“Terrible - Do not fund animal abuse”

Phuket Shooting Range
Adelaide, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Terrible - Do not fund animal abuse”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

A rainy day in Phuket and free of any plans left us with the idea to head to Phuket Town for some sight seeing, on the way our driver suggested going on an elephant ride in hind sight obviously was scamming us trying to get commission from the business operators.
We thought what the hell, when in Rome.
Regrettable decision.

We arrived at the complex which has the shooting range, go-carts and elephant 'trekking'.

We paid an expensive $30 each and quickly ushered inpolietly to where the elephants were.
I was feeling excited and giddy that I would see elephants, as soon as I saw them I welled up with sadness and regret.
What we saw were numerous elephants chained together in small unkept quarters, scared from bullhook wounds.
We were not given any opportunity to meet and greet the elephants, not even to see its face, we were ushered straight on and were off.
I fought back tears and sadness the whole time.
The elephant instructor sat on its head with his feet pressured behind its ears, he used a bullhook ( looks like a pick axe) and controlled the elephant by putting it deep into its ear canal, clearly causing it great discomfort and pain.
The poor creature was clearly hungry as it was desperately trying to eat some food, to which the controller would not allow.
We trudged through a filfthy yard, scattered with rubbish and debri everywhere then stopped and the controller turned around and offered us to buy ivory. Disgraceful.
We naturally refused and took the elephant back to its pen. On the way what else should we see but a cockfight on the way.
Once back at the pen we were quickly ushered off and sent to the 'gift' shop.
I refuse to spend another dime at such a place, exploit animals with such negligence.

They also had a young baby elephant, no more than 12 months chained up, and for a price you could see the poor thing do tricks. No thanks!!

Very sad experience. DO NOT recommend.

Visited September 2013
10 Thank Kat P

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Durban, South Africa
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Waste of time”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We passed the shooting range and I wanted to give my wife the experience of shooting a fire arm, what a disappointment
The manager/ instructor could not speak English, when I told him what we want he pushed a paintball gun across the counter, after some more sign language he just took a revolver out from under the counter and pushed it over to us, it was clear to me that safety is not to high on their priority list and we decided to rather leave
The price list is quite expensive, 1800B for 10 shots

I did not feel comfortable there

2 Thank 312595Apollo47
Perth, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Expensive but fun”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

For those who have never handled or shot a firearm this place can be fun. Having come from a law enforcement background it holds no fascination for me but the others in the group had fun. Very expensive as 10 rounds will cost you around 1000 Baht and the rounds are reloads so you don't get the "real" experience a factory load fired off gives you. Nevertheless, everyone that had never fired a semi-auto handgun before had fun in a safe and well run range. Recommended for the experience if you have never done it before, if you have you may come away a little disappointed.

2 Thank Craig Z
Adelaide, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Ditto”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

As has all the other reviews say.
Pricey per bullet Yes.
Well run and professional yes. Actually I felt like we were processed they are so slick.
If your not watching your pennies too much, I would recommend it.

The price is only a shock as it costs more to shoot 10 rounds, than have a taxi driver drive you 30 minutes and the wait 2 hrs and drive you back from an activity in Phuket.

1 Thank Greg A
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great fun”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We decided to have a look at the Phuket shooting range as we'd heard different stories so we decided to check it out for ourselves.

Firstly, It would be considered as somewhat expensive all bar one weapon is 990 baht for 10 rounds. At the current exchange rate this works out to be about $34.00 AUD. So yeah it is expensive but you get to shoot an variety of weapons which gives the experience a bit of a thrill and almost makes it worth it.

Our whole family (2 adults & 2 kids) had a go at it and to be honest we had a great time. You get to get a photo of you with your weapon and target sheet. You get to keep the target which has your percentage of accuracy which is not a bad souvenir to take back with you if you just look at it as a different type of experience especially if like us your not usually around or involved with weapons.

The range is very professionally run and you have an instructor with you the entire time you are using the weapon, this will make any person with any sort of apprehension feel at ease.

If you treat it as a different experience to have that you wouldn't be able to have back here in Australia then most should enjoy the time at the range. Even my 8 yr old daughter got to shoot a magazine full of BB pellets, she had an absolute ball and even asked if we had time could we go back so she could have another go.

It may not be for anyone but it is an attraction available to people that isn't available to us here.

Just keep an open mind!