“Tolerable...For A Short Stay”

Phuket Center Apartment
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Tolerable...For A Short Stay”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Sorry for the mini book to follow, but I believe in giving my honest opinion, and hope that my review helps others to make an informed decision. In addition, I like to write...

I would give this place a 2.5 star rating. I visited Thailand (Bangkok and Chiang Mai recently (early Dec. 2013). While there, I decided that I wanted to visit Phuket as well, so I booked a last minute side trip to Phuket. Usually I select my lodging carefully. I read reviews, etc., but since this was a last minute side trip, I didn't have much time to do that. I looked at a few hotels online and chose the the Phuket Center Apartments, probably because it had the word apartment in the name. I prefer apartment style lodging over standard hotel lodging. I usually rent condos that have full kitchens because I like to cook some of my own meals, especially breakfast.

The Phuket Center Apartments has 3 apartment types, standard, studio, and a suite. I booked a standard room, which was quite inexpensive. When I arrived, I found out why. 1) Standard rooms are small, and most have no windows; 2) standard rooms, nor studios have microwaves, and 3) worst of all, I was told that all standard rooms are on the 2nd floor. The same floor as the hotel laundry, which is near the elevator. When I arrived, there were many piles of dirty linen and towels strolled through the hall on the 2nd floor near the laundry. Who wants to walk past multiple piles of dirty linen and towels each time they come and go to and from their room/apartment? I certainly don't! Not only do I feel that is unsanitary, negative energy is associated with that as well. Once when waiting for the elevator, when it opened, it was piled 1/2 way to the top with dirty linen. No person on the elevator, just the dirty linen. Knowing that there was no way in hell that I wanted to stay in this room, I went to the front desk, which by the way, they barely speak English at the front desk, and told them that I did not want that room on the 2nd floor, that I wanted a room with a microwave, which apparently, only the suites have microwaves. This is not made clear on their advertisement. From their pictures, it appears that all rooms have microwaves. They don't! There is free Wi-Fi though that worked pretty well, better than the Wi-Fi connection that I had in Chiang Mai. Internet connection is vital for me when I travel. Fortunately I was able to get them to upgrade me to a suite, which is like a one bedroom apartment. Plenty of room and everything worked in the suite. This was NOT a free upgrade. On my first full day there, I returned to the apartment from an all day tour, around 8:30 p.m. to find that the apartment had NOT been cleaned. I had to go to the front desk and ask for clean towels and toilet paper. The next few days that I was there, the apartment was cleaned. My stay there was 4.5 days. Like the title reads...Tolerable...for a short stay (week or less).

On a different note, the location is not a heavy tourist area and is quite a distance from the beach areas such as Patong, Kata Beach, and other beach areas. However, the area is not short on restaurants, and has a nice personality all of its own. I noticed several Italian restaurants. There is a food market next door, which was convenient. In a taxi it will cost at least 600 baht to get to Patong from this location. So if you're a beach person, this is not the area for you, unless you plan to drive or rent a motorbike, and unless you are a very skilled driver, I would not recommend driving a car or a motorbike in Phuket. Most of the people there drive all over the road and drive quite recklessly. Many people, young and old ride motorbikes there. I was told by an Italian gentleman that I met, who lives in Phuket part of the year,...that most people "pay" for their licenses there. What does that tell you?

Room Tip: If you want comfort and space, book a suite. Unless you don't mind small rooms and don't mi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Thai first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We used this hotel as a jumping point for our Thailand adventure. It was really close to the pier and was also a great hotel with friendly staff and comfortable accommodations. The price was also right for our needs. There were great restaurants right next door as well. The only problem was a weird noise like someone moving a chair across the floor??

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hurworth-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This hotel is best described as cheap and cheerful but I did enjoy my stay here as the beds are comfy and the room has everything you could need (kettle, fridge etc) There are some very nice restaurants near by and the staff were very helpful. There were a few things that were broken in the room such as the shower door and shower head but apart from that it was great and I would of given it a 4 apart from these things.

The hotel is very far away from the airport so expect to pay a fair bit in taxi fares.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here for one night in July 2013. Had booked a studio but got upgraded to suite due to overbooking. No nonsense hotel with great wifi (free). Quiet, clean and central location with a big supermarket next door and a few restaurants nearby. Walking distance to the Old Town and Robinsons Dept Store. Reception booked me a taxi and gave me an early morning wake up call without fuss.

Room Tip: Get a studio, larger and on top floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrisbaneRobert
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 31, 2013

A hotel next to old town with a grocery store, 4 restaurants and a Thai massage place and ATM/Bank all around it.
Room is large but on 3 levels and the bed is just a foot off the ground. Large shower/wash room and free WiFi. Quiet and A/C works well. Hot water if you want it.
Safe in the lobby. They give you a key. Friendly staff.
I noticed some airline crew uses this hotel for their layover.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights for City tour and before leaving to Phi Phi.

Location is not bad. Quiet area, a small shopping market downstair (the hotel building used to be a market before changing into hotel). A few restaurant and massaging outlet nearby, just next door. Walking out to the main street there are bakery, coffee shops, banks, motor workshop, motor rental service, hotels....

You can walk from here to the department store the Robinson in town. Walking by foot is around 15 minutes and there is tuk-tuk available. I'll recommend you to walk.

Hotel staff are nice and friendly. Wifi available. I visited there during their national public holiday so I have problem looking for supper. Luckily the staff is kind enough to help me order Mc Donald delivery to my doorstep.

Hotel is clean and rooms are good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank siauhwa
Edinburgh
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Paid 1000THB for the night as we were leaving on the boat to Phi Phi the next morning so wanted to be near the ferry. We have paid this amount for other rooms in Thailand and they have been fantastic. This however was a JOKE! We booked a twin room and had literally 2 mattresses on the floor. The mattresses were rocks, neither of us got any sleep. And the air conditioner was like it was either blowing out snow or didnt work - so we were either baltic or boiling. If you are thinking along the lines of us and want a night in the old town before the ferry - do yourself a favour and either stay where you were on the other side of the island or DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends