Someone shooting on adjacent property, sounds like a dog got wounded.

Reviewed February 15, 2017

Well informed and interesting guide. The devils were highly in evidence and very entertaining. The entrance fee is perhaps a little high but presumably goes towards conservation.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 15, 2017 via mobile

A guide shouted "no" in mandarins at us to not take picture of him. We were in fact taking picture of a free roaming bird which flew onto him. His job includes doing animal shows. Isn't it unreasonable of him to expect not to be photographed with the animals while he was doing animal show? Even so, he should have the courtesy to let visitors know no photography before shouting. I strongly believe this guide was racist. My son indicated interest to participate in a bird trick that he was showing with a few standing visitors around outside the cage of the eastern quoll. We were the only family with children and our children were definitely big enough to take part. He ignored my son totally. I am not alone having this bad experience. See other reviews. Until they train or get rid of this guide, this place is racist and Asians should avoid visiting this place.

Tourists won't missed anything for not visiting this place, which was expensive and small scale. Their schedule also did not run on time (we waited for 10 mins for the eastern quoll feeding. We thought we got the wrong information until the racist guide appeared. On hindsight, our visit would have been more pleasant if we had left.). The unzoo concept was also not obvious to us. Due to the bad experience we had with this zoo, we avoided all zoos during our 2 weeks trip.

John H, Owner at Tasmanian Devil Unzoo, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2017

This is a slightly amended response to the message below. I shall be happy to meet with you personally in Singapore tomorrow (Monday 20th Feb). This is short notice but I arrive from KL tomorrow evening arriving around 8.30 pm at our hotel. Please contact me by SMS on +61 408 641 642 if you would like to have a chat. We have agent meetings next day before flying to HK.

I am sorry that your visit to our Unzoo was not as positive as you expected.

First of all I would like to inform you that within a day or so of us becoming aware of, and I must say being very surprised at, a couple of visitor comments such as yours, an employee you appear to refer to resigned from employment with us. This was in December. This already has been noted by us in one or two responses we posted on Tripadvisor some weeks ago.

Please be assured that for nearly 40 years our family wildlife operation has welcomed visitors from all around the world, a fact reflected by our 4.5 rating on Tripadvisor. Indeed our greatest enjoyment is seeing the interaction between our wonderful wildlife and the amazing people visiting our park from all corners of the world.

In order to further encourage this I shall once more be on a Tourism Tasmania international trade mission in Singapore, KL and HK this week speaking with many travel agents. In doing so we believe we have gained the trust and respect of the travel trade as well as leading national tourism organisations.

We have noted that you recently posted a two star review, removed it then reposted a more detailed response with just a one star rating. We do take your feedback very seriously and will continue working with our staff to provide the best experience possible for our valued visitors. As a gesture of good faith to you I would ask that you contact me directly through our website to allow us to follow up with you personally.

I once again that I would like to assure you we are very sorry this was your experience. We do believe this was a one-off situation and are reinforcing with our team that our long-standing policy has been, and I quote from our employee handbook, "to operate a tolerant visitor experience and workplace for people of all nationalities, creeds, beliefs and abilities. You must respect this. Intolerance, bias, exclusion and bullying of any visitor, employee or other person is not acceptable."

I hope this allays any concerns you and other intending visitors might have about visiting our long-established Unzoo.

Kind Regards,