“Great place, great deal”

Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 147 Karon B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Great place, great deal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I had such a great time at Sunshine guesthouse. Greg and his staff were awesome. They were extremely accommodating and pleasant. Honestly, the staff makes this place top notch! Thank you for a wonderful stay. We hope to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KrissLH
KaronSunshine, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Hi,
Many thanks for you lovely comments and taking the time to write a review for us - greatly appreciated in both cases.
I have commented a number of times in different responses to reviews about my staff and i continue to sing their values and will do so for a long while yet. I am daily visiting service oriented places whether it be a food hall for a quick bite or mega super market for supplies and i still claim that my folks are simply the best! Once in a while i get to visit more up market establishmnets where the staff are paid heaps more than my guys and where you would expect the level of service to be signifiantly higher and my guys win the prize again.If there were an Olympics for the service/hospitality industry i am not sure we would win Gold but we would definitely be in with a good chance of a medal.
We loved having you stay with us and we look forward to seing you again in the near future even though it is a helluva trip for you to get here.
Greg and the Sunshine crew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Croydon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights! It's right in the thick of it, so we were worried about noise, but in our room it was quiet. It may be because we were situated at the back!

Friendly staff, nice atmosphere downstairs (bar area) and a great place to crash if you're travelling through. Air con was fine, it was reasonably priced, and I would recommend staying here.

Karon was too touristy for us, but if you're passing through, it's perfect!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adeline1987
KaronSunshine, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hi,
Thank you for your comments and taking time out to write a review for us, it is genuinely appreciated.
Based on my personel experience both here in Karon, Patong and other destinations in Thailand I would still like to think that we "punch above our weight" in goods and services we provide even though we are in the budget end of the market.Things like offering beach towels, book exchange service, supplying bathroom/shower amentities and free in room WIFI are some of the additional items we offer that i have not seen in other similar budget accomodation around the country. We try to maintain levels of cleanliness and hygene to western standards and the cleaning staff are constantly monitored and tutored on delivering a high standard of service. I hope we meet these expectations but of course realise from time to time the staff have a bad cleaning day. Not too often i hope!.
The downstairs area was designed specifically to be a chill out area where you can grab a drink and watch the world go by, watch your favorite sport on satellite TV or sit with fellow travellers and exchange information and stories on your travels. Predictably the stories become bigger, bolder and braver as the evening wears on! This area is an extension of our lounge room.
December, January, Febuary, March particularly are the peak months for visitors in Phuket and the place is packed. Off season, April onwards tends to be much quieter, a little less touristy and the prices are much cheaper during this low season but the weather can be wet and humid and the surf unswimable due to rips. Best times to come are April and Oct/ Nov either after the mad rush of high season or before the start of the new season. Less people, lower prices and a less touristy feel about the place, a more Thai feel if you know what i mean. Patong on the other hand is a tourist mecca 24/7, 365 days a year which is perfect for some people but has little or nothing to do with "Thailand". Worth a visit but not to stay.
We are gald you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
holidayfan83
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Clean, comfortable and what an amazing welcome!

I felt immediately at home, was welcomed very warmly, and the fabulous staff at Karon Sunshine couldn't do enough to help. Greg (the owner) has said that his staff may not speak the best English in the world, but they're incredibly welcoming, and he's right - the genuine warmth and friendliness of all of the staff was wonderful - and Lucky (resident pooch) is absolutely gorgeous, and always happy to have her tummy tickled!

3 minutes walk to the beach, great array of shops, stalls, bars and restaurants in tripping distance and a beach towel available for each resident each day - excellent!

Greg was able to point me on the direction of Ben, another lovely lady, for booking trips and excursions, as well as my transfer back to the airport, in addition to giving me advice about the 'usual' tourist trips - amazing!

I stayed for 7 nights, and will happily go back. I received better service here than I have at 'higher' star rated hotels and restaurants. No, there isn't a mint on your pillow, the maid isn't bringing you room service, but there's a warm welcome, and clean, comfortable surroundings, in room safe and tea and coffee making facilities and complementary bottled water - what more could you need?.

Room Tip: Room 4 overlooks the street - clean, comfortable and spacious. Yes, you can hear some noise at night...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank holidayfan83
KaronSunshine, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Hi,
Thank you for your lovely comments and responding so quickly after your trip. I am really pleased that we have lived up to our commitment to provide warm, genuine and personable hospitality. Of course achieving this goal is made so much easier when dealing with guests that are warm, freindly, accepting and open to what we are trying to achieve. It was our pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to a return visit in the near future - you are "just down the road" so no excuses!
Thanks again for taking time out to write a review, I have shared your comments with the staff and they are also pleased you had a good time here.
Best wishes for a " you beaut" 2013
Greg and hte Sunshine crew.
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Well priced, excellently located guest house in Karon.

Simple (but clean) comfortable rooms, and friendly and attentive staff. Didn't meet the proprietor, but a courtesy e-mail after the stay to check that everything was ok was a nice touch.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DOwen_73
KaronSunshine, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to write a review for us - it is appreciated.
Sorry we did not meet up but i spend most of my time these days either on the road shopping for the Guesthouse, paying bills etc or in the "back Office" doing all the mundane and laborius paper work and believe there is a lot. Some people say i have a wonderful head that looks best in the "back office" but fortunately i am thick skinned and these hurtful jibes don't penetrate my rhino skin.I digress.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back and adding to the ever growing list of returning guests and customers.
Best wishes for2013
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

We had a two day stay here and it was really awesome. The Hotel staff always hold a smile in their face and help us. They helped us in getting vehicle returning airport. It was really hassle free checking in and checking out.
I would say best for those who just want to move around the places and return back for a good nice sleep.
Thanks to Greg, who responds in case of any queries at a faster manner.
Will sure visit again.

Room Tip: Indian restaurent next street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vijay j
KaronSunshine, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Hi,
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review and your comments as well -they are much appreciated and i share them with the staff so they also know they are doing a good job.
Do i have the most educated hospitality staff in Phuket - no, do i have staff with the best English skills on the island - no and do i have staff with the most knowledge of the island - no ,but i will back my guys day in day out for their natural warmth, humor and efforts to make all our guests and customers have a great and memorable time with us. I have seen the girls lugging cases i could not lift up the stairs, i have seen them patiently waiting for a check in guests at 2.00am and never lost their smiles and i have seen them continually doing that little bit extra to help guests out without any expectation of remuneration. They are the best!!!!!
We look forward to seeing you back this way again.
Greg
Aalsmeer, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

My father had a great time in sunshine guesthouse. Clean comfortable rooms and very helpfull staff. Greg was very fast with answering questions by email and arranged everything perfectly!!! THank you for that greg and your wife. herewith a big thank you and regards from my father!!!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mmaarse
KaronSunshine, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Hello in Holland,
Thank you for writing a review for us and taking the time out of your hectic schedule to do so - much appreciated. Having Papa stay with us was our pleasure and we all enyoyed seeing his smiling face throughout his stay. He was certainly more at home in the bigger superior room than the standard and i would certainly recommend this room for people staying longer time.
We look forward to seeing him back again in the future.
Best wishes to all,
Greg and the Sunshine crew,
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

The staff were extremely helpful the moment I arrived. Unfortunately I arrived before my luggage! Greg pointed me in direction of a market so I could by a few essentials and were willing to phone me if my luggage arrived while I was away from the property. (It arrived later that day.) Though in a lively street my room was to the rear and afforded me a good night's sleep to get over my jet lag. I had no qualms about my stay as the room was clean and at end the staff helped me book a taxi back to the airport. Thankyou to you all!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Fiona R
KaronSunshine, Owner at Karon Sunshine Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to write a review - much appreciated.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were well looked after.
As you experienced everything you need is a short walk from us - beach, shops, markets, mini markets, pharmacies, restaurants, beauty shops, massage shops, bars, coffee shops so you do not have to go far to get almost anything you need but we are far enough away from the action for you to enjoy a good night's sleep.
We look forward to seeing you back this way again and next time you and your luggage arrive together!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greg and the Sunshine gang