“The highlight of my trip to Thailand.”

John Gray's Sea Canoe
Ranked #7 of 247 Tours in Phuket Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: After 12 years designing and developing one of the World's most highly awarded Ecotourism companies, John "Caveman" Gray goes his own way by forming "John Gray's SeaCanoe" with 18 of his most loyal and experienced guides. "After 12 years in Phuket, the experiment ran its course and I was packing for Polynesia," says Gray, "but when all these guides showed up, I had no choice but to stay and do another start-up."
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I took part in a 2 day kayaking trip with John Gray's company in June this year with a group of 23 other people.
It was by far the best experience of my entire 5 week trip, and an experience that I will never forget anytime soon.

We had the pleasure of having John Gray himself on our boat - allowing for a lot of interesting conversation during the time we were on the boat - he's had one hell of an interesting life.
The guides on the boat were absolutely amazing - the service was unparalleled. All of the guys were extremely well informed, most were english speaking, and they all ensured you had the best possible experience. We had a fantastic time with them joining in on the fun in the free time by showing you games you can plan on the kayaks and jumping off the boat for a quick swim.

The food on the boat was almost worth the trip in itself - seriously the best food I had in my entire journey, I would have been more than happy to get it in any restaurant.

The kayaking itself was amazing - the mangroves and caves were stunning, and the guides really helped to give you a better understanding about what you were looking at.
The kayaking at night was like something out of a dream - after making and sending off your offerings made from banana leaves and flowers, you kayak round to the side of one of the cliffs in the dark to experience the bio-luminescent algae that's found in the sea - you run your hand through the water and it looks like a thousand tiny stars lighting up at your touch. It was a stunning experience.

If you are looking for a sea kayaking experience, John Gray's is the one to go for. The entire trip from start to finish was amazing, mainly thanks to the experienced guides and their first class knowledge and service. I can't wait to go back one day!

2  Thank Zodiacpunch
Write a ReviewReviews (2,847)
All reviews
in 78 reviews
"large boat"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Fantastic experience ... Sights breathtaking ...highly recommend the day trip to all. Kids & us loved it....not to be missed

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This exceeded our expectations, absolutely beautiful day being guided around on a kayak. The guides were knowledgeable and friendly. We were taken around the islands, into the caves, under caves where we had to lie flat in order to enter otherwise inaccessible areas. The food (lunch and dinner) was delicious and there was icy cold water provided throughout the day. There was enough seating for everyone and 2 toilets downstairs on the boat. Making the offering was lovely, we then let it go on the water after dinner to make a wish.

2  Thank Angela570
Reviewed July 15, 2013

After quite a few trips to Phuket and other tours of Phang Nga bay we decided this time to do the Hongs by Starlight tour with John Gray. We are now wondering why it took us this long. It was a wonderful highlight of our latest trip to Phuket. The staff were extremely informative and very attentive. Special thanks to the ever smiling Sonny and his wonderful sense of humour. The food was delicious and plentiful. This was a very well run and professional tour and would not hesitate to recommend it.

1  Thank TrishH25
See more reviews
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I first went on a John Gray sea canoe trip to Phang Nga Bay almost 15 years ago, and did a self-paddle trip in Krabi. My memories of those trips were of friendly and competent staff, an innovative business idea, and fabulous food.

This time round, I decided to take the Hong by Starlight tour which differed from the other day trips of rival companies in that it started around lunch time and ended way after dark. The weather that day was rainy and we were warned by the staff that the boat ride out to the karst limestone islands would be choppy. I liked the fact that the staff carried out a friendly but important safety warning to the guests,

Lunch was served shortly after departure as well and I'm glad to say that the standards hadn't fallen one bit. While the setting was hardly grand, the food was fresh, tasty and did ample justice to those prepared in more expensive restaurants in Phuket. And all of it prepared on the boat in somewhat makeshift kitchens.

Bellies filled, we embarked on a paddle through a sea cave to get into the hollow interior of an island. Because the tide had only started to fall, we had to lie flat (or as flat as could be) in the rubber canoes (technically, they were kayaks, not canoes) while our guide slowly released the air in them. It was certainly an interesting experience having the walls of the sea cave only inches from my nose and feeling the canoe get tighter and lower in the water as the air was released. Once inside the island, the atmosphere was lush, serene and miles away from the sea outside.

Part of the attraction on this trip was the chance to see how a offeratory joss lantern is made for the loy krathong festival. The work was demonstrated by our guides just as the sun was setting and guests were encouraged to help out in the work. In it strictest sense, the lantern was supposed to be made entirely of biodegradable materials like the stem of a banana tree, leaves, flowers and joss sticks. So I was a little disappointed in that metal nails were used to keep the parts in their proper place. But I guess most of the lanterns were dismantled after use. In any case, the weather prevented our releasing the lanterns at sea, so the crew improvised to have them released in a sea cave - where else?

Certainly one of the highlights of my recent trip to Phuket, this visit to the islands helped me connect in a way to the local population through our guides. Even if sea-sickness is an issue (or especially if it isn't), seeing the islands from the inside (so to speak) remained magical and worth the effort just to get out there

1  Thank ianwyj