“Back to school but loving it!!”

Blue Elephant Cooking School
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Booked into the cookery school for a 1/2 day course. We were warmly greeted by Tony and then off to the local market. What an experience - the mix of fruit, veg and seafood was amazing and having someone on hand to talk us through it was invaluable! Sampling, smelling, tasting - it was all wonderful and we did not want to leave. Then to the cooking - it was so informative. We were so lucky as my wife and I were the only 2 in the class. The personal training allowed us to take our time, ensuring we got the flavours just right. The mix of courses were great - duck curry, soup, fish & a salad. With all the tasting I could not stomach any more food at the end. Wonderful setting, great people and a building full of history and heritage. I do very little cooking at home but did not feel out of my depth - a really nice pace to the course and the resulting food was top class. I would recommend this for all standards, with some authentic food to buy in the shop as well. We will be back!

1  Thank David Y

Reviewed January 19, 2014

went her for dinner with another couple while staying in karon beach. it was about a half hour drive, but taxi fare is cheap. the restaurant is a bit in the middle of nowhere and you have to travel winding roads to get there. upon arrival the building is beautiful, especially at night all lit up.

Resto itself was quite empty the night we dined. interior made it feel like you were in the heart of georgia. there was a lovely man playing a keyboard piano all night who was great....

food and service was impeccable. would highly recommend for a different night out in phuket.

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I had a great time at this cooking school. While enjoying my welcome drink I found out that the other group member had cancelled! Yay for me, a private lesson with Chef Tony.

I cooked five dishes and asked about 100 questions, all of which Tony did not mind answering. Everybody I spoke to or who came through the kitchen were really friendly. The governors mansion is a spectacular building and the perfect setting for this cooking school. It's not the cheapest but it certainly is the best. I missed out on the goody pack also despite this I could not fault the staff and my one to one lesson hence the high score. Tony was a great teacher and has inspired me to cook the dishes at home. Thanks Tony.

1  Thank SCenta
Reviewed January 16, 2014

As we were on the morning course, we started with an extremely informative tour of the local markets with Chef Tony, then returned to the hotel for the lessons. Before the class started, we were treated with some snacks that Tony had picked up at and near the markets. Over the following four hours, we were guided to cook 5 dishes - a curry, a stir fry, a salad and 'soufflé' among them. A couple of them we watched the chef, tasted his, then tried replicating it; while others were done along with him. We were able to understand the process of developing a flavour, while tailoring a dish to our own taste.

At the end of the class, we were given a certificate, taken into the dining room and staff served us the dishes we had cooked. Of course, there was much too much to eat!

The only downside was the variously described gift that we were to get to take home. This was to include an apron and a goody bag of products from the hotel. Even the brochure on the luncheon table promised us 'a basket of teas, spices and sauces' in addition to the apron. No offer of any of this was made by staff, and when we mentioned this as we were paying, we were told that they were out of stock of the aprons, and we pressed the point about the products. We finally received a paper carry bag containing a jar of massaman paste and a bottle each of fish sauce and tamarind dressing. Not quite the bounty we were expecting!! Needless to say, the price wasn't discounted in any way for the missing apron or paltry product offerings.

2  Thank Dianne K
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My girlfriend found this cooking school online and we booked the same day via email.
The personnel in Phuket is very nice. The school is located in the old Governor's mansion which has been newly renovated keeping its old charm fully intact.
The cooking school takes more or less 3 hours. At the Friday afternoon class we were just myself, my girlfriend and the chef (Guya, a very nice Thai guy). The lesson is interesting and detailed and you will come up with four awesome dishes that you will eat in the dining room once the lesson will be completed.
The class is a bit pricey but totally worth the money, given the quality of the recipes that they will teach you and the stunning location the school is set in. Overall, this is highly recommended.

1  Thank MrAlberto041