“Amazing”

Blue Elephant Phuket
Ranked #13 of 848 Restaurants in Phuket Town
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Royal Thai Cuisine now available in Phuket Town in the century old, Sino-Portuguese Governor Mansion. Open daily for lunch & dinner. Function rooms available. Reservations recommended. Cooking classes for individuals and groups.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I was part of a bigger group and we had dinner there on the 30th of December.
The first impression of the restaurant was just amazing, after driving around in Phuket Town I did not expect such a nice old mansion with a massive garden around. We were greeted upon arrival and escorted to our table. As a cocktail I chose the blue elephant Pina Colada which was served in a fresh coconut and I have to say it was strong but the taste was fantastic.
As starters we ordered several dishes and shared them so that everyone could taste everything which worked out very well. The quality and the display of the food were very nice. On the menu you can see small red elephants on the side of the dishes which indicate how spicy a dish is. We tried dishes with one and two elephants and we all agreed that one elephant is acceptable for a European but two elephants is already very spicy and we were happy that we didn't try dishes with three or four elephants. The restaurant serves traditional Thai food therefore I was happy that their dishes are spicy because it shows me that the dishes were not adjusted for the taste of tourists but represent authentic Thai food which is normally very spicy. The manager who was also speaking french was making sure everything was fine and he went out of his way to take a nice picture of our table. The only thing i would recommend especially in such a restaurant is that the manager once or twice during the meal should approach the tables and ask if everything is fine. The staff knows what they are doing but sometimes there are misunderstandings. There was one smaller issue when the coffee arrived, we asked for cold milk as they brought us hot milk and the waiter said that they did not have any cold milk which was funny.
The only more negative thing is the parking which was not really indicated and we parked where we thought the car wouldn't disturb the traffic.
To sum up I have to say it was an amazing experience and it is worth going there. we will be back for sure even if the language barrier might be sometimes a challenge we tourists should not forget that we are visiting a foreign country.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Was so excited to try this Thai institution famous around the world.
It is situated in the old Governor's mansion in Phuket Town.
The building looked magical and so beautiful. I loved the setting.

Our server was nice and pleasant however the service wasn't good.
We asked that the children's food arrives first. But only two of them got their food. We kept reminding them to bring my son's dinner as well but it arrived 45 minutes later with the rest of the dinners. And we had to keep reminding them about a drink that they didn't bring ( like five times before it finally arrived).

So many things we wanted to order from their menu, they did not have.

The best thing we had was the fois gras which was delicious!

The forbidden beef tasted bitter and really bad. When I asked to return that dish, the guy wouldn't even taste it and just said oh it's supposed to taste that way. It was awful and he should have at least asked a manager to take it back. It's like customer service was non existent here!

Oh and the Mai Thai drink I ordered, had Fanta orange soda in there instead of fresh juices. I was disappointed because I was expecting authentic Thai tastes at this eatery.

All In all it was a waste of my appetite, my time and my money, and I left frustrated.

1  Thank batuma
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is a long overdue review, but to be fair I just have to share my thoughts and experience.

I was looking for a nice place for my mom's birthday dinner and relying on tripadvisor's reviews. People are raving about this place. We took the chance and rent a car. It was the best decision!

Blue Elephant was indeed a delightful dining experience. From the moment we entered the beautiful mansion, greeted by the friendly staffs and enjoyed the fresh dishes up to the last bite.

Just before we left, Kim, the GM, greeted us himself and offered drinks over chat. Apparently they were preparing a super nice birthday surprise for my mom, a big tray of sticky rice with mango. Thai's specialty dessert, our favorite too! As Kim kept us engaged and entertained for the best half an hour, we even forgot to try the sticky rice. Still feel bad about it :(

Overall, it was the best money spent on dinner, worth every cent!

1  Thank cins31
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The Blue Elephant in Phuket (and, we must add, also the Blue Elephant in Bangkok) have the best Thai food we've had. The ambience is lovely and, more importantly, the food is fresh, beautiful and incredibly delicious. We truly can't recommend this restaurant highly enough.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

A beautiful old building with great staff! We came here on a Cooking Class which was very informative, relaxing and enjoyable. The food was a bit spicy so take it easy on the chillies. Wonderful experience!

1  Thank Riëtte B