“BAD MANAGEMENT!!!”

The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket
Ranked #4 of 90 Hotels in Phuket Town
Reviewed August 21, 2013

1. the closure of the Horizon Pool without notice when I first booked my dates.
2. waited 30 minutes for check-in.
3. assigned me to a room with thousands ants on the floor, and a rotten cake saying "Happy Honeymoon" on the table with someone else's name on it.
4. changed me to a room with a garden view (we booked a sea view room).
5. changed again to another room with no toothbrushes and had a broken bathtub.
6. impolite morning shift concierge who just assigned an engineer to fix the tub, but the tub wasn't fixed at all.
7. waited 10 minutes for a toothbrush set...
8. the second morning, there was water dripping from ceiling. Half of the floor was flooded.
9. impolite chef when I showed him that the cheese on the breakfast table was covered with ants.

If they hadn't upgraded us to a better room for the rest of our stay, we would have been so disappointed about the WESTIN name.

2  Thank goemonate
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear goemonate,

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments are important to us as it helps us in our ongoing efforts to improve product and service.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointments about the problems you encountered with the room. I will personally address the concerns you have raised with our team to make future improvement for future guests.

I appreciate your feedback and hope that these isolated incidents do not detract from you providing us with another opportunity to restore your faith in The Westin Siray Bay.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket

999 - 1,005 of 2,036 reviews

Reviewed August 20, 2013

An awesome experience throughout our stay at this resort. From the time we checked in till we checked out, the staff made sure that we were provided with excellent service. Had so much fun during our stay!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank KittyCoolness

Dear KittyCoolness,

Thank you for your comments. It is always our pleasure to have provided our guests with a level of experience that is expected when staying at The Westin Siray Bay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Phuket in the near future.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

There were round of struggling and late night sleep of checking all hotels in Phuket via tripadvisor, Agoda, Expedia and other travel website. Trust me, please don't ever do that again as you are just simply stressing up yourself before even relaxing for your holiday, holiday should be total stress free, not to mention planning it. Just nail few and decide one! :)

Flight Booking and Hotel Reservation

Initially, I skipped The Westin Siray Bay because of no free in room Wi-Fi service as I am a travel blogger through facebook. After round of viewing and browsing, my wife decided, let's go for Westin and book it, well, it's our honeymoon and I just want her to be happy and enjoy herself much, therefore I booked 3 nights stay via Agoda. Take not here, do check out Westin official website as they are giving out even better deals sometimes compare to other online travel portal. Remember to inform Agoda that you are a honeymooners if in case you are. I purposely bought the lowest price deal without breakfast included to test how hotel can surprise us as a honeymooners. Before we arrive the hotel, I really wish that I can give some surprise to my wife, but I need help from the hotel side. I tried to send email via Agoda to hotel but it failed. I searched for The Westin Siray Bay email, and sent them some requests if possible to be done and my wife would be very pleased. The Westin take some time to reply but it’s bearable. The GM of Westin will send you a templates welcome email and information about Westin and Phuket weather forecast and etc, about 2 days before your arrival.

Drive to The Westin Siray Bay from Phuket International Airport

I rented a Nissan March through a smart-phone apps, Kayak. Later will put up another review of driving around in Phuket and car renting guide. The drive from Phuket International Airport to The Westin Siray Bay was smooth and kind of easy for me, just prepare to drive for about minimum 45 minutes.

After went through highway, some small roads passing through nice sceneries, we reached our destination, The Westin on Siray Island. Drive up the slope passing through Westin big signage and guards, yes, it's guarded with barricades, but the guard will let you in if you just tell them you want to check in to hotel.

The First Impression

I stopped my car at side of the main lobby, near the buggy and concierge counter, after about 2 minutes, one of the concierge guy, Yune, came to us and help us, nice helpful guy and please take note that for Westin personnel, they speak English in overall but some speak fairly and some is better, therefore you will find that they sound rude but actually they are not. Please talk slower to them in English or show them what you want and everything will be fine.

The Helpful Concierge

Yune helped us to take our big baggage down, then arrange our rented car to be placed nicely in carpark. And concierge person will hand you a baggage and car tag.

The Check-in – Part 1

At the front office and check in counter, we met another helpful guy named Rodtung, he was friendly and he was the one that helped us to check in, while another lady from front office served us the towels and welcome drink. Since our flight arrived in Phuket International Airport at 5.30am early morning, when we reached hotel, it was only around 7am. I talked to Rodtung to assist us in early check in, he said he already tried but yet the room that arranged for us still occupied by current guest as it was early morning. While we were discussing options, another guy named Alexandir came into the picture and asked me how can he help. Well, he sound a bit sudden and less polite to me while I requested again to him about early check in. Well later I found out probably it was his English conversation skills. After some checkings, I told hotel side that I don’t mind to pay half day for just letting my wife to rest well before move into our destined room, but hotel side said it was 100% occupancy, fully booked situation, but later I found out it wasn’t a 100%. My wife were brought up around hotelier, since his father was a former GM hotel and resort, therefore we tried to be understanding and think from the point of view of the hotel. Later, Alexandir said he will try to help us with the check in and Rodtung suggested us to come back and check at 11am. He offered me to sign up for SPG, Starwood Preferred Guest program to enjoy more offers and earn points while staying in SPG hotels which I think he was efficient because while later I was having my breakfast, I already received an email to welcome me as new SPG member. My wife, Mel then suggested probably we just go to the hotel restaurant to have a breakfast while waiting for time to pass to check in. I thought hotel would give us a complimentary breakfast but they charged us 550 Thai Baht per person instead of 750 Thai Baht. Now, the price I shown here was my personal experience, the price might be varied depending on the period, please don’t into dispute with the hotel and show them my review. ;)

The Amazing Breakfast Buffet

In Seasonal Tastes Café, we met another 3 nice and friendly waitress named Pam, Milky and Benz, especially Pam, she remembered most of the guest’s name! One of the guest was amazed by her and she treats children well I can see, therefore children love to play with her too. We like to talk to Benz too as she is very bubbly in person. While we were having our amazing breakfast at Seasonal Tastes Café after our Herbalife shakes, yes, The Westin Siray Bay does served one of the best breakfast buffet I had taken before! You have to really take note on how they served their honey for the fried on the spot pancakes counter, I never seen this in another star rating hotel before. They served out the whole honeycomb in a special rack, the honey just drop slowly into the bowl below the rack, it was amazing, well at least to me. The menu of Seasonal Tastes and in room service were quite health conscious, I like their idea of Superfood FX concept as me and my wife work as a Personal Wellness Coach, we coach people to be healthy by eating balanced nutrition food, moderate exercise and live a healthy lifestyle. For example I love the fruit juices mixed and smoothies that were made by 100% fresh fruits and veges. There was also some Indian food at the corner, taste good as well. One of my favourite was they served 5 type of cheese at the salad bar, I can’t remember which type but there’s cheddar, blue cheese and etc. Alexandir came to my seat at 8.47am to inform us that our room is ready to check in! Thumbs up here for hotel side because me and my wife were exhausted at that time and really need some sleep before exploring Phuket.

The Check-in – Part 2 Surprise Early Check-in and Complimentary In Room WiFi Service

When I got back to front office, Rodtung saw me and immediately help me to check in and arrange our key cards. I purposely told my wife to sit on the sofa at lobby so that I can talk to the hotel for offering some surprises to her. I asked Rodtung about room upgrades and I don’t mind to pay more for the upgraded room but he said it was fully booked, and he said actually our room was already upgraded which I wasn’t too sure. Now there was a plus point here that remember I skipped this hotel because it doesn’t provide free in room WiFi? Rodtung told me that their in room WiFi service are now free of charge in order to compensate the noise and the renovation of one of the pool, which is Horizon Pool at the side of Seasonal Tastes Café. What a real great surprise to me for free Wi-Fi!
Bear in mind that The Westin Siray Bay in Phuket is a big resort, it has lots of room and suites placed on different slope and uphill, therefore buggy services which managed by concierge play an important role for you to tour around the hotel.

The Surprises in The Room – Part 1 The Love Swans on The Bed

Our room numbers was 4214, placed at the uphill of the right(north)side from main lobby if you are facing the sea view, not too far from the main lobby though. We were kind of amazed by the interior design, architecture and the engineering which design and built this whole resort because the entire Westin Siray Bay were placed on top of a uphill, slope at the side of a bay. You should see how beautiful it can be during sunset and night time. Each block made up about 3 rooms and suites, reached our block, went 1 floor down and there’s our room at the front end. 2 of our room access card wasn’t working but the helpful concierge guy used his access card to open the door for us first and he told me he will be back with the valid cards. While waiting for our access cards, the first thing we saw were the surprise on the bed for honeymooners. Whoever helped in making up the 2 lovely swan, I wish the management that read my review can send our appreciation to them once again. The room we stayed in should be Deluxe Sea View with balcony, I am not too sure on this because front office told me our room had been upgraded. It was a wonderful room equipped with a L shape open-air balcony that big enough to put 2 comfortable woven beach chair and a lazing sofa bed with 4 nice pillows. There’s also a 42 inches LCD TV with some channels, as a honeymooners, we seldom turn on the TV; A fridge filled with drinks, drawer filled with snack, red wine and etc. We do enjoy the spacious bath room with rainforest shower head and a normal shower head, the bath tub for bubble bath placed at the side of a window with remote control auto blind.

The Surprises in The Room – Part 2 The Chocolate Mousse Cream Cake

While we were resting, suddenly there was a guy trying to open our room door and we were lucky that we latched the door. Later I asked the house keeping guy, Rak, why he came in to our room without noticing us? He apologized and told me because he wanted to send us the surprise cake to wish us Happy Honeymoon, he thought we weren’t in the room and he can’t ring the door bell as we had put the sign to Do Not Disturb. Well, I accepted his apology as I know he wasn’t on purpose but later when I called hotel to send me towels, that guy did the right thing by calling Service Express personnel to call us to open the room door, instead of just using their access card to get into our room.

Asking for Direction to Phuket Town

After resting on the heavenly bed®, we felt rejuvenate and ready to explore Phuket further. We went to lobby and ask the Service Express counter girl named Misami. She was also friendly to us, since she is from Japan and she didn’t drive in Phuket, she refered us to another friendly and caring girl named Ooey. Oeey explain to me patiently on how to get to the Phuket Town area with foods, souvenirs and a shopping mall named Robinson. What made us feel warm were her reaction when we reached back the hotel later at night, she came out and her face look relief telling us she was so worried that we can’t get back to hotel. Thank you for her care again here.

The Westin Heavenly Spa and 3 swimming Pools

If you wish to explore around the Westin, do request the concierge people to drive you around the whole hotel. It took about 15 minutes for us to glimpse through the area. The buggy ride brought us passing by Heavenly Spa by Westin™, from far you can see the spa clearly because there’s a big cocoon placed as a decorative interior design item above the spa’s reception, quite nicely done. At the left is the Heavenly Spa, at the right is Prego Restaurant by the Beach, which is an Italian Restaurant and Café overlook the sea and the beach, with a pool named Prego Pool. There’s another pool named Horizon Pool which is under renovation located at the side of Seasonal Tastes Café Restaurant. An infinity pool named Splash Pool which located at the 24 hours Westin WORKOUT® Gym , at the side of a bar lounge named Splash. We did some swims at our last night in the hotel, when the down pour came, we went into the bar, ordered for 2 refreshing drink which served by 2 friendly guy named Popper and Aek. By the way, 5.30-6.30pm is their happy hour, you order a drink, they will give you another exact drink for free, buy 1 free 1 same drink. We spend some time to chill out at outdoor seats and looking for the splendid sunset. We would like to walk back to the main lobby later and we asked them for umbrella but they don’t have any in the bar, therefore please remember to placed some umbrella at different part of the hotel especially the monsoon season.

Dinner at Seasonal Tastes Café Restaurant

We were having a great evening there in Seasonal Tastes not because of the food, the food were fair but not up to the standard of their breakfast buffet. Especially we ordered a Tiramisu from Prego by the Beach, we expected a Tiramisu from an Italian restaurant should taste authentic as a Tiramisu should be but it wasn’t. We were having great time because of the friendly waitress and server around us, especially a girl name Jay. She is attentive, helpful and very friendly to us. Thank you Jay.

Service Express Key on Room Phone

Another features I like is the Service Express key which most of the hotel are lack of. Whatever you need to ask from hotel, if you aren’t sure which department to call, just simply press the Service Express key and they will done it all for you. But there was one time I was requesting for hand soap, actually I requested personally at front office, a friendly and attentive guy named Rooddy was there to help us, but maybe they don’t get me right and they had given me 3 times body wash instead of the leaf shaped hand soap. However, I think this was just a small communication barrier and wasn’t a big deal but remember to mention your request clearly, double check the things they sent to you and everything will be fine.

Vicinity and Surroundings of The Westin Siray Bay

If you wish to do island hopping tour to Phi-phi, Tonsai Bay and some islands, there’s a pier named Ratsada Pier just 5 minutes drive from the hotel. Drive out from The Westin, first junction turn left, please note that road sign only avail at the reverse side of the road when you driving in to The Westin. Road sign stated Tukkae Cape and Sea Gypsee Village. I would say, if you plan to rent a car in Phuket which I highly recommended, then The Westin can be convenient for you. Phuket Town is just 15 minutes drive away but please take note it’s confusing when you drive at night, make sure you do remember some landmarks and places along the way.

The Conclusion and Overall

The Westin Siray Bay is truly a great and beautiful breakaway place for couples, honeymooners if compare to family with kids and old folks as it’s big and mostly uphill and staircases. Location might be very good for certain people but some people might found that Siray Island is a bit isolated from Phuket happenings and hustle bustle. Well, it all depends on your own liking and preferences. For us, we would definitely return back to The Westin Siray Bay as we found love and caring around there.

3  Thank JackFKW
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear JackFKW,

Thank you for your comprehensive review and sharing valuable insights with other travelers here.

I truly appreciate your recommendation on our resort and am glad that you enjoyed the honeymoon arrangements, service from our team and dining experience.

Should you plan for another restful holiday, my team and I are here to welcome back to The Westin Siray Bay.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

we stayed there for 1 nights and got our own house in the resort. Its Westin standard. The place is beautiful and the buffe breakfast was amazing. Despite the poor weather we really enjoyed our time there in the area and in the hotel pool. The only downside is its located far away from Phuket city. May be nice if you want to stay away from the crowd out there and just be in the hotel. If you want to explore outside the hotel further you have to either rent a car or take a cab out.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Michael N,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay. It is wonderful to know that your stay experience was enjoyable and that you had a relaxing time with us.

Once again, thank you for your recommendation. I hope that we will see you again soon, hopefully for a little longer.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We spent our first 2 nights in Phuket at the Westin. The resort was absolutely breathtaking. It is remote and on the bay so the water isnt great, but its a great way to enjoy the resort and unwind. We were upgraded upon check-in to a Deluxe room with sea views complimentary. Since we arrived really early in the morning, they were kind enough to give us a room at just an additional 50 dollars. The room was spacious and had stunning views of the bay from the balcony. I loved the huge window that separated the room and the bathroom. The pools were amazing and so was the staff. The breakfast spread was really big and I loved their healthy smoothies that were in small jars at breakfast. We ate at the hotel and loved the food and not so expensive as other Westin's around the world. We took their shuttle to Phuket town once, which was really convenient. It was honestly, the best way to begin our trip. They even arranged our boat tickets to Phi Phi, at a much lower cost than advertised on other websites. Will definitely return.

Dear Mehereen,

Thank for your wonderful reviews about your recent stay with us. I’m pleased to know that you had such a memorable stay experience at The Westin Siray Bay.

It is fantastic to hear how much you enjoyed our room, the stunning views from the balcony and our buffet breakfast.

It was our pleasure to serve you as our guest. I hope to welcome you back to our resort again in the near future.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We arrived for the first time in Phuket with our 4 young children and found this a great place to stay!

The rooms are spacious and well kept. The service truely very friendly (though they spoke fair english), very sweet and caring towards the children and very child oriented, with a nice kidsclub.

The restaurants where fine, the Italian actually really good!). The location beautiful! We had a wonderful time and would recommand this hotel to anyone travelling with, or without, children.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear FeNiBenAl,

Thank you for your fantastic review. It is great to hear that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you for your kind comments about our restaurants, rooms and service from our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Siray Bay again soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Where do I begin....We arived today from a true 5 star hotel, 137 Pillars in Chiang Mai. We arrived at the entrance area to the front desk. None of the staff greeted us, or even made an effort to approach and direct us to the front desk. When we go to the desk, a woman did get us a glass of juice and a cold towel. The front desk went through the map of the property, and a "sales pitch" for a meal plan for our kids meals. We then got on an over sized golf cart, for a wild ride to our room, which was substantially far from the restaurants and super far from the gym. Everything on this property has tons of stairs and steep slopes to walk on. It happened to be raining, and everywhere we went there were leaking ceilings, poor conditions in the exteriors, and the hallways and rooms smelt of mold, rotting and decaying matter. A musty smell in the rooms, followed by visual mold on the base of the sinks in the bathrooms, cracked floor tiles on the deck, and furniture that looked like it had been used for years in a college dorm room are just a few of things that will await you staying at this property. We decided to go to the Prego restaurant in the hotel.....The lobster pizza was a thin crusted, soggy mess of cheese, with minature lobster tails that you'll find in the back of a typical outdoor Thailand market....frozen at that! We ordered foot long hot dogs, also gross, but we expected that from hot dogs. Calamari was ordered as an appetizer, it came to the table after we had finished our meal! The cost for the "fine" cuisine of two hot dogs, one "lobster" pizza, a kids salad, and two kids spaghettis was $110.00 US Dollars! Oh it must have been the three plain ice teas, and the three Thai iced teas... After the meal we decided we couldn't stay here for another night, and made other arrangements. We caught the golf cart to our room, as it was raining outside. The driver didn't even get out of the cart to assist my wife into the cart which had plastic drapes with zippers. He couldn't be bothered with any kind of customer service. The pictures of the property are very decieving...they look great, but reality is that the property is on a hill, high above the "beach", which by the way s a bunch of rocks. The view from the gym is great...but you have to be a goat to get to it from your room. My sons and I love crossfit, so the climb works perfectly! Be ware of those reviews that rate this property as a five star! Wow, I wouln't even give it a 2.5 rating, and that's generous. We definately won't be back, and we hope our experience and writing about it discourages others from wasting their vacation time here.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jason A
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Jason A,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us as it gives us an opportunity to review and improve our service and facilities.

I was most concerned to learn of the disappointment you experienced, more specifically the service level from our buggy driver. We pride ourselves on personal service and taking care of our guests and I do apologise that we have not done so on this occasion. Rest assured that I have spoken to our concierge team for immediate attention and action.

I am also disappointed to read your comments regarding the exterior building conditions. I thank you for the feedback so that we improve and do better next time. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused.

Whilst I cannot turn back the clock, I do hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to restore your confidence in our resort and services.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phuket Town
SALA Phuket Resort & Spa
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach
Sri Panwa Phuket Luxury Pool Villa Hotel
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!