“Bored of the beach - come to safari”

Amazing Bukit Safari
Reviewed January 14, 2014

It was not so bad for us as it is described in reviews below but needs a lot of improvement. The common areas are intidy and dirty. The smells are disgusting. Ok, there are animals all around but still you can manage it much better.
I didn't notice any violence towards animals. They looked tidy and clean. The small elephants were happy to perform and to be fed bananas, no one beat them in order to do so. Yes, they were chained from the beginning but i guess it is made because of the safety reasons.
The guide was very nice - funny and friendly.
It was a funny experience with our mahout. When we reached specific point of our route mahouts got down from elephants offering to make pictures of you sitting on the elephant. We didn't have any camera (only our mobiles) so didn't want to give it to mahout to make pictures and we said "no". His mood changed dramatically. All the way the other mahouts were loughing at him. Only after we realised that mahouts get tips for making pictures and our mahout was the only one who didn't get any tips :)))
The food was very bad - but no one expected to have a restaurant lunch in such a place.
The hygenic issue is a real issue in such places. Saw a street cat lying on the dinner table (where we have sat for our noodle lunch).
Wouldn't recommend to people who are very sensitive about animals and hygiene.

All reviews
"photo opportunities"
"half day tour"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I rarely right a bad review but DO NOT COME HERE and contribute to the running of this disgusting establishment. My friend and I decided to book an elephant trek with this company at a local travel agency. I was very disturbed by the reviews on here and even more saddened when I actually experienced it. I refused to go to the monkey show but the baby elephants are chained up most of the day and forced to perform. The mahout used hooks and did not treat the elephants well. If they elephants were being ridden on they were chained somewhere where there was little shelter from the sun. The workers do not love or care for the animals here and only use them to profit from them. I would pay extra to go somewhere else that treated their animals well. I really do hope more changes are made in the south that are showing up in the north in Chiang Mai where there are elephant conservations and where the mahout really care for the elephant they are responsible for. The elephants looked sad and distressed and very disheartening to see these majestic gentle giants being used like this.

5  Thank drifting_nomad
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Its not your everyday SAFARI!.. Its more like a rundown elephant park. We went there just for the elephant rides and that was ok.

The staff were friendly but the place needs maintenance.
I just thought that there should be better safety belts or harnesses on the seats ( on top of elephants). My son and I nearly slipped when the elephants were moving downwards and upwards. I had to hold on to my son ( 11yrs old) and the seat at the same time. So be careful if you have young children.

Also, be warned that the mahouts will , halfway thru the elephant rides, ask if you would like to take photos with your own cameras and "politely" ask for donations!! Of course, its up to you??

We did not go for the monkey show..

My opinion, go somewhere else if you can!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had a great time here. We did the half day tour which consisted of the half hour elephant trek, monkey show, King Cobra show, Baby Elephants, Thai cooking and coffee demonstration. We were with young kids who really wanted an up close experience with the Elephants. I didn't see any bad treatment of the Elephants and felt that they were really well cared for. The whole morning was well organised and flowed quickly. The kids didn't have a chance to be bored and loved it.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We were excited to go elephant trekking and see a monkey show (for me, the second time, my boyfriend - first) but this was nothing like I remembered from the last time I did/saw the same thing in Thailand earlier. The animals look unhappy, sad & frightened. The monkeys had chains around their necks and were yanked to their positions, when the monkey didn't do what the trainer asked, the trainer yelled in its face- as a joke - but the look on the monkeys face said it all. This place treat their monkeys horrible, I would and will never ever return to this place. It made me fill ill after watching the monkey show and I regret ever giving them the money or the time of day.
The elephants - they look dehydrated and frightened, although on our trek our tour guide did not use a tool on the elephants ear & used his foot instead (not hard) the tour guide actually jumped off the elephant and walked a fair bit infront for half of the trek, making myself and my boyfriend a little uncomfortable that we were the ones guiding the elephant from the seat at the back.. All & all it is up to you if you wish to attend this safari park but I highly DO NOT recommend it. Note to anyone who does attend: if they ask if you want them to take a photo of you with your own camera/phone the monkey and or elephant, you are required to tip them.

4  Thank Ant3420