“Paradise, minus the beach”

The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket
Ranked #2 of 87 Hotels in Phuket Town
“Paradise, minus the beach”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The Westin Siray Bay is a beautiful resort and we enjoyed our stay there very much. Here's a breakdown of what you need to know:

Location: Secluded - good for just relaxing at the resort, not great for exploring local life. Not really that much around.

Rooms: Large and spacious. We got upgraded to a suite, which was HUGE and had a great view of the ocean.

Pools: Beautiful, clean, and well maintained. One of the highlights!

Food: Average. There's not really much else around the resort, so you sort of have to eat there. They do have several different restaurant options to provide variety. They're all pretty pricey of course. Prego, the Italian restaurant was decent. Seasonal Tastes buffet was not that great for dinner. Breakfast had a pretty good spread of options.

Beach: The ocean is literally in your backyard, but the beach itself is small and disappears for most of the day. The water recedes quite dramatically with the tide, so you're left with muddy sand for half the day. Enjoy the pools, but don't come here for the beach.

Spa: Heavenly spa was indeed, heavenly. We very much enjoyed our massages here. Facilities were beautiful and clean and the staff did a good job - I didn't feel like a piece of dough being kneaded, and I didn't feel like she was trying to kill me. Well-balanced massage and very relaxing.

Atmosphere: This is what you pay for. The atmosphere is amazing. You really feel like you're in your own world. Beautiful and relaxing.

Extra: If you're an SPG Platinum member, you get to enjoy a complimentary Happy Hour on the roof. This was excellent and they bring you some delicious appetizers too. Non-Platinum members can also enjoy paid drinks (but free apps I think)

We would definitely recommend Westin to friends - Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grace T
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Grace T,

Thank you for your time to post a review about your recent stay at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket. It is wonderful to know you enjoyed your stay experience.

Thank you for highlighting the services and facilities you particularly enjoyed and sharing it with other travelers here. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again in the near future.

Janet McNab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The best family holiday we've taken to date. This hotel was spot on in terms of views, amenities for my wife (spa), children (play room and babysitting service), food (both restaurants and room service options), and service. If you're planning to stay in Phuket and want a top notch, relaxing holiday with your significant other or family a comfortable distance from the noise of Patong Beach, I highly recommend this resort, particularly the Discovery Suite with a small private pool which was awesome for children and late night dips. Easy to get taxis or tuk-tuks to and from Patong Beach, Kata Beach (personal favorite), and some other locations on the island. Everyone in the staff was very warm, welcoming, and genuinely interested in your happiness and went to extra lengths / special requests for our 2 year old son.

Even as a Starwood member, I typically do not reviews of every place I stay at, however, the Westin Siray Bay was an exception! Well done!

Room Tip: Discovery Suite, well worth the extra money! =)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear KevInBrooklyn,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket. It is fantastic to hear that you and your family had a great time staying with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback. It is rewarding for our team to learn that our guests felt well looked after and recommended our resort. I hope that you had a comfortable stay and look forward to seeing you again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I spent 4 nights at this hotel and I was a very happy guest. The grounds are absolutely stunning and I enjoyed going to each of the pool areas. Each one was unique and never felt crowded. My room was upgraded to a suite and was very nice. The hotel is located on a side of a hill but it was very quick and easy to get a buggy to take you around. The breakfast buffet in the morning was very good with a large number of different options but I was very disappointed with the dining options for dinner. Prego and EEST were absolutely terrible meals. The food was hardly edible and the staff was poor as well. I found it odd that the dining staff were slow and inept because every other person I met at the hotel was lovely. The SPG assistant, Ploy, provided us with absolutely fantastic service and is a real asset to the resort. I just wish the management would dump the dining crew and start again, particularly since this resort is remote so it is expensive and time consuming to go get your meals elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John L
Dear John L,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor and choosing The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket.

I appreciate your positive feedback and am glad that you enjoyed our facilities, pool and our room. Your encouraging comments on our associate will certainly be passed on to Ploy and the team.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at the restaurant. Rest assured I will discuss with our team on how we improve our services.

Thank you for your time and I hope to see you again in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I travelled to Phuket as a solo traveller in Mar 2014 and had a lovely time at the Westin. The food at the Asian restaurant EEST was excellent (esp since I didn't want to venture out of the hotel), the Thai food was delish and the international breakfast buffet spread was pretty good (egg white omelets, french crepes,etc). There was always a friendly face at the restaurants and I was greeted with such warmth.

It was a nice surprise to find out that I was still a Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) after so many years and I was given discount vouchers at the Italian restaurant, Prego's (I didn't dine there 'tho).The hotel is situated on very hilly grounds so be prepared to walk, alternatively, you can call for a buggy to pick you up (buggy service is very prompt) and they'll take you nearly everywhere. I overheard that other guests were bitten by insects (I wasn't) so its a good idea to ask the staff for insect repellant since its available.

My room overlooked the sea (unfortunately the trees blocked 50% of the view) but the room was very spacious and bright. The furniture was quite worn and old, but the heavenly bed and pillows made up for the lack of shine. My only complaint was the tiny house gecko and the small centipede that appeared one night but the hotel is in a forested area so I can't expected it to be lizard/insect free. My bathroom was clean and the rainfall shower was something I really looked forward to. There is a slight smell in the room but I think its the detergent that is used to clean the rooms.

Most of my afternoons were spent at the Horizon pool because its just so blissful. Pool staff are polite and smiley, that always helps. I used the gym as well (small but well equipped) and was pleased to learn that for a small fee you could rent running shoes.

I highly recommend this hotel for anyone, business trips, solo travelers or families (they have a great Westin Kids Club). Do note that this hotel is far away from the city and Patong beach so it will be expensive to travel out and it took me 65mins to get to the airport on a Friday afternoon (expect heavy traffic).

Room Tip: Make sure that when you ask for sea view, you are given a room with no trees obstructing the view. A...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank SherylFrances
Dear SherylFrances,

Thank you for your time to post a review and for choosing to spend your holidays with us at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket.

I thank you for sharing positive feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the services and offerings we provide to you. I hope you had a lovely time relaxing by the pool.

Regarding your comment about view from the room, I will certainly investigate to see what we can do about the trees to provide the best possible ocean view for all of our guests.

Thank you very much for your recommendation and I hope to welcome you again soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Siray Bay - really pretty from afar in the early part of the day, but once the water starts to recede you notice how dirty it is and how little there's left for you to swin in.

This hotel is in desperate need of a remodel. Our villa with the private pool had an amazing view and was always very clean after the housekeepers visit. However, the pool was falling apart! This is in terms of the tiles in the pool. Everyday a new tile would come off. When walking on the grounds, I noticed that some of the stones on the bottom part of the Horizon pool were loose and even shaky. If you looked above at the ceiling of the outside ledge of the roof, there was chipped paint. The list goes on...

Location - very far and you have to rely on the shuttle with scheduled times and the need to book your seat. Not convenient. You can take a taxi but who wants to deal with that all the time.

One thing that I must say that I enjoyed was the wonderful breakfast buffet! The bad thing about this were the fruit flies surrounding the grapes. Not appetizing.

The pool boys were also very nice and the Horizon pool was a lot of fun to play in and enjoy the sun.

Room Tip: Get your own villa with a private infinity pool close to the Horizon pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Daniel F
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Daniel F,

Thank you for your time to provide a review. We much appreciate your feedback as it assists us with our ongoing efforts to improve and renew our resort.

We have taken our guests’ feedback on board regarding the conditions and are currently undertaking enhancements which include resurfacing of the pools in our pool villas with new tiles.

I thank you for your comments and would like to invite you to experience our renewed resort should you plan to return to Phuket. I look forward to seeing you again.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Property and pictures looked good but it stops there. 45 min drive from the airport. Checkin is at 3pm, we arrived at 5pm and our room was not ready. We waited 30 min at the desk and then another 30 in the lobby. They gave us free wifi and a glass of cold juice but we just wanted to unpack and relax by the pool before dinner, that didn't happen. Our room had a view of trees, hardly the ocean. In order to get anywhere you need to wait for a golfcart so if your in a rush, forget it. There was no sign in the lobby indicating there was a private event at the italian restaurant so we were turned away. The Seasons restaurant has poor customer service and a long wait. There were multiple miscommunications with the front desk staff when questions were asked. We asked for the shuttle to old phukettown from the driver and the front desk, we ended up at a huge deparment store for 3 hours, extrememly upset as we reserved this time for boutiques, art gallery's and good restaurants. The room was very large however not as clean or updated as it should be. There was mold everywhere and a funky smell from the toilet room. The toilet seat was very used, it was orange. The pools look great however there is limited seating. Horizon Pool was full by 8:30AM. Splash Pool had many tiles missing but the restaurant there had great drinks, very pricey though. 600BAHTS for 2 fruit juices. The best kept pool is Prego and the food/setting is the most great. We had an excursion booked early so we ordered room service at 4:45 AM as the restaurant wasn't open, however the breakfast took over 1 hour when it should take 45 min and we hardly got a bite before having to leave. This location did not meet our expectations which was extrememly dissapointing for our honeymoon. Hotel needs a major customer service training session and some reno's so it doesnt look so run down.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Unbelizable11,

Thank you for your feedback about service and experience at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket.

I would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during checking in and the cleanliness in the room during your recent stay. Please rest assured that we are making every effort to address your comments as well as to improve stay experience for all of our guests.

I am also truly sorry to hear about services of our service shortfalls which I have shared with the team so that we can make improvements to our service and communication.

While I cannot turn back the time on your disappointing experience I would like to again apologize as we have not met your expectations on this visit. However, I would hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to restore your faith in our service and property.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Wonderful, friendly staff, great facilities and great views....excellent.

Resort is let down by poor maintenance - tiles missing in pool, mold/bad paint on exterior of accommodation block walls.....but this is very minor.

Will definitely go back and can recommend!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 321 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,355 reviews

Been to The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!