“Hands-on fun experience ”

Blue Elephant Cooking School
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I had a great time at this cooking school. While enjoying my welcome drink I found out that the other group member had cancelled! Yay for me, a private lesson with Chef Tony.

I cooked five dishes and asked about 100 questions, all of which Tony did not mind answering. Everybody I spoke to or who came through the kitchen were really friendly. The governors mansion is a spectacular building and the perfect setting for this cooking school. It's not the cheapest but it certainly is the best. I missed out on the goody pack also despite this I could not fault the staff and my one to one lesson hence the high score. Tony was a great teacher and has inspired me to cook the dishes at home. Thanks Tony.

1  Thank SCenta
There are newer reviews for Blue Elephant Cooking School

Reviewed January 16, 2014

As we were on the morning course, we started with an extremely informative tour of the local markets with Chef Tony, then returned to the hotel for the lessons. Before the class started, we were treated with some snacks that Tony had picked up at and near the markets. Over the following four hours, we were guided to cook 5 dishes - a curry, a stir fry, a salad and 'soufflé' among them. A couple of them we watched the chef, tasted his, then tried replicating it; while others were done along with him. We were able to understand the process of developing a flavour, while tailoring a dish to our own taste.

At the end of the class, we were given a certificate, taken into the dining room and staff served us the dishes we had cooked. Of course, there was much too much to eat!

The only downside was the variously described gift that we were to get to take home. This was to include an apron and a goody bag of products from the hotel. Even the brochure on the luncheon table promised us 'a basket of teas, spices and sauces' in addition to the apron. No offer of any of this was made by staff, and when we mentioned this as we were paying, we were told that they were out of stock of the aprons, and we pressed the point about the products. We finally received a paper carry bag containing a jar of massaman paste and a bottle each of fish sauce and tamarind dressing. Not quite the bounty we were expecting!! Needless to say, the price wasn't discounted in any way for the missing apron or paltry product offerings.

2  Thank Dianne K
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My girlfriend found this cooking school online and we booked the same day via email.
The personnel in Phuket is very nice. The school is located in the old Governor's mansion which has been newly renovated keeping its old charm fully intact.
The cooking school takes more or less 3 hours. At the Friday afternoon class we were just myself, my girlfriend and the chef (Guya, a very nice Thai guy). The lesson is interesting and detailed and you will come up with four awesome dishes that you will eat in the dining room once the lesson will be completed.
The class is a bit pricey but totally worth the money, given the quality of the recipes that they will teach you and the stunning location the school is set in. Overall, this is highly recommended.

1  Thank MrAlberto041
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My friend and I went to the cooking school in the morning to be greeted by Chef Tony. We quickly struck up friendly conversation with him as we waited for others to arrive. When we set off towards the market, Tony gave us loads of useful information about Thailand and Thai people. At the market, he shared his knowledge of the produce and products that make Thai food both unique and delicious. Once back at the school, we were able to try a few snacks that he bought us, which made me regret eating a medium sized breakfast at the hotel. We watched him cook the first dish and then we had our chance to try it out as he was there to give us advice on how to put it all together. Chef Tony was very clear in his explanations and made us feel very comfortable being in his domain. We repeated the process of watch and cook for the rest of the dishes, as well as getting to sample his dishes to get a general idea of what we wanted ours to taste like. After cooking the last dish, we cleaned up and we were invited to take a seat in the beautiful dining room as we were served our dishes to eat for lunch. Along with several gifts that we were given to us to take home, they gave us a certificate for successful cooking course completion. It was a great experience and I couldn't recommend it highly enough, regardless of the price being a little higher than what you might find else where in Thailand. It's a first class operation that makes you feel very comfortable to be a part of, even for a day.

1  Thank jssokolo
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend recently attended the Blue Elephant Cookery School in Phuket and below highlights the strengths and areas of change following our experience -

Strengths -

1. Two dedicated and passionate chefs/teachers - Charles & Tony who provided the class are keen to pass on their knowledge and skill set around two starters and two main courses that they taught
2. Trip to the local market with Tony - who provided us with his knowledge on the local produce - which we both found very informative
3. Professional and organised - both Charles and Tony were professional and open to answering all of our questions and had all of the ingredients prepared for us to use during the class
4. We were fortunate that it was just the both of us taking the class, which resulted in us having 1:1 attention
5. Great setting and building for the course
6. The handouts and goodie bag on completing the course

Area for change -
The pricing on the website should include the additional charges - ie give the total cost - rather than mentioning this at the bottom of the page.

For the customer - on reflection we both agreed that taking this class at the beginning of our trip to Thailand would have made us more adventurous with the fruits and local produce we would have eaten.

Overall a wonderful experience was had and a morning of mindfulness! We both left with skills we will use in the near future.

Thank you very much Charles & Tony and staff at Blue Elephant