“Not a good experience in this hotel, I'm sorry to say....”

The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket
Ranked #4 of 90 Hotels in Phuket Town
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I want to be fair to the hotel. I'm a starwood member, and had been to many of starwood properties. My rating is aligned with the expectation of the hotel. I stayed here for 2 nights, 3 rooms for our whole family. The problem happen to my room only. but it is the very bad and unresolved problem about the very stinky smell from the toilet, which the smell spread all over the bedroom. I can feel it since my first step in the room, then I called to fix. The housekeeper came and sprayed perfume. 10 mins later, it's stinky again. So I called and tell them to fix again in the morning. After I came back, the smell is still there (very strong smell of... you know, the toilet). I called and they said sorry, can't fix, can't change room cause it's full (even can change, I don't want to, I have too many stuffs..). Do you think it's suitable to sleep in a toilet-smell-room?

My suggestion is, this is a 5 star hotel. They should not even give me that room.

Good thing about this resort:
- Very beautiful external decoration, fountain, bridge...
- View from the room is sea view
- Beautiful view from splash pool and work out room
- Service
- Auto curtain in the bathroom is just great
- It's fun to ride in the golf car down the hill (except when raining)

Something you can improve:
- Room condition, a bit ole, ei?
- Sofa -- please change new one. It's old and feeling itchy to sit on
- Your welcome drink... taste not good at all

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Momofagal
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Momofagal,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Siray Bay as your holiday destination and for taking time to share your thoughts with us.

I apologize that one of the rooms that you stayed in was not up to the standards befitting a Westin, and we will certainly look into which room you stayed in and investigate what causes the odor. Rest assured we attempt to maintain all levels of rooms to the same standards and quality.

Thank you for your kind words on our resort, the views and service from our team. We do hope to have another opportunity to welcome you and your family back again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The resort is beautiful. It has several pools and restaurants to choose from. The beach area is small but enjoyable. Our room and view were great. The hotel provides transportation to the pools and restaurants from your room. The variety and choice of food in the restaurants was great. We went during the rainy season and the resort was relatively quiet as most people do not travel there then. It only rained one evening and one afternoon but did not last long so it didn't affect our beach time or pool time!

Room Tip: Rooms that are higher up the resort do provide a good view but are sometimes farther away from the p...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Joball24,

Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased to know that your stay with us was enjoyable.

Thank you for taking time to share your experience and I hope to have another chance to welcome you back to The Westin Siray Bay again soon.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

An amazing hotel in a stunning location with incredible staff who made this corporate team building weekend a great success.
The hotel is set on a hill and quite spread out hence buggies to take you to your room. We had 170 guests for a 3 day team building exercise. The check in and out process was extremely efficient with cold towels and a delicious juice drink on arrival and smiley and helpful staff. No one had to wait more than 5 mins to check in.
Prego Moon Deck was the perfect setting for our first night welcome dinner. Great food, good staff and a stunning setting looking out to sea.
Games on the beach worked perfectly.
Rooms were large with very comfy beds.
All in all a complete pleasure to do such an event here. I would highly recommend the hotel for any business trip you are planning. They can and will go to great lengths to make sure your trip is a great success.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Penny S,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to know that your event was successful and everything went well.

I’m glad that your team and 170 guests enjoyed the team building on our resort beach and had a comfortable stay with us in Phuket.

Thank you for your recommendation. I truly appreciate your feedback and hope we will the opportunity host another refreshing event again.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The westin siray bay is very good resort. It located on Siray island near the Phuket airport. I can see a beautiful view from the lobby. It has a good view. I see the sea and a lot of island. When I check in already, he take me to the room by club car. The room is very great design. A bed is big and comfortable. A bathroom has a bathtub and a shower. I can watch TV from a bathroom. I can see a view from my room. My room has a small pool in front of room. The breakfast has a lot of choices. It has Thai food, bread, soup, orange juice, fruit, salad and other foods. The hotel has many facilities. The pool is near the lobby. It is very large and has a lot of zone. I can see the sea from the pool and beautiful sunset. It is very romantic. At night, the hotel will turn on the light around the pool. Someone drink near the pool and talk. It seem fun. The hotel doesn't has a bad thing but it located on the high mountain. I am very tired to go to the room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Enjoylife2013,

First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your visit at our resort.

Thank you for your kind comments. Indeed, our rooms are spacious and feature great views of Siray Bay – I’m happy to know that you found our signature Heavenly Bed so comfortable.

I hope that we’ll have the pleasure to welcome you back for another relaxing holiday soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is a lovely resort with nice rooms and quality service. There are several good restaurants on site, but there isn't anything else available for miles.

There is an extremely steep hill to get to most rooms which is truly a workout. The hotel offers rides to your room via a cart which was helpful.

My room was above the upper pool which looked like it was in need of maintenance. Otherwise, the hotel is a nice property.

This is probably best for a honeymoon or an escape. It is about 45 minutes taxi into the main areas.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear MchellM,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I’m always happy to hear guests had an enjoyable time staying at The Westin Siray Bay.

Thank you for recommending us as the best place for honeymoon. I hope to welcome you back again for another restful holiday in the near future.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Location - Excellent depending on what you are looking for
This resort is close to Phuket town, and I believe is the only one in this area. We loved the location, it is not swamped by tourists and night spots, although there are great restaurants, unique architecture, shopping, and bars to be found hidden around Phuket Town- I'd suggest Siam Indigo for food and Ban Boran Textiles/Yaowarat rd especially for quality! The taxi price is 300 baht each way. When you take a taxi you can usually ask staff for a price to the destination and the driver will honour this. There are also shuttles to and from Phuket Town (stopping at Robinson's Mall) and Central Festival Mall at 100 baht each way per person with the 2 destinations interchanging every second day. This area is also closer to some excellent activities including Phi Phi Island departure points and Thai Cookery School.

Dining - Average
Westin also has 3 main restaurants we went to (Prego, EEST, Seasonal Tastes) , these are convenient but costly and the food is average. Prego had a Waygu Wednesday that was pricy but the food notably tasted much better (steak with unlimited sides), also the Mongolian BBQ by Horizon Pool (lunch special) was good. Room service was better than many hotels we have stayed at but some things were pretty poor (pizzas and desserts - better at the Prego restaurant if you don't want to head out of the resort). Buffet Breakfast was included at Seasonal Tastes, and while there was a fairly wide selection the food was just okay. We mainly stuck to the continental breakfast foods each day here.

Service - Generally great
The check in was warm and friendly, and the service is mostly very good. We did find the check out with one staff member (at 5.30am mind you) not so friendly. On another day we asked the same staff member for the price to Kata beach and he referred the question to the taxi driver who charged 700 baht.

Taxi tips: When getting a taxi make sure the driver knows the way if you're on a schedule, this particular driver took almost 1.5 hours for what we were told should be a 20 min drive (to Kata), going in circles and stopping 3 times to ask for directions. Separately from this when you take a taxi the driver may want to take you to elsewhere from your intended destination as I found out on my last trip, by asking if you are going shopping (avoid saying this), what you want to do etc, and saying that there is 'nothing' at your intended destination - if you definitely know where you want to go stick to it and bring a map (we had a small one in our Lonely Planet Phuket Encounter guide).

Pools and leisure - uncrowded and well kept
The resort has 3 pools and we spent a lot of our time by Prego Pool relaxing. There are lots of recliners, towels, and all 3 have bars nearby. There is a pool table at Splash and ping pong at Prego. They all come with beautiful views and are are clean and large. We decided to go on the 'city tour' (2 hours) that was listed in the weekly schedule they give you at check-in to get a feel for things as my fiancé had not been to Phuket before and we thought they might take us to some unique places. This was on special at I think 700 baht per person. We were taken in a private car with a driver and Westin guide to Khao Rang Hill, the Shrine of Serene Light in Phuket Town, and then the Robinson's mall. We were pretty disappointed in the latter, there are some really special places to go shopping in Phuket Town and being left for 40 minutes at Robinson's where the shuttles go every second day was wrong. We asked to be taken to Yaowarat road instead but the driver had left the car. Our guide, Dodo, however made the experience worthwhile in our opinion with lively conversation throughout, answering our questions - and when we asked to be taken elsewhere he set about looking for the driver which we appreciated. When we saw him around the resort in the following days he would come and say hello and have a chat. We also booked an outside tour to Ao Phang Nga, John Gray's Sea Canoe at the tour desk- absolutely spectacular!

The wifi internet is fairly fast and consistent compared to what we normally get back home, and is free in public areas.

Room - Spacious and comfortable
We stayed in a deluxe sea view room and the view was really exceptional, as they are around the whole resort. The balcony is great for 2 with a dining table outside and a lounge. The room was clean, comfortable (great bed) and very spacious. However, it could do with an update as there were some large visible cracks in the room.The rooms are on a hill but you can get a tuk tuk around the resort, we found that these were usually quick to get to the room (within 5 minutes) however twice they didn't show up, when we told a staff member she was very apologetic and said we would be given priority, from then on we didn't have any problems with this.

I went with my fiancé and would definitely recommend Westin Siray Bay for a romantic and relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angela570
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Angela570,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience with other travelers. I am pleased that you recommended us as a destination for a romantic getaway. I appreciate the extra time you took to write a comprehensive review.

It is great to know that you enjoyed the relaxing time by the pools, our room and service from our team. However, I am surprised to read your comments about our restaurants as we always receive positive feedback especially our buffet breakfast.

Once again, thank you for recommending us and I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed for 4 days in July to celebrate my kid's birthday. We had booked a seaview room with pool access. The general manager Julien and his assistant Gift had kindly arranged a birthday cake, balloons and a tailormade birthday card which had melt my little one's heart!

The view from our room is just stunning...and the pool outside adds more value to our stay as we can play water any time.

The buffet breakfast is almost perfect and I just love the fresh fruit soothes!

Though the location is a bit isolated, it doesn't affect our mood at all as taking taxi out as needed is not a problem at all. 'Built along the mountain' is one of the best things that we like as if tsunami came, it is a lot easier to survive (crazy thinking ha?!)

I must have to mention the very lovely names whom my son will miss even after returning to HK: golf cart / Concierge : Kim, Por and Maay
seasonal restaurant: Benz
Kids club: Aom, Nan

They are all just exceptionally friendly and touch my heart!

We will definitely return to Westin Siray Bay in the future!

All the best!
Cora

• Stayed: July 2013
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Cora,

I appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments. It is always great to hear that your guests had an enjoyable stay with us.

I am pleased that everything from the room, breakfast buffet to your son’s birthday celebration went well. I will certainly pass on your comments to our associates who will be proud to have made your special.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful feedback with us and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phuket Town
SALA Phuket Resort & Spa
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach
Sri Panwa Phuket Luxury Pool Villa Hotel
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!