“If you're looking for an idyllic Thai beach, this ain't your place.”

The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket
Ranked #3 of 93 Hotels in Phuket Town
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Though the rooms at this new Westin Hotel are well-appointed, the bay on which the hotel was built is filthy and clearly not as "picturesque" as one would hope. The hotel boasts 3 swimming pools and a great (if not terribly overpriced) spa facility, though it is far from town and they, again, overcharge to get you there if you're not pre-booked on their complimentary shuttle that only runs a few times per day. Overall, the sleep quality was poor - I have heard legends about the Westin sleep experience, I was sorely disappointed and I found the mattress to be very soft which made for some restless sleep during my stay. The food is fairly consistent, though the pad thai I ordered from the pan-Asian restaurant on site was the WORST I had in Asia, and of course the most expensive. If you're staying on points, I would recommend it for the "overall experience" - just make sure you get to town for a few meals and take some day trips by boat to Phi Phi or the Similan Islands, which are both incredible - you'll be missing out on a lot of incredibly beach scenery if you stick to the bay itself...

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank ilovenygirl

Reviewed December 29, 2010

We spent the Christmas holiday in Phuket and decided to stay at one of the SPG hotels there. Before the trip, we have done some research online, found that the Westin was newly opened and decided to give it a try. This is actually our first trip to Phuket as well as Thailand. Overall, it was a relaxing and memorable experience.

I would say Westin was one of the highlights of the trip. The staff were very friendly and we were greeted with cool towels and Thai ice tea. Check-in was smooth and the room was spacious and nicely designed. The pools were lovely and views were amazing.

We booked the Phi Phi island deluxe tour and Fantasea show through the hotel and it was very easy and convenient. The tour was great and we also enjoyed the show very much. The price for the island tour was a bit expensive though compared to local companies.

Only thing to improve is the air conditioning and key card system. Many times the air conditioner and electricity were shut down automatically without us opening the balcony door.

We had a rental vehicle and it wasn't too difficult to get to Patong beach and other places of interest in Phuket and get back to the hotel. However, it would be really helpful if the hotel can set up more road signs and provide a more detailed local map for directions.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank littlegodisme
Reviewed December 27, 2010

My short 4 day break over Christmas meant I wanted to stay somewhere I could relax unwind and enjoy a touch of luxury. Westin Siray Bay did the job.
The layout of the resort gives the appearance that it is a lot bigger than it really is. Having 3 separate pool/dining combinations meant there was not too much crowding at any one and the terraced lounging areas were just great. Plenty of sun/shade with views from every angle - very clever design. I have not stayed anywhere with so many choices for places to just hang out and relax as was offered here - and comfort was all around.
I found it much more relaxing just staying around the hotel than trying to fight for a space on an overcrowded beach on the other side of the island.
All our meals were tasty and fresh, plus great value for resort pricing.
Local Taxis were arranged effortlessy for us, and showed up on time.
Being (relatively) young and fit we did not have to depend on using the carts to get around - the stairs were a healthy option to an otherwise effortless break away. I could see at times it was hard for others to get carts but was mindful this is probably one of the busiest periods of the year for any resort in Phuket.
I had read earlier reviews of some of the opening issues so arrived with an open mind.
The sewarge smell mentioned by others was noticed but the explanation given by management was to my satisfaction. I also support their decision not to simply pump the stormwater straight into the bay! In other locations around the whole Phuket Island we did notice this smell also - it is a fact of storm water on the island but we were fortunate our room was high enough up the hill we had no issues with this.
(btw - I have also experinced this smell in, of all places, San Francisco. It's not just a problem in Phuket!)
Insects - yep, I experienced them. But what do you expect when you leave a chocolate cake out... ants just love it! Simply move the trash outside and ants followed.
Using my combination of SPG Points + Cash made this great value for money for my friend and I.
Spa services were not cheap but are amongst the best I have experienced in any hotel or independant spa. Ruk the Spa Manager is very professional and courteous, as were all the staff.
I used the tour desk to book a day trip and found the recommendation great. No flaws in any of the arrangements.
In my experience Thai people are very genorous and gentle - you get back what you give. Phuket is a very laid back place. If you want to start making demands on people, don't expect a polite response back. That has nothing to do with Westin - it's just how people are. They simply do not know how to respond to people yelling at them so please leave your attitudes at home when you go there. It makes my holiday much more relaxing too :-)
I left feeling totally refreshed - purpose met. Already checking the calendar for my next weekend escape.
Thanks Team Westin for a fabulous Birthday and Christmas!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank iwikchik
Reviewed December 26, 2010

Westin Siray Bay is very strategically located with an excellent view of the Bay. The service was excellent and we really enjoyed the stay especially the "Heavenly Bed" that really gives a good night sleep.
Only thing is there are no nearby shops for food. However, you can ask the lobby for the nearby seafood restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2010

We were at the resort last week for a week and we were very disappointed with number of things. The reason we chose this resort was mostly because of it's heavenly bed and of course "The Westin" brand. We stayed in numbers of "The Westin" and this one is definitely our least favourite. To our surprise the mattress was terribly soft my partner pretty much sunk in it. He had restless nights and so did I. I thought this is a new resort and the mattress should also new and firm???

Secondly, we fell ill with stomach issue (suspected bad foods) and vomited. We'd been dining at the hotel everyday so go figure. Pretty much the first 3 days we stayed in the room recuperating.

One of the Tour Desk girl has attitude issue. She never smile and extremely rude. When we booked our Phi Phi trip, she was very threatening. She could remind us politely rather than saying "You come late, you pay me, you pay tour guide!" I believe there is a better way to tell guests that and I'm sure they are trained during staff training. By the way, the trip was not cheap, it costs us around THB4,000 (USD135).

The resort is isolated with gloomy and not so clean looking beach. Plus, it's facing sea gypsy village. So from time to time you can smell unpleasant odour from the village (rotten fish, etc). If you are looking for white sandy beach, this is definitely not the one. By Phuket beaches standard, this is far from decent.

Although the resort provides shuttle van to Phuket town on certain hours, I still find it inconvenient because a few time we couldn't go to town because of fully booked. Of course there are hotel taxis where you pay THB500 (less than 10 minutes journey). Overcharge for such short trip.

We also noticed that the pool side has lacked of music entertainment. It is boring and disturbing when you ended up listening to the same song (probably staffs personal CDs) for hours and hours while you are trying to unwind and enjoy the sun. Some guests had to offer their CDs to the pool bar staffs because of this, which was actually nice. Thanks to the thoughtful guests.

You may find our negative review random but that's the fact. If we returned to Phuket, this resort is definitely not on our list.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
westinsiraybayphuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2010

Dear cahayapagi,
Thank you for your review of the Westin Siray Bay. We can assure you the beds are all new and are the Westin Heavenly Beds. I am sorry that you did not find them to your liking as we get many positive comments on there comfort and guests wanting to purchase their very own. I was concerned on your feedback on your stomach issue. I have not found any guest reports relating to food issues durng your stay . We would take any such claims seriously and would investigate thoroughly. If you have any further information on this claim, I would really appreciate you contacting me at the Westin Siray directly. We do also offer a regular free shuttle bus into Phuket Town and yes it is extremely popular, even after increasing the shuttle servce for the high season. There is however also local taxi's available at THB 300. Thank you for your comments on the music poolside and we have updated the playlists accordingly.
We do appreciate your feedback, as it does allow us the opportunity to improve oure guest services.
Be Well
Greg

Reviewed December 19, 2010

First of all, if you choose Westin Siray, never compare it to any 5-star resort or similar brand such as Inter-continental, Hilton, Sheraton, etc. or, you will be very disappointed as we are. Below is a summary of our comment on the hotel:

Good:
- nice seaview
- nice food at restaurant
- nice gym room
- some staff are very nice and considerate, particularly the concierge staff
- interesting beach with lots of small crabs
- interesting activity programme: aquacise

Bad:
- poor pest control: lots of ants, spiders and mosquitoes inside the room. We made complaints to the hotel and they simply bought in the pesticide and wanted to spray it during the evening time. We definitely refused so and it's hazardous to health to sleep in a room just sprayed with pesticide. And it took about 1.5 hours for us to change another room where we also found many mosquitoes and spiders there.
- bad smell: the first room we checked in was full of sewage smell. Although the hotel took a while trying to fix it, the bad smell came back very soon.
- dirty beach: the beach is simply polluted by the gasoline from the speedboat from the Chalong pier. We could see a black line along the beach. You will not swim there even in high tide.
- staff: about half of them cannot speak or understand English
- not enough staff at the concierge making us wait a long time to go to the lobby (as we lived in up hill)
- wait: you need to be patient enough to wait for the golf cart, the reply from the reception desk, etc. They will never tell you how long you need to wait and will never call back. Our experience is to call them every 15 to 20 mins to check to status or progress and they would ask us to wait again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Feimao
westinsiraybayphuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2010

Dear Feimao,
Thank you for your review including your positive experiences and your feedback for our improvement. We do have weekly pest control treatment in the resort, but we are in a tropical location with a natural environment and many gardens around the resort . Concerning the beach, this is cleaned and maintained daily by our team. Concerning English levels at the resort, we do have an English teacher who conducts English classes for our associates to improve communication throughout the resort, however accents from different countries can be sometimes challenging. With transport around the resort, we are now using local Tuk Tuk to provide a regular shuttle servce around the resort and suplement our golf buggy service as well.
Thank you again for your comments and these have been shared with the team.
Greg

Reviewed December 18, 2010

This is a resort hotel nestled in the hillside overlooking Siray Bay. The rooms are villa style and all have views of the water. There are several pools and outdoor bars throughout the resort. Walking around the resort was one of my favorite activities while we were there. If you don't like to walk or take stairs, the staff will drive you around in a golf cart, although I preferred to walk as much as possible.

This is a stunningly beautiful piece of property and I really like how it's set up. It's not a traditional hotel with a main entrance, lobby, etc The lobby is outdoors - covered but open. They brought us drinks upon our arrival and cold towels infused with aromatherapy. You also receive a towel upon entering one of the several restaurants on-site. My favorite was the mint. Speaking of the restaurants, they were all very good. We ate at the main one for brunch, Asian and Italian once each for dinner. The Italian restaurant is still getting itself in order (food took a while to arrive, etc.) but the staff was nice and the food was excellent.

The biggest consideration when staying here is that this is a true resort and is therefore isolated. It has a slip of a beach on the bay, not the ocean side. If you prefer to be in the midst of the action, to walk out of your hotel onto the beach or the city life, this is not the place for you. You need to take a taxi to go anywhere. The hotel will call you a taxi or you can take the free shuttle into Phuket Town and get a taxi from there (this option is a better value).

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
westinsiraybayphuket, Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2010

Dear msinwdc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and are pleased that you enjoyed the unique layout of the resort and cold towels on arrival.

Your comments have been passed on to the various teams to ensure we improve and refine our facilities and services.

We hope to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 331 in Patong
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!