“Not worth it”

Phuket Fishing Park
Ranked #43 of 112 things to do in Phuket Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: AC's Phuket Fishing Park is the original and Number 1 place to go Freshwater lake fishing in Phuket, Thailand. We have big fish from Thailand and South America including Aligator Gar, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Asian Redtail Catfish, Giant Mekong Catfish, Giant Piranha Pacu, Striped Catfish, Indian Carp Rohu, Siamese Giant Carp, Spotted Featherback, Walking Catfish. Phuket Fishing Parks is a family friendly place and great for kids. It ultimately a fun day out. We have huts for shade and rest. There are staff to help you with bait and landing fish if you need. We can supply rods and fishing equipment. We can also bring you lunch. Most types of food are available. Phuket Fishing Park has a minivan driver that does a round of the hotels. Its possible to arrange this for a morning pickup. Please contact us for details see the Phuket Fishing Parks website.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My partner and I decided to try Phuket Fishing Park as we are both into fishing (particularly my partner) and it looked so appealing. We chose program 2 and paid for two people (one non fishing) and two rods (1 meat 1 bread) which came to 4,500 baht (equivalent to $158 Australian dollars). We arrived at the place at around 9 am and were placed in the back corner of the lake (which we later discovered is the quietest part of the lake) and immediately commenced fishing. In the first hour we had a few bites but no assistance in reeling in/netting the big fish as the guides were overly concerned with the larger groups (probably because they tip better... our guide actually asked us several times to tip him). 11.30 arrived and every group had caught fish with the exception of us. This is not the place's fault at all, however, there should be a rotation period in which groups move around so that everyone has a go at different spots and it is more fair. We also should have received the same amount of attention and care as the other larger groups. At around 1.30 my partner caught his first fish (pacu piranha) and later caught another one and a catfish also. At 3 pm our guide tried to force us to leave despite the fact the place closes at 5 pm. We spoke to the owner and he said to ignore this and keep fishing till 5 if we wanted to. Other groups left so we decided to stay and get a good fish in at the better spots around the lake. At 4 pm, a different guide tried to get us to leave by jumping in someone else's cab...... we did not order a cab and knew full well we could stay till 5. We spoke to the manager about this and he was very apologetic and mentioned it was because they wanted to finish early. While I appreciate his apologies, I do think the staff need to be spoken to/reprimanded.... my partner and I didn't pay $160 to be bustled out of the place early or to be hassled for tips whilst not being assisted with fishing. Other points to mention is that staff kept flicking cigarette butts in the lake (good job keeping it clean for wildlife guys!) and the toilet facilities along with the grounds are terrible and need to be cleaned up. A positive is that the lunch was lovely and plentiful and I do think the owner is great guy but just needs to sort out his staff.

5  Thank Dora101
There are newer reviews for Phuket Fishing Park

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went there with family (4 Adults + 3 kids) in June 2013. We had a total of 4 'bread' rods and 1 'live bait' rod. Between 10.30am and 3.30pm (with 1 hour lunch break), we landed 17 fishes, most of them on the 'bread' rods. Kids had great fun! Will definitely come again.

1  Thank KFKYAP
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Have fished there before three times, never had any problems with bad food faulty equipment just had a great time these people must have never fished in their lives before and shouldn't be so negative towards this great place.

3  Thank 242PeterK
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Very nice place, a nice change from Patong :) fish are healthy and well taken care of.
Recommend going if you have a day free

3  Thank Europcarmalta
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I went here yesterday for the whole day. At first we were going to go fishing on the ocean, but the different packages were so confusing. There was the special giant fish package, or the sail fish package, or the bottom fish package, and on and on. In the end we decided to give this fishing park a try instread.

It's funny the local travel agents seem to not do bookings for the fish park. Manu claimed to have never heard of it. I suspect commission was a factor. We ended up calling the park ourselves and booking the whole thing ourselves through the owner Chris (Australian).

The park isnt cheap. If I remember the cheapest way to go is for 1700 you can fish, but there is no lunch and no pick up/drop off from your hotel. The way to go is get the pick up/drop off + lunch. That's 2400ish for adults.

The lake/big pond where everyone fishes is pretty cool. You get your own little hut, your own Thai guide/helper to show you how to catch fish, a rod each, etc. By 830am or so we had our lines in the water.

The fishinhlg method is quite odd. They use a mix of bread and fish food and pack it in this wire mesh ball. The fish attack the ball which our hook is near. Sometimes they eat all the bait and you get nothing, sometimes you hook one! Frequent rebaiting is required.

One thing that is for sure is everyone catches lots of fish! Between my g/f and I we landed about 20, had a few break the line, and a few spit the hook. It was a lot of fun reeling in the massive catfish! Some we hauled in were well over 10kg! It was just an overall fun day. Everyone was hauling in big fat unly cat fish, taking pictures, kids loved it, it's just a good time all in all.

One thing I should mention is I would not pay the extra 1000 baht each for the bait fishing package. We did, so that was an extra 2000 on the bill. What you get is an extra rod for each paying person, and bait fish on the hook. The idea is to target species of fish in the lake that will only hit on bait fish (alligator guar, etc).

The two bait rods we had only caught one fish all day, and it was just a different species of cat fish. If you MUST take a crack at these meat eaters then pay your extra 1000 baht and give it a go. Most people just got the bread package, and that's all I would get if I went again.

A few other things worth mentioning:
-Beer etc is expensive (100 for a small Singa).
-The provided lunch is alright. Some rice, soup, two stir frys. Not bad.
-Our Thai guide was great. We bouht him a beer and gave him a 200 baht tip. No
idea if anyone else tipped their guide.
-The reels and rods are nothing fancy, and some we used we kind of loose/clunky. Howeve this didnt stop us from landing fish. Remember you are in Thailand and you can not expect to use tje same gear you see on the WFN.

5  Thank OliverKlozoff