“Fantastic New Property in Phuket!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket

The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Phuket Town
Bangkok, Thailand
“Fantastic New Property in Phuket!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

I am a Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Platinium member currently staying at the Westin Siray Bay Resort in Phuket on a scuba diving trip. So far, I've been in this beautiful resort around a week, and I've been favorably impressed both the beauty and the quality of the resort. I plan to stay here at least one or two more weeks! Maybe longer! Honestly, I was a bit worried when I read the Feb 22, 2011 review by KevNYC, who strongly complained about "Elite Member Recognition", because like all loyal SPG Platinum Members we expect the best from Starwood properties; one of the many benefits of Platinum Membership. As a Platinum Member, I was upgraded to a nice pool villa, perfect for relaxing with a cool drink after a long, hot busy day of scuba diving. The GM, Greg Finday, and his number two, Sean Raine, provided a very warm welcome and very personalized service, the kind of service Starwood Platinum members have come to know and love. Also, many resorts do not have a "club lounge" but the good folks at this Westin have created a very nice "happy hour" on the roof top, overlooking the bay, with live music and complimentary drinks for Platinum members (during happy hour from 6 to 7pm). At the moment, I wonder what the "you know what' I am doing writing this review, because the sun set out my balcony over the small, but lovely, plunge pool, is spectacular! In fact, the view is breathtaking (due to the weather)! Admittedly, this expansive resort is only around six months old, so naturally the service needs to be fined tuned a bit, but that is normal; and this is why Starwood properties are so special; because they treat their Platinum members as "a part of the Starwood family"; and our experience and feedback is valuable and much appreciated. All-in-all, the team has done an amazing job in six months! I've stayed in resorts that have been around for many years, and they have not progressed this far, this fast, in service quality. There is room for improvement, naturally, because it takes time to train and fine tune the staff of such a large resort; but the management here truly cares and values our customer feedback. As for me, I have a car, so I like the location; and also, as an avid (passionate!) scuba diver, I like being close to the Chalong Pier where most of the dive boats are docked. In a nutshell, I would not hesitate to stay here again, and more than likely will. In closing, I would like to thank Sean and Greg for the warm welcome and for making this beautiful, new and well designed property a home away from home for me in Phuket; and I highly recommend this fantastic new addition to the Starwood family to all Platinum SPG members!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
westinsiraybayphuket, Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, April 27, 2011
Dear fivestardude,

Thank you for your feedback and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay and platinum benefits. We hope you return to stay with us on your next diving trip.

Sean Raine
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

It is, like all Westin's, a beautiful hotel. The rooms are big and all have nice views (from what i can tell). mine was perched on the top of a hill with amazing view.

There are several pools and all are very nice with good views and you don't feel crowded.

i only have two complaints:
1) location - it's not ideal. the beach is not good for swimming and there is a bit of an industrial thing going on across the water, so you are looking at that all the time. also, it is not too far to get into phuket town with restaurants etc, but the taxi's totally rip you off, knowing you have no other option. so maybe rent a car if you want to go out and about
2) prices. i booked on a promotion so my room was really cheap considering the quality. but what was expensive is the food and beverage. just ridiculous relative to what things really cost in thailand. i would not eat or drink on the hotel grounds. also, they CANNOT make a decent cocktail at the bar. just horrible

all said, i really liked the place and would go back for sure if i could get the promotional rate (i think it was $100-150 US), but would rent a car next time for more freedom.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear tripadviseU,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our beach is swimmable all year round as it is located a bay and we also offer a complimentary shuttle bus to Phuket Town and back to the resort. Our food and beverage pricing is comparable to other five star resorts in Phuket and we keep a track of the trends to ensure we are on par.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our spacious room and amazing views and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Sean Raine
Stanwood, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at the Westin Siray Bay. What a gorgeous resort! Our room was spacious, clean and had beautiful views. The staff was very friendly. The buffet was great...they had a fantasic assortment of seafood.

Happy Hour at the lounge was also very nice too. The lychee martinis are out of this world. The staff at the lounge, (unfortunatley I can't remember their names) were fabulous.

The downside of this resort is that unless you want to hike (our room as at the very top of the hill) you have to wait for a golf car to shuttle you back to your room. A few times the golf car ran out of juice so we had to hoof it back to our room.

The other downside is that it's far from main attractions, but on the same hand it is very peaceful and tranquil so it's a toss up.

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton Grande Laguna for five nights before coming to the Westin Siray Bay...you can't really compare the two hotels. The Sheraton was closer to attractions, had a fanastic beach...but was dated. The Westin is gorgeous, has amazing views and is very relaxing.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JosLynAnd
Dear JosLynAnd,

Warm greetings from Phuket. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the views, seafood buffet and lychee martini, i will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team.

We hope to welcome you back to the resort in the near future.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

Beautiful bay view from every room. Great staff and service.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AsexualSydney
westinsiraybayphuket, Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
Dear AsexualSydney,

Warm greetings from Phuket. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, the team and i look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

Hello fellow Phuket Travelers,

I have a heavy heart about my stay at the Westin. I really wish I took the previous reviews more seriously before booking the stay at this hotel.

First and foremost, the hotel is beautiful! Really nice views from probably each room on the property. However, there are a few things to be aware of before deciding to book this hotel as views will probably be the last thing you see after all the hurdles you jump through.

Location of the hotel is terrible. Unless you enjoy staying at the hotel for the most part in the swimming pools or doing other hotel activities, the hotel's location will cause you grief. The inflexibility of booking the shuttle bus to Phuket town days in advance to guarantee a seat only to be in the nearest town -which doesn't have a beach- from which you need to pay for transportation to be anywhere interesting will ruin your vacation plans. Unless of course you are willing to pay about $50-60/day in transportation fees.

Internet costs an arm and a leg. It's the most expensive internet I've had to pay for, ever. I do realize in Thailand it's probably close to the standard, but with SPG status you'd expect a much much more reasonable fee for internet. Speaking of SPG status, a few of us had to remind the boys at the front that the SPG status entitles us to some "luxuries" such as upgrades, which was a huge surprise to the staff. I would've thought that an SPG property teaches the staff about the SPG program... Other folks I met mentioned the same thing! I was really annoyed by this especially that I booked this hotel specifically for SPG status recognition and benefits.

The kids' club staff is great. Although some of the other employees -who didn't belong in the kids' club- would hang around the club and play with the kids when they clearly shouldn't be. Other than that, my kids had a blast there.

Other guests reported a few problems with the bathroom drains and room smell in the mornings, which surprised me as this was a new hotel and would've expected this problems not to exist yet.

I personally consider my vacation in January to be ruined, because of the fact that I spent most of my time looking for transportation and arranging for being anywhere with attractions rather than enjoying my time and spending time with my girls. As an SPG elite member, I felt so unappreciated and wish I had booked a different hotel as I had no recognition anyway.

Tour desk was so useless as the staff didn't speak any English which left me no choice but to use the travel agency instead. Consider learning Thai before booking this hotel, it's the only way you will be able to communicate properly with most of the staff. I had so much difficulty getting the messages across.

Sleep quality wasn't the best as there was some noise from a neighboring club of some sort that played music until around midnight a couple of times.

You need to resist the urge to book this hotel for SPG purposes. It's absolutely not worth it. The price may be decent, but it will end up costing you more as the closest beach is $25 away -one way-. Book a hotel near a real beach, and save the time and hassle you would otherwise incur as a result of being in such a remote area of Phuket. You have been warned!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank KevNYC
westinsiraybayphuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Dear KevNYC,
We appreciate the feedback on your recent stay and it is good to be able to reply on some of the points you have raised.
Concerning SPG benefits, we do value our Starwoood Preferred Guests highly, and you mention an elite level, but we are not sure what level you are referring to, as we have Preferred, Gold and Platimum and VIP levels. They all have different benefits and our Front Office team are fully trained on this. However the only upgrade levels are Gold, where you are upgraded to a SPG Preferred Room. Platimum and VIP, you are upgraded to best available room at time of checkin. Internet is also included for these 2 top levels. Internet access is also free to all guests in the public areas, however you will need your own laptop or Iphone etc. Internet where charged at similiar level as other Starwood properties in Thailand.
Concerning the Kids Club, thank you for the positive comments and I will pass these onto the team there. They do get support from other members of the recreation team when doing some Kids Club activities and also we may have associates doing child minding for younger children, as requested/booked by parents.
Concerning transport, the taxi challenges of Phuket are well known and apply through out Phuket. This is the reason we do offer a complimentary shuttle service into Phuket Town and we take on your feedback and will look at the frequency of this service during the next high demand period.
English is obviously a 2nd language for our Thai associates and being a new resort, we do have a young team, however we also have an English teacher who works with these associates to improve their communication skills and we apologiise if you found this a challenge.
The music may have been from the local Sea Gypsy Village who did have a celebration in January, however our rooms are double glazed and we were sorry to hear you were disturbed by the music.
We appreciate your comments and will try to improve in the areas you have mentioned and within our control.
Be Well
Greg
Lausanne , Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2011

Listen everyone, all of you who complain about this location and complain about the climbing..... it's no that bad, the resort has everything you'd want and plus, we didn't leave the resort for 4 days, no need and we have kids. The beach was fine, who cares if it's imported sand, changes nothing, besides all the crabs seem to think it's great and have made some nice advances in there home making. Try and catch them. there is some garbage that comes up once in awhile but there is an army of cleaners that control that. You think Patong beach is cleaner... no way. It's quiet and plenty of chairs for all , really recommend going to end of the beach under the giant tree if you have kids, they put a hammock there and some loungers, and it was always available.

We ate in all the restaurants and bars, we really liked EEST. We ate there 3 times, all the staff are great, food was wonderful and the menu is full of Japanese, Indonesian, Thai, and Chinese food, we must of tried all. Kimmy Martini is there house Martini.... great drink
and i can't say enough about the food ...... Pizza from Prego was really good also, and my little girl loved the Pasta, the restaurant had a great breeze every time we ate there(31c everyday) that was pleasant. Average price for the plates in most restaurants was about 8 to 10$, not bad... hey, your in a Westin.

THe pools are wonderful and not that crowded, they pass by with water at the Horizon pool. The pool has a great swim up bar, the beer sing ha costs 5$ , ok ...... it's always cold,
and the views are great, really romantic and the when the sun goes down...... amazing.

Staff...... polite, nice, helpful, charming, interesting, and overall all really pleasant to talk to. Check in was great, the sit you down and then bring some water and a cold towel, nice treat, for you. Westin Kids club.. can't say enough, my little girl loved it, in the afternoon when it was 34c she needed a break from swimming and sun, so arts and crafts are perfect for that and it's in front of the Pool, so you can keep an eye on your kids. You can also go out of the resort if you want and go shopping in Phuket just leave them a cell number. You can also order kids room service for them if you want to leave them something to eat.

Heavenly massage in spa, for 50min, was 70$!!!!!!! I know that it's way cheaper in town, but this is a 5star resort... great price.

Golf carts are everywhere to take you around if you don't want to walk, we took the stairs alot because we wanted to burn of the wonderful food. It's not that bad. keeps you in shape i guess. People complain about the taxi's and the prices.. well yes they are pricey but from resort to town is about 400 baht, to Patong-600baht, airport is 800baht. You must pay return also but the good news is that you don't pay for the waiting, get a driver to take you to the Central Mall the he will wait all day if needed and you only pay the trip not the waiting time. My friend has been living there for 5years and the number one problem on Phuket is the Taxis, its all over not just the Westin. It's a Mafia thing, they don't want to use Meters, like Bangkok. Meter Taxi's are only at the airport. Don't blame the Westin, Blame local Politicians.

My one complaint is that you must pay for WI FI, i hate that.

Be back to Hotel

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Godblesstravel
Dear Godblesstravel,

Thank you for your comments and we are glad that your family enjoyed your stay especially the hammock under the tree on our beach, pasta at Prego and Kids Club. Our wifi is complimentary in all public areas as long as you have your own phone or laptop.

We have shared your comments with the team and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

Overall a great resort if beach is not a high priority...... beach is ok, however during low tide a natural sludge area is visible and you need to walk thru it if you want to swim in the ocean. The resort has 3 very nice pools, great restaurants and plenty organized activities to keep everyone engaged. Staff and service is very good from reservations dept, reception, and service staff, everyone is very welcoming, friendly and efficient! We definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Dutchie46
Dear Dutchie46,

Thank you for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We have passed your comments on to our team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phuket Town
COMO Point Yamu
COMO Point Yamu
#1 of 1 in Pa Khlok
Pullman Phuket Panwa Beach Resort

Been to The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!