“Spicy Thai food in a charming old house”
Review of Raya Thai Cuisine

Raya Thai Cuisine
Ranked #11 of 855 Restaurants in Phuket Town
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Located in the heart of Chinatown in Old Phuket, Raya restaurant specializes in Chinese Thai cuisine. A friend suggested the place and recommended the Fish in tamarind sauce and crab balls curry. We tried the Fish curry and the Shrimps with broad beans paired with fluffy Thai jazmine rice. Be prepared for a fiery, spicy experience...the broad beans had plump, frsh shrimps sauteed in Thai shrimp paste and had a savoury hot taste which went well with rice. The fish curry was delicious and spicy hot with a mix of semi crunchy veggies. The setting is an old Thai Chinese house and the decor showed vintage photographs of family members and old Chinese Advertising posters. The interiors can do some sprucing up but the food is well worth the trip.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Went to Raya based on reviews and it really surpassed our expectations. From the start you know that is going to be a very good meal when you see many local people in the restaurant. Food was really good at a reasonable price, my wife had the prawns spicy salad while I had the pad thai.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Step off the befuddling street into an eye catching wonder of food with flare and the grace of objects made before mass production. If you are staying at a name-brand resort this is a great place to feel and taste some more of Thailand whilst keeping the luxurious feel you desire. Sit next to a fan.

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ate at raya last night after reading the good review in the lonely planet. It surpassed our expectations in every way. This is maybe my 10th visit to Thailand and the food would rank among the best food I've had in Thailand. We ordered the crab curry, the chicken larb and the phad Thai. Servings were huge, we couldn't eat it all. A good tip is to order a coconut as the coconut water seems to calm the spice hit more than beer. 4 beers, 3 huge dishes and a coconut for about 35$ Australian making it a bit on the expensive side but TOTALLY worth it!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

When it comes to Thai dining, I rate this new discovery among my top 3. This very unassuming sino-Portuguese house turned restuarant wedged in between two bigger buildings is a little tough to find with a GPS but once you are there do not be shocked by its simplicity. Pick a table, which might be a missions as it's always busy for dinner and go about ordering. We had the 3 spiced snapper and the crab. I am not much of a shell fish enthusiast but that crab was the best I've tasted. Really great place and friendly staff. Please note that there aren't credit cards accepted and you must bring cash as it's a trek to the nearest ATM.