“Classy & royal feel at Blue Elephant”

Blue Elephant Phuket
Ranked #12 of 845 Restaurants in Phuket Town
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Royal Thai Cuisine now available in Phuket Town in the century old, Sino-Portuguese Governor Mansion. Open daily for lunch & dinner. Function rooms available. Reservations recommended. Cooking classes for individuals and groups.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was at the Blue Elephant Restaurant last week,
the menu is classy and royal. Abit pricy.
The surroundiings since the restaurant was previously the Governor's House,
the serene is peaceful..
This is a place to go for lunch, tea or dinner. try their signature dessert COCONUT FLAN.
Or you can take cooking classe there...
I bought their elephant tea set there.

5  Thank Lanny H

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have often wondered what the result would be if one were to combine the basic ideas of Thai cuisine with modern cooking techniques. I got my answer when I went to eat at the Blue Elephant. The first time, I had the Legacy tasting menu. The second time, I had the Enoki Seafood Salad, Tom Yum Koong, and Black Pepper Prawns. Both meals were excellent. It is obvious to anyone who knows food that the basic ideas of Thai cuisine are full of potential. Its use of ingredients and especially herbs holds a lot of promise. It's no surprise that many Michelin-starred French chefs went to Thailand in the 80's and 'discovered' these ideas. They integrated them into their creations (e.g., Hommard aux herbes Thai). But the Blue Elephant is not about importing Thai ideas but about applying modern techniques to authentic Thai food. And the results are spectacular. For example, one basic tenet of good cooking technique is not to overcook seafood. Here the Blue Elephant succeeded brilliantly. The Enoki Salad came out with the vegetable and mushroom cool but the prawns and squids warm cooked just right. The prawns in the Tom Yum Koong were also not overcooked, which is not easy to do because these are after all served in a hot soup. Clearly, the kitchen staff has learned to time things perfectly to achieve the desired effect.

Both of my meals came to about 60 USD each, including one beer and drinking water. I wanted some dessert after the second meal, again out of curiosity about what modern techniques can do to the myriads Thai sweets. But they had run out due to some banquet they had catered to that afternoon. This is not cheap by any standard, especially for Thailand. But in my opinion, given the quality of the food, the service, and the venue, this price is fully justified. Speaking of venue, the building used to be the mansion of the Portuguese governor of Phuket. It is located in Phuket Old Town where one still finds much Portuguese influence. (At one time, when Phuket was still a tin mining town, it was ruled by the Portuguese.)

8  Thank sd122
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I first went to this restaurant the week it opened. While I was a bit scared of the prices, it was a special night with family so we took the plunge. Although it was an expensive meal by local standards I felt it was money well spent. The manager Kim is a great, friendly helpful guy, and the rest of the staff are great as well. I noticed how while being very attentive they were never 'in our faces', and were quick to meet every request. Very happy staff.

The food was great, a nice combination of Thai and Western tastes, but mostly Thai. Fusion, not dumbed down Thai food for Westerners.

We went back with special friends recently, and were not disappointed. For around 1,300 baht per person we had more than enough to eat, of a huge range of tastes. Excellent food. With as much as we could drink, including imported beers and spirits, the total bill was less than 8,000 baht, for four of us. Again, expensive by local standards, but well worth it.

The Building is magnificent, the staff are friendly and efficient, the food is delicious.

No point comparing the Blue Elephant to cheaper restaurants that also offer good value, they are a universe apart. The Blue Elephant is a full on dining experience. I even wore shoes and long pants. Oh, and a shirt.

If you go, don't forget to ask Kim which special beers he has hidden away.

I have lived here for almost 9 years, and my wife is local. So we know the value and quality of local food, and local service. We will be back, not often as we can't afford that, but I have more special friends coming to Phuket this year, and I intend to treat them also to a meal at the Blue Elephant.

All the best to Kim and the crew,
Mark.

ps, The gift at the end of the meal, of a calendar featuring local children, is much appreciated. The calendar is a fund raiser for kids in need, and is sponsored by the Blue Elephant. Another great reason to eat here.

6  Thank CpnMark
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Disappointed meal, partners meal didn't arrive. We were told kitchen was short staffed and it was the Managers day off - Saturday in February! The restaurant was not overfull. Having eaten my starter I would expect the cutlery to be replached not left for the main course in this venue. My food was so, so.

Having visited the beautiful building in Phuket last year this was a return visit to try out the food. Not worth eating here, expensive for quality of the food.

We have been to other Blue Elephant restaurants - Bangkok and London and enjoyed them.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

A must to vistit while in Patong / Phuket, beauitful building, table settings and of course quality Thai food, can be spicy, just look at the spicy rating. We spent $40 on food for 2 and had 4 meals to share. cheap in my eyes.

3  Thank Saring