“A Nice little hide away” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secret Cliff Resort

Secret Cliff Resort
Ranked #102 of 132 Hotels in Karon
Ashmore, Australia
“A Nice little hide away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

For the price of this hotel is really good value, we have stayed in a room near the horizon pool and this was up there with the more expensive options. Located of the top of a hill, but only way to the beach is a 10 min shuttle to the beach. Great restaurant nice seafood.

Room Tip: Get ocean view room
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Thai first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 9 nights from 29/12/12 on arrival to the hotel everything was nice, staff friendly however English not very good. We stayed in room 206 which was across a busy road from the reception, bar and restaurant. Nice clean room with a large bed not very good air con takes a long time to get the room cool. The room was a sea view room which was ok, think it would have been better to say it was a room with a view of the Mauy Thai boxing gym situated on the premises, training starts early so this would be your early morning alarm call.
Breakfast is from 6:30-10:30 however didn't go most days as we couldn't be bothered trying to cross the road. Service at the restaurant is very slow went for lunch one day and it took over 20 mins for a chicken sandwich to be brought out.
Shuttle service to Patong and Karon is free at specified times however out with those times can be paid for at reception for 200-300 Bhat, we a got a tuk tuk that can be flaged down at the road.
This hotel is very basic and clean, wouldn't recommend this to elderly or families with small children as the hills and stairs to the rooms are very steep and not lit very well at night and the road to the reception is very busy.
Overall a good stay however wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed here for 16 nights bar 5 in the middle of the holiday. We used this hotel as a base really. On arriving to the hotel they were welcoming and took us to the room not as big as it looks in pictures but clean, didn't have a double bed as requested but we pushed the singles together then the next day they changed for us.
The staff r very friendly one thing which annoyed me was the room wasn't cleaned till 6pm some days. Most this wouldn't bother but wen u want to come bk to your room and chill out and then want to get ready to go out and have no fresh towels its annoying!!
A massive thank you to the young boy on reception he let us use his phone to Skype home which we thought was lovely.
The pool areas lovely, clean, happy he is pretty poor 15% off! What's the point not a happy hour to me!
We went and bought own snacks and drinks from shop as much cheaper.
If u want to be in centre of all what's happening then don't stay here unless u r happy to pay for taxi to patong its 300 b and to Karon its 200b which seems cheap but adds up when u need to go into town for breakfast then dinner.
We rented a mo ped so we found it cheaper don't rent from hotel rent from town its cheaper and it will be about 200-250b a day. You can walk into patong or karon but takes about 15 mins. Also not reccomended to do so at night.
They provide you with a beach bag and towels.
Shop around wen booking this hotel we paid £35 a night on Asia rooms.com for that u can't fault it but another family paid £150 a night that's a rip!

Room Tip: Villa not the boxing ring side
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

A beautiful location with a run down hotel that could be forgiven with if the service was at least polite.

The rooms have no wifi, no DVD and fuzzy tv reception. The 'shuttle service' is basically non-existent and it costs 300b each time you want to go into town by taxi which you need to do because there is nothing here except a nice but small pool and a great view. A regular shuttle would have been good.

Our booking was not read correctly by the hotel so there weren't enough beds and trying to correct this proved very difficult, especially as the manager was rude and unapologetic. The same happened when we tried to book an airport transfer.

The air conditioner in 115 leaked water and soaked the floor. There are no phones in the rooms that work so you can't contact reception unless you want a long walk up the hill - not a a good idea in the dark as it is very poorly lit.

We were also charged 200b because the kids got dirt on a towel. This was the icing on the cake! Don't go here!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jenniferjem

Travelers are raving about these Karon hotels

Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and i spent 5 days in junior suite room. Views are great. Restaurant food was reasonable, not great. Be aware that access to the accommodation is very steep.I wouldn't recommend for anyone that has mobility issues. Staff are good. I would go back again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank glenmitchell64
Kulai, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

This review was meant for the hotel reservation department and its assigned reservation company, not the front desk staff. I can't comment the front office staffs yet because I haven't been there. I wanted to book a candlelight dinner with the hotel during my stay; therefore, I email the hotel for more information. I received an email regarding to the set meals they had. So I replied with my dining confirmation. Guess what? No replies at all later, nothing! I sent several emails for further confirmation and I even sent a fax to them from Switzerland! At the end, I decided to cancel my whole booking including room reservation because I feel like I am booking a ghost hotel without anyone working on it. At the end, its reservation company forward me several emails, insists that the hotel did contact me and ask me to check my email properly; together with the clause "No Cancellation, No Refund". Well, at first I thought is my problem; but when I looked into the forwarded emails, I found out that all emails were sent by the hotel to the reservation company, they did not CC or BCC to me at all! Now, how can I receive the emails when the emails are not sent to me? The worst part is, the reservation staff insists that that is my problem for not receiving the mails by highlighting the "proves"! All the proves highlight was sent by me to the hotel, not hotel to me! For God sake, they don't even know how to track emails and identify who is the one sending emails. As a hospitality student, one thing I understand for sure is we cannot argue with guests, no matter in what circumstances are! Furthermore, they made themselves look stupid by forwarding the emails to "prove" themselves. They really underestimated the power of "Word of Mouth", especially spread by those who are in the same industry.

If the hotel staff is reading this, please, improve your attitude and communicate better with guests. Make sure it is not your mistake first before accusing others. You are really making all guests pissed off!

Since they are not going to cancel my booking and I fully aware of it. I will still fulfil my part of the agreement by continuing staying with them. Hope the front desk staffs won't be as terrible as the back office.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heavendust
Tallinn, Estonia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

We got a totally horrible experience there. After we had sent back our beef twice (over cooked, not tender, low-quality cartilaged meat) we had to wait 30min for the subsitute dish even though there was only one other table occupied in the restaurant. The tiger prawns were also overcooked. Also due to some construction work there some kind of rust dripped on my jacket. Lucikily I was able to remove the staines.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple