“awful experience!”

Ranked #107 of 134 Hotels in Karon
Sydney, Australia
“awful experience!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I booked 10 months in advance for my honeymoon! Very excited to check-in, we were told that they had double booked our room, and would be moved to the ibis, a budget hotel, for the first of three nights. 10 months in advance, and not a room available for me?? So every other guest booked more than 10months in advance?The customer relations man then tried to say that the ibis is 'just as good'. I looked up the rate on the spot, to find it was almost half of what I was paying. I asked if I could at least have the difference refunded, and I was told that wasn't possible. I then said I'd prefer to just cancel and go to another hotel, and he said that wasn't possible. So...the hotel can not have a room for me, but refuse to refund me my payment?? How is that lawful?? It took about 20mins of frustration and complaining to have our room upgraded from the deluxe to the junior suite for the remaining two nights.

Myself and my pregnant wife were starving after long travels, and the customer relations worker wouldn't even offer us a free meal when I hinted "some sort of discount for our inconvenience". So he offered us 15% discount* we had to pay for our own meal (VERY expensive! The same meal is almost a fifth of the price in town), and be moved to a budget hotel, instead of our cliff face resort on the first night, without any refund.

Finally we checked in on the second night. The first hick up was the room we were upgraded to, didn't have wifi, even though it was advertised in our rate (It doesn't make sense that the deluxe suites have wifi, but one of the top rooms doesn't).

Room was very nice, although the walk to the lobby is very long and uphill! My pregnant wife was struggling!

The room was VERY hot when the airconditioning wasn't on, and obviously if the key isn't inserted in the wall, the aircon isn't on. We resulted in taking the key off the keytag and leaving it in all day. If not, when returning to the room, temperatures were similar to outside.

After finally being checked in, a worker knocked on the door and handed us a bottle of evian water with a smile, which we drank. The second night, there was another bottle sitting in our room, which we drank.

Upon checkout, we were charged FOUR DOLLARS per bottle. I explained how a worker handed it to me, and neither of the bottles had the minibar seal on the cap like the others did (including another bottle of evian), to which I was told "oh we've run out of stock of the stickers". On top of that, after paying off our remaining balance, I later calculated that he never gave me the 15% discount he promised.

Although beautiful views, this place is a joke. If you've already screwed over your guests, don't get cocky and try and rip them off more.

Location wise, this place isn't great either. It does have beautiful views, but the closest town is about 2km away, and they charge about $9 for a 2 person transfer to the town (less than 5mins!), and after 6pm, the fees go up further. So you're either forced to have dinner at their expensive restaurant, or pay over $10 for a 5min trip for dinner, so either isn't worth it.

By the end of our stay, I was somewhat recovering from the double-booking incident, but the fact the resort was cunning enough to charge me for water that they led me to believe was free, is just awful. Although beautiful, they will gouge you at every opportunity possible.

Room Tip: If you're going to a resort to relax, this isn't the one
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I found this place on Trip Advisor, was great value and we really enjoyed it. Came with family and boyfriend for one week here. Breakfast was large buffet, the fresh banana pancakes were the best, other restaurant food was good but not as exciting as eating further away. The view is exceptional, the pools are clean and quiet, this place is 5-10 mins up from Karon Beach by Tuk Tuk.
Free shuttle bus to Karon Beach and Patong daily, otherwise rent a motorbike or just wave down a Tuk Tuk. It was great to stay up from the beach to get a breeze and a view. Place is situated in green tree area, lots of steps, but even my grandma loved it, and was happy walking around. Kept us fit!
Would prefer a more frequent courtesy bus, and better wifi in rooms (wifi great in restaurant & reception), and the hotel is split across a busy road, we were lucky staying on the restaurant side.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay on the restaurant/reception side of the road, it would be unfortunate to stay on...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gooseylucyloo
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Amazing views. Friendly staff. Clean room. The pool looking over the beach absolutely amazing for sunset. The manager can speak fantastic English. Only thing I could suggest to the hotel is a more frequent Courtesy bus to and from the beaches. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I would give the Secret Cliff 4 stars other than a reservation issue (they overbooked) which forced them to move me to another hotel in Kata for the first night. Otherwise the Secret Cliff is beautiful with stunning views and a real value for the money. I did not experience the poor service that others have complained about. In fact the manager and staff were quite friendly and helpful. One negative aspect, the hotel is about 3 kn from Karon Beach or Patong and taxis charge a rediculous 300 baht each way. I rented a motorbike from the hotel for 300 baht/day.

• Stayed January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had a great time at this resort, we stayed in the villas, it is competely detached from the resort and the road to cross too get to the restaurant is very dangerous and busy. I definitely recommend hiring a moped for your stay. The pool is nice but there is definitely not wi-fi in the rooms.
On check out, the staff asked to inspect the room before we left they didn't even care when we said we were in a hurry. We were then charged 600 baht!! for the slippers not being in the room, my partner argued as we were told that they were complimentary, the manager or owner of the resort then said that the slippers are not complimentary as they use the same slippers for every guest that stays in the hotel, the staff are rude, we didn't have a seaview villa, which we paid for, the villas are basic, I would recommend the stay just for the beds, they are incredibly comfortable.
I was happy with my stay until check out. They will rip you off.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tahnoii
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in January '13. Hotel is split into 2 sections as per other reviews. A very busy main road divides the two, quite dangerous to cross during the day. One half has the main hotel reception, hotel rooms, the spa, restaurant, bar & the 2nd section across the road has a pool, small bar, small reception & more rooms. Staff are friendly but have very limited English. We visited the pool for one day only as the pool area was dirty, the bar attendant was non-existant - we had to go to the reception desk to ask to be served. We noticed dirty glasses at the pool - which remained for several days! The room itself was clean & attended to every day. Because of the main road, this is a noisy location with traffic on the road at all hours. Breakfast was good but staff appear to be lazy & lacked motivation. At check out the hotel decided to charge us for their New Year Gala Dinner even though we didnt book a table! After some time, this charge was removed with no apology! Bear in mind also that you will need to get a tuk tuk everywhere as the road is too dangerous to walk on. Honestly, we dont believe this hotel is worth the money & unfortuntely would not recommend it as there are definitely better properties than this one in Phuket.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Snuggybug

Travelers are raving about these Karon hotels

Hong Kong
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This hotel disappointed us when first we arrived. They took an hour to check us in because the reservation staff was out. They put us in a room which is up on the hill with nonfunctional A/C and we had to cross the frightening and dangerous road where it's on the hill and cars passing all the time. Most the room are located on the high steep hill so the hotel is not good for children and older people at all. Plus the hotel is in between Karon and Patong which is far from everything and the taxis fares are a rip- off. Later in the evening a hotel staff called us that they will need to charge us 2,000 baht more (2 people) because it said only 2 rooms for 2 people on my hotel voucher which i got it from my booking agent. I refused to pay because no other hotels in the world would charge for the 2nd person in each room. But i agree to pay for 2 extra persons for breakfast which is 600 (300*2) and its not worth with their very basic breakfast. They told me to call my booking agent but i refused to call and told them to call for me. Then again they kept us waiting for an hour and told us they couldn't get hold of the agent. In the next morning, we wanted to check out and again they wanted us to pay 2,000 baht and this time i called the booking agent for them and transfer the line to talk with them. I was waiting for them to finish phoning with the agent for 30 mins. I asked them what was going on and the agent say. They said they couldn't get hold of the agent because they got hang up. And they kept me waiting for nothing!! They send me to the main lobby to talk with a reservation staff. She was so rude and insisting to make me pay then the phone rang up and she picked up and talking on the phone while other receptionist next to her is available. Then she kept me waiting for 15 mins. I scream out and told her i want a check-out now, she ended up putting the phone away and let me go. I stayed in several hotels and i would say this one is the worst!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family