“There is nothing else like this anywhere!!!!”

John Gray's Sea Canoe
Ranked #2 of 204 Tours in Phuket Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: After 12 years designing and developing one of the World's most highly awarded Ecotourism companies, John "Caveman" Gray goes his own way by forming "John Gray's SeaCanoe" with 18 of his most loyal and experienced guides. "After 12 years in Phuket, the experiment ran its course and I was packing for Polynesia," says Gray, "but when all these guides showed up, I had no choice but to stay and do another start-up."
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“There is nothing else like this anywhere!!!!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Do not hesitate to go on this trip!!! For the money you get all your transportation, more food than you could ever eat, an excellent guide, group kratong session and the offering ceremony using them and a lifetime of memories!!!! Thanks!!!!

Visited October 2012

• Thai first
Brisbane
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“You MUST do this tour if you are in Phuket!!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My parents and I did this tour when we were in Phuket and I must say that it was the absolute highlight of my trip. The food was the very best food I ate on the entire trip to Thailand. In fact, it may have been the best food I have ever eaten. The last trip to light our candle floats we made was positively magical and the staff were a pleasure to spend the day with.

I would encourage anyone to do this tour and it seems it would be suitable for all ages. There were small children right through to grandmas and grandpas on our tour. It's a late start too so you can have a sleep in which is nice while you are on holidays.

The staff were very knowledgeable about the area and had informative answers for everyone's questions. If there is only 1 tour you do in Thailand, do yourself a favour and make sure it is this one.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Rikki-Lee B
Singapore, Singapore
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Amazing nature experience, food cooked on the boat!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Bring your iron stomach, matey! John Gray's sea canoe is an amazing nature experience with yummy but questionable cuisine.

Free pickup from hotel. We were dropped at an awfu(lly dirty) shack by the ocean to sit and wait for the stragglers. It was 20 minutes of the kids asking for this and that--hungry for the promised thai lunch but faced with chips, ice cream etc. Finally got on the boat and were served lunch. A few platters everyone dove into and finished. Last one it=no food! To be fair, they didn't say it was a light lunch.

They explained about the canoeing and caves. It was truly amazing. I wish the guide had explained more on the boat. It's one thing to be awestruck, it's another to have learned a great deal.

Coffee/tea break back on the boat was fun.

More canoeing and this time a swim in the ocean, too. Chance to paddle on your own without guide.

Seafood dinner on boat, more food this time. Separate food for vegetarians (us) but meat eaters dove into in even though the crew asked them not too. Seriously, can't I have one small platter of veggies to eat? I took extra time trying to feed my kids, by the time I got up there the carnivores had nearly demolished my little tray. :)

Next we did the Thai offering in the darkness from the canoe. Lovely!

Long boat ride back, long van ride back. Kids slept. Lots of time to reflect on the beauty.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Maguerite J
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“BEST ADVENTURE! A MUST!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This canoeing trip was hands down the most amazing thing my husband and I have ever done! It exceeded our expectations!

All the meals were DELICIOUS and cooked fresh on the boat! They even ask if anyone has any allergies to seafood or nuts, or if you are vegetarian, etc. If so, they will customize a special meal for you!

The canoeing experience was amazing and sooo much fun! Our guide was so knowledgable and spoke English very well. He's been working for this company for 17 years.

There wasn't one hiccup throughout the day. The activities were planned out so well that it just flowed nicely:)

It is honestly a must to go on this tour!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank shussai
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fabulous - must do this!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Hong by Starlight sea-kayaking tour was the highlight of our trip. The staff were knowledgeable, cared about the area, and we're excellent guides.

Our guide, Peter, was extremely caring and took the time to point out things we would have missed. The leader, Mon, had a great sense-of-humour and always kept us informed.

The lunch was very good and they even provided a few yummy vegetarian options for me which was fantastic. The crew do well in the tiny kitchen, and the food they produced was tasty. My surprise was the quality of coffee served out of tin mugs. A good long black anywhere, but served in the middle of a canoeing trip was a wonderful surprise.

Making and floating our kratong was special, and a memory that will be referred to regularly. the caves were spectacular, the water is lovely and warm and the views are magnificent.

If you do one trip only, then make it this one. It is worth every cent and more.

Visited September 2012