“Far from patong”

Ranked #2 of 87 Hotels in Phuket Town
Singapore, Singapore
“Far from patong”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Was staying at Westin for 2 days . Was a great stay staff was very friendly and helpful. The resort is fantastic with the nice view from the room . The major problem is very from from town wherever you go it took up to 30mins by taxi .

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Grace C
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Grace C,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with other travelers on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed services from our associates and had a relaxing time staying with us.

Thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you again for a restful holiday in Phuket soon.

Janet McNab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

The resort itself was fantastic. It had amazing facilities, restaurants and the rooms were great. The location was the resort's major problem, as it was in the middle of nowhere and it took 30 minutes in a taxi to get anywhere. The hotel also exploited this by charging much more than anywhere else in Thailand. Also each time it rained the tv would stop working and it was a long walk from the rooms to the reception, pools and restaurants. They had cars that would drive you to your rooms but it was still inconvenient. Overall I had a pleasant stay and besides the location, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Nelson B,

Thank you for your time to post a review on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our resort, the room as well as our facilities.

I am sorry to learn about the television problem. I have spoken to our engineering team to ensure a strong signal and connection in all guestrooms. Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for your recommendation and for sharing your feedback with us. I hope to see you again soon.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed May 8, 2014

PROS:

*Stunning, open views of the sea from many points of the resort

*Beautiful, well-kept grounds in general

*Three pools and three restaurants

*A handful of genuine, kind, and incredibly service-minded personnel that balanced out my experience

CONS:

*The air-condition at breakfast / the Seasonal Tastes restaurant, was a complete and utter joke. Horrible. Staying for nearly a week it was never, ever cold. There might as well not have been air-conditioning at all, but simply fans.

The cheese were melting and the yoghurt room-temperature. We would always opt for a table outdoors because it was "colder" with the occasional breezes than it was inside (note that this is during the hottest season in Thailand.)

During the Hot Pot Buffe (hot pots on each table making the whole matter worse) guests (men, women, children) were literally dripping with sweat, wiping their foreheads. It was most unenjoyable and sometimes unbearable.

How is this normal at a supposedly five-star resort to have guests sweating at breakfast or dinner due to such poor air-conditioning? Why hasn't this been improved or fixed or attended to?

(The other restaurant with air-conditioning had the same problem, though, it was far less crowded there and less noticeable.)

*The resort is incredibly busy, lots and lots of people. The lobby was always swamped and there was often a queue for a buggy to your room

*Commercial vibe rather than high-standard

*Staff were unimpressive, whether it mattered service, hospitality or genuine care. Loud, set in their ways, overly comfortable, nowhere close to genuine five-star service. (Though, a handful listed below deserve a star each)

*Getting your food or even drinks, especially at Seasonal Tastes restaurant, was so slow. Even being the only table

*I'm really confused about the staff uniforms at the restaurants - some wore relaxed judo/jiu jitsu uniforms (by personal preference, the minority had it properly tied around their waist and the majority looked sloppy) and some wore colorful polo shirts. Either way, it gave a very relaxed and informal attitude. Having stayed at many five-star hotels, the uniforms make a huge impression.

*The music at breakfast / Seasonal Tastes restaurant was a wide mix of slow songs and upbeat songs, old favorites, pop and RnB - at a volume a notch too high. This is a busy place with many guests, the higher volume of music the higher you have to speak. It was very noisy to say the least. Again, the kind of music played also gives off an impression of where you're at.

The music at Prego restaurant was very high, as well. Staying at the villa nearby it ruined any peacefulness being forced to listen to pumping music while trying to relax on your terrace.

*The two-bedroom villa interior is very plain and impersonal, with little decorating, no colors, no warmth. Nothing about it was luxurious or fine. It gave off much of an serviced apartment feel where everything is basic and pale.

*The actual sea-view, compared to the panoramic views on the hotel's website, was 90% blocked by trees or other villas. We were informed there are only one villa with a true panorama view. Paying a lot of money for the view and staying at one of the best villas, you expect more.

*Many of the lamps in the rooms weren't working

*The air-conditioning was incredibly and bafflingly loud

*The private pool is 0.8 meters deep, which is very shallow. Not only were you not able to swim because of this, but since it was so shallow it was also warm, being way too warm for a pool.

*Several bugs were found around the villa, dead and alive

*The bathroom had a high ceiling with a frosted window which made it nicely illuminated in the mornings and during the day, however, insects seemed to enter from somewhere in the ceiling because mosquitoes, flies, butterflies, geckos, and various bugs were always found in the bathroom

THE RESORT STAFF THAT LEFT AN IMPRESSION:

*Ms. Wan Front Desk Manager - so genuine, kind, and service-minded. She was amazingly helpful and truly cared for us to have a good experience, despite the shortcomings. Many, many thanks to her.

*Mr. Jackie at front desk

*Mr. Ton at Prego

*Mr. Tong at Seasonal Tastes

*Ms. Gift at EEST

Room Tip: For a panorama sea-view villa with private pool, make sure you get the one villa that offers that.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank KB500
Dear KB500,

Thank you for your time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I truly appreciate your comments. My team and I have reviewed each of the concerns you experienced. The air conditioning unit at Seasonal Tastes is currently being fixed and expected to have the restaurant back to normal service on 13th May. On the service at the restaurant we have shared your comments with the team and refresher training has been conducted. Music at Prego by the Beach has also been adjusted to appropriate volume.

Thank you for your feedback about uniforms for our associates. We have spoken to our team on their grooming as well as having the uniforms according our guidelines. We are also in process of changing the uniforms for our associates and soon we will have a refreshingly new look for our team.

On your comments regarding the villa, our engineering team has double checked the lamps as well as other electrical appliances and ensured they are all in good working condition. The bug issue we also added this to our pest control and cleaning schedule to minimize the problem.

Again, I thank you for your review and encouraging comments on our associates Khun Wan, Khun Jackie, Khun Ton, Khun Tong and Khun Gift. Your feedback has been passed on to the team.

KB500, I do take our guests’ comments seriously as it allows us to review and improve our products and services for our guests. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and hope that you will revisit us again on your next trip to Phuket to show you our improvements.

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Fantastic resort and it is good to be away from Patong for a change. The view from the room is magnificent!
The horizon pool is one of the best to hangout if you are like me who loves to just chill and look at the sea instead of the crazy Patong infested by drunk tourists from Bangla road.

We spent half of our time dining in the hotel and here are my two cents worth.

Prego : Italian restaurant. Same menu as the one I had in Malaysia but to be honest I find it not as tasty, maybe it's my taste bud. Book beforehand if you want to have dinner overlooking the sea :)

Seasonal Taste: Buffet breakfast
I had breakfast only once during my stay as I find it not that appetizing for my liking.
Decent selections of food but again the taste is just bland. I ordered omelette 3x but none is done to perfection and I ditched the idea altogether to avoid wastage.
I would say it's a decent breakfast spread.

EEST: Asian
Lovely. I reached just 15 minutes before the restaurant is closed and the staffs are kind enough to let me order (I think I have that starving look on my face). One of the best meals among all the ones that I had in this resort. Thumbs up to the staffs!!

We drove from the airport to the hotel and getting there is a breeze. We used WAZE to guide us there BUT please type PREGO instead of Westin as someone has checked in wrongly at another place which is totally out of the way. We got it wrong once at night which cost us a sorry 20KM drive.
Tip: When you are at Siray Bay heading up the hill to the resort, you will see Tesco on your left and 7-11 right in front of you with a small U-Turn, take the right turning and go all the way straight and you will find the resort.

Buggy service is excellent! Just dial 0 from your room and the buggy will pick you up and send you anywhere at the resort.

All in all, it was an excellent stay.
A tad bit busy with a group of Emirates staffs checking in and out during my stay which caused quite a bit of waiting at the lobby to get to my room.

Highly recommended to book a car and drive there instead of getting around by taxi which will cost you even more, if you want to explore the city.
Nice place for couple.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BryanLiew
Dear BryanLiew,

Thank you for taking time to provide a review about your recent stay at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket. I am delighted to read that you had an excellent stay.

I am glad that you experienced all of our three restaurants and thank you for your valuable feedback. I have shared your comments with our kitchen team on the points you highlighted as well as your lovely comments on our EEST.

Thank you for recommending our resort to other travelers on TripAdvisor. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

SG
Reviewed May 6, 2014

First off, one always has certain expectations of service standards at the Westin, and this one ticks off all the boxes. To start with, Thais are wonderful people, and when you pair that with the Westin, you know what you are going to get...top quailty service. Right from the start, the front desk staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful. When we arrived, due to the high occupancy, our room wasn't ready, but the staff were very apologetic, and showed us to a lounge where we were offered a welcome drink, and we waited about an hour until someone came to fetch us to show us to our room.

The hotel is situated on a beautiful cliffside, and every room has a seaview. What this also means is that there are many stairs getting to and from your room...thankfully, the hotel provides a buggy service, and we never had to wait long for one of these. We usually walked downhill to the restaurants and pools from our room, and would hop on a buggy back. The little extra we paid to have a pool access room was worth it, as you could literally slip into your own little plunge pool in the comfort of your balcony. The only small problem is that because the plunge pools are shared between two rooms, you are somewhat at the mercy of your neighbour. We loved the fact that the hotel had three pools, as it meant that most of the time, the pools were never heaving with people, and especially nice was the fact that the Horizon pool had little nooks and crannies where you could actually find space to lie or sit in the water and actually have a conversation without feeling like you were sharing the pool with 50 other people.

The rooms are large and spacious, and come with the Westin's Heavenly beds, which are very comfortable if you like soft beds; unfortunately we are more used to firmer mattresses, and ended up getting a back ache after two nights, but that does not detract from the comfort factor.

The restaurants are expectedly a little pricey by Thai standards, but food is of a high quality, and staff are exceptional. We found Jay at the Seasonal Taste restaurant to be a superb host; on the first night, as we could not get a seat at the Eest restaurant downstairs, when we shared the story with her, she immediately offered us the a la carte menu, even though the restaurant was meant to only be serving a buffet meal. Her attentiveness to detail and her cheerful nature made our experience very pleasant. The only little downside is that the Seasonal Taste restaurant's airconditioning is woefully inadequate at all times of the day; otherwise it would be perfect.

Getting from the hotel to town is a short hop by local taxi, which the front desk will very willingly assist to call, as the local taxi stand is right outside the hotel gate. However, be aware that it is a flat rate of 300baht, which we found somewhat expensive. Alternatively, the hotel offers a shuttle into town for 100 baht per person per trip. Bear in mind too that the hotel is far removed from the happenings of Patong (which was one reason why we picked it).

We didn't use the beach, but from what we could see, it was not particularly attractive, especially at low tide. The spa was excellent, and the therapist Ann was very attentive to detail, checking at every stage if we were comfortable, whether the pressure was right, and informing us at every stage of the treatment what to expect.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms are worth the very small extra.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Relakjack
Dear Relakjack,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket and sharing your thoughts with us.

I am delighted to know that our team contributed towards making your experience memorable. Your comments will certainly be passed on our front office team, Khun Jay and Khun Ann. Thank you for your review on the room. Indeed, the room with access to the plunge pool is one of the popular choices.

Thank you again for your kind review. My team and I look forward to welcoming you to our resort again in the near future.

Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I usually review a place after my stay but I have to write something about thia place. Its awesome...my family of 10 drove up from Krabi after 4 nights and this place exceeded my expectations. This is a place where those professional pictures are even better when you're here looking at it for yourself.
Their 24 hr cart service is quick and nice to have so you wont have to walk up hills.
Phuket town is nearby and lively. Their shuttle service is frequent and changes destinations every other day. I shall update after I check out but let me tell you. ..this place is nice.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul K
Dear Paul K,

Thank you for your refreshing comments. It is lovely to hear how much you enjoyed your experience at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket already.

Thank you very much for your note and I hope that you are enjoying the rest of your holidays in Phuket. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Singapore
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stayed three nights at the Westin Siray Bay in Phuket from April 26 to 29. We had a reasonably good time there two years back and thought we'd visit again to relive those lazy afternoons spent swimming and playing table tennis.

The hotel is located in a remote and elevated part of Phuket, offering respite to those tired of the madding Patong crowd. However, it means a long drive to and from the airport and many interesting places on the island. Westin does have a minibus bringing guests to Phuket Town and the Festival Shopping Mall on alternate days at a price of THB100 one way. Do check out the Sunday market at the Old Phuket Town.

Our room was very spacious, with a balcony looking out into the sea. The bathroom had a bath tub and separate shower stall. A small family with kids would be comfortable staying in one unit.

The hotel serves a pretty ok breakfast, with a good variety of hot dishes, fruits and cold cuts. But unfortunately, houseflies are a huge problem. Beware.

We were also disappointed to find the table tennis area converted into a souvenir shop, but I suppose some guests wouldn't mind that.

Our second stay at the Westin Siray Bay hasn't been as memorable as the first although the sea view from our room was very nice. The property is also beginning to show signs of age. Most importantly, flies at the dining area are not only a major irritation but also a health hazard. We most likely won't risk coming back unless something is done about that.

Room Tip: Rooms at the highest part of the hotel offer good sea view but a tiring walk to and from the hotel l...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dave W
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Dave W,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket on your second visit and sharing your feedback with us.

I truly appreciate your comments as it allows us to review and make improvements for our guests in the future. On your feedback about the flies, we have taken extra precautions to remedy the current situation by carrying out further fogging and misting around the restaurants and surrounding areas.

I hope you and your family enjoyed the rest of your stay in Phuket and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phuket Town
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 321 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,355 reviews

Been to The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!